NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

JSA and PSA grade both the signature and the baseball. I can't speak for any other grading companies, nor do I really care what they say or do.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-20-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Dan Bretta

Wow! I knew you were able to remove cards from scrapbooks, but I hadn't realized you also doctor cards. So have you ever seen your handiwork inside a slab?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Barry Sloate

If the creases can be removed so that they are entirely invisible, and the graders can't even detect they were once there...well, do I even have to finish my thought?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
Then, like now, 50% of the worlds population agreed what I did, 50% did not
Im not completely agreeing with your math, at least here anyway Dick. What, do you badly need some cash? The N54 membership here can be quite charitable, if this ia the case.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

That's great Dick, you can doctor cards with such skill that it is undetectable. I congratulate you. May you continue to help dealers get altered cards into holders.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Wow! I knew you were able to remove cards from scrapbooks, but I hadn't realized you also doctor cards. So have you ever seen your handiwork inside a slab?
This is a foregone conclusion to me.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is a foregone conclusion to me.
Yeah...I hadn't read the interview with him before I wrote that earlier today. Really the only thing I knew DickTowle for was removing some cards out of a scrapbook for a Net54er.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Chuck Tapia

Folex works great for removing misc. ink transfer and that's all a collector needs. It also works great as a carpet spot cleaner. When I have to worry about names being scratched from the original ball....I just don' need it.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Folex works great for removing misc. ink transfer and that's all a collector needs. It also works great as a carpet spot cleaner. When I have to worry about names being scratched from the original ball....I just don' need it.
would like to apologize for the issues brought up on chat 54. As I said I have the upmost respect for the people on your system, and was only trying to be honest as too what I do. Please allow me a moment to explain.

1. After reviewing my Simon's report on baseballs in allowing the removal of ink. I never met this gentleman, however I know he a very honorable person. I have decided the following, I will not do baseballs, I believe I can help a honest person, but somehow, evil will come in to play. I was talking to my attorney about this all last night. He felt I should do the ball, only with a letter from a ball grading company saying the autograph is false, and allow the good autograph to be graded. Maybe you can share this with Mr... Simon ?? for his impute.

2. As you know I said the word crease-- well that is just a word, if a card has a indent or paper wrinkle, or a bend do to warp, I call this a crease. Had I said the above would that make a difference, because that is what I do. I was accused by people of " doctoring a card- this is not true, I never add anything to a card-NEVER SIR. I only remove something that should not be on a card. In this case if I remove a card from a album and remove the glue, this would be considered doctoring??. I don't understand the "auction house" statement- I only sold graded cards in 2 auctions in my life over the years. Again I apologize, but I was only looking some honest impute from the group, however in one case a inappropriate comment was made, that was not fair. I only remove garbage on cards, a true crease will always remain. Thank you all for the time Sirs.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Well, that's a classy reply with substance.

I have no problem with using water only to remove scrapbook flotsam. As well as using light pressure and a clean paper sandwich to press dry these flowers after. This was described in detail on the old board.

Again, I'm glad your leaving our balls untouched Dick.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
would like to apologize for the issues brought up on chat 54. As I said I have the upmost respect for the people on your system, and was only trying to be honest as too what I do. Please allow me a moment to explain.

1. After reviewing my Simon's report on baseballs in allowing the removal of ink. I never met this gentleman, however I know he a very honorable person. I have decided the following, I will not do baseballs, I believe I can help a honest person, but somehow, evil will come in to play. I was talking to my attorney about this all last night. He felt I should do the ball, only with a letter from a ball grading company saying the autograph is false, and allow the good autograph to be graded. Maybe you can share this with Mr... Simon ?? for his impute.

2. As you know I said the word crease-- well that is just a word, if a card has a indent or paper wrinkle, or a bend do to warp, I call this a crease. Had I said the above would that make a difference, because that is what I do. I was accused by people of " doctoring a card- this is not true, I never add anything to a card-NEVER SIR. I only remove something that should not be on a card. In this case if I remove a card from a album and remove the glue, this would be considered doctoring??. I don't understand the "auction house" statement- I only sold graded cards in 2 auctions in my life over the years. Again I apologize, but I was only looking some honest impute from the group, however in one case a inappropriate comment was made, that was not fair. I only remove garbage on cards, a true crease will always remain. Thank you all for the time Sirs.
DickTowle-
Are you refering to me?? If so, I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Your post is so poorly written I find it difficult to understand.
For example what could you possibly mean in that first sentence:
"After reviewing my Simon's report on baseballs in allowing the removal of ink."
What are you talking about there? I never, never have written anything endorsing the removal of ink from a baseball, in fact I totally oppose the practice as much as many of the other posters on this thread.
Please clarify this Dick, in something I can understand.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-22-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Chuck Tapia

Default The Smudge!

What about smudges Dick? It seems that there are quite a few "smudged" signed balls out there that this could work on. In a rare instance, a collector "might" do what you were talking about like removing a fake Maris, with a real Mantle intact. I certainly wouldn't spend countless hours of research and thousands of dollars to create a solution to remove the fake. How many would use this for good instead of Evil? We''ll, you'll have to ask Maxwell Smart about that, but it seems pretty obvious. I can't see where you would have enough customers.

Personally, if I'm such a Jack *** that I purchase a fake, I'm taking batting practice with it at the Little League field...been there, done that. I'm not chasing more bad money by trying to remove the fake. I certainly wouldn't want to buy, sell or keep one like that. Maybe if It was a Clemente, Maris, Jackie, Munson on the Sweet Spot, someone like that with full disclosure, I might take a gander.

Now if you marketed the product as an ink and smudge remover for baseballs, a guy like me would be interested and maybe save the folex for just the carpet cleanin'.

What can you do for the toning Doc?

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-22-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default Self-entitlement

Uummmmmm....Peter here is my question to you. Who the F&^ck are you? What gives you and Sloate and a few others the right to make anyone explain themselves or prove anything to you as if you are like the hobby police or something. If you do not like auto's being removed from balls then stop buying balls. If you are not smart enought to play in the high end graded card game then get out. What business is it of yours if a man calls Dick and wants a fake Maris auto removed?

Gasp---be careful of buying that card it may have been trimmed or a crease was removed. All this negative propaganda is only making folks uneasy about buying cards that are in high grade.

Really enough is enough and how about posting something positive for a change.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Kevin O'Gara

wow, as rodney king once said, can't we all just get along. auto guys are out of control.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Marsh View Post
Uummmmmm....Peter here is my question to you. Who the F&^ck are you? What gives you and Sloate and a few others the right to make anyone explain themselves or prove anything to you as if you are like the hobby police or something. If you do not like auto's being removed from balls then stop buying balls. If you are not smart enought to play in the high end graded card game then get out. What business is it of yours if a man calls Dick and wants a fake Maris auto removed?

Gasp---be careful of buying that card it may have been trimmed or a crease was removed. All this negative propaganda is only making folks uneasy about buying cards that are in high grade.

Really enough is enough and how about posting something positive for a change.
LOL at least I use my real name. The better question, perhaps, is who are YOU?? And folks should be careful about buying high grade cards, in my opinion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-22-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Yesterday afternoon Leon posted the following on another thread

"There is no absolute anonymity on the board anymore so it's not like anyone can hide behind a keyboard and not be known."

So has something changed between then and now?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Dan Bretta

It's Marshall. I PMed him the other day and he said he assumed everyone knew it was him.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Default ?

I just naturally assumed that when you join that the moderators all see who it is. Anyone who met me at the National will have to say that i'm not the type to fear anything or bullshit about cards.

I'm not hiding from anything or anyone and with a username like Reginald Marsh i figured everyone would know it is me. I had a very positive conversation with Leon at the National and also showed him some cards i recently had graded because i figured he would dig them.

I think it is safe to say i had more Network54 members that approached me with a smile and handshake than i did those who just looked at me not knowing what to say.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=Reginald Marsh;744342]Uummmmmm....Peter here is my question to you. Who the F&^ck are you? QUOTE]

It's posts like these that make me scratch my head and wonder why I bother reading the posts on this message board. Some people have no tact.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-22-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Default Well.....

After watching the pile on in regards to Dick i figured someone should say something. I thought i was watching a episode of Matlock in regards to all the questions being asked so i simply posed a question which got no answer.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Barry Sloate

Marshall- what gives Sloate and others the right to ask people who post on the board to explain themselves? It's a chatboard, idiot! That's what a chatboard is for- for people to exchange ideas, ask questions, and interact. Why would you ask such an utterly stupid question?

And yes, for those who don't know, Reginald is our good buddy Marshall Barkman. I'm not sure that it is self evident.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-23-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Reg Marsh FYI,

I am sorry this happened to Dick, but it had to. Peter, Barry and many of us here are fed up with these questionable practices. Apparently you're too high-end and savvy... As a low grade, greenhorn collector, I've been burned by these doctors in the past. I also know of others in similar predicaments.

WE greatly appreciate and value their efforts to clean up this sleeze-magnet of a hobby. Why you're opposed to this makes me wonder why!

Your lambasting was over the top and deserves an apology. I hope it doesnt discourage these guys from continuing their good work -for the benefit of we beginners and novice vintage sports collectors. Cuz cosmetic surgery doesnt belong here and yes, it's a big deal to some of us.

Seems like there's hope for Mr Towle, by his own honorable reply.

Keep tearing 'em up fellas.
Steve F

Edit: Crapola, Marshall's back!?! Shoulda known. And i just thought the kitty box just needed to be dumped. Wish I had this five minutes back. I didnt realize this was that old elitist, attention whore again. Barkman, isn't ghere a polo match with Muffy or a croquet match with the Thurstons' this week?

Last edited by Ladder7; 08-23-2009 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Overwhelming need to mess with Marshall
Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Banned

Default ZZZZZZZZZZZz......

Steve and Barry........of course i realize it is a chatboard and that questions can be asked but over and over again is overkill. It was one thing to ask Dick a few questions in order to figure out what his intentions were but it did not stop there. The poor guy actually called his attorney over this situation.

One thing i notice about the board is that it has a rugby type of mentality where a bunch of folks just pile on a guy so i thought it best to then ask why?

Who cares if he removes a fake auto from a ball? If the guy was smart enough to ask PSA and James Spence their opinion about the process then it shows me he is not a malicious or fraudulant guy.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned

Default Hilarious....

Steve.... you do crack me up bro.I think their is a screening for like Rambo3 coming out and Stallone can't do the gig so i'm sure you'll fit the part.You can throw on your fatigues and play tough guy with the best of them.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Marshal, Rambo trilogy? Don't need the film... Heck, i lived it! Still beating down girls over there?

i understand class is a tough quality to grasp. Baby steps I reckon. Im just thrilled youve given up on your yoyo snoopy speak. (not as schnivily from a middle aged washout)

extra kudos on losing 'bring da noize' you pilfered. It was so play'd, so play'd.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Marshall- I really don't agree we were piling on Dick. I think they were intelligent questions, and that they were warranted. As you probably know the FBI is doing a pretty thorough investigation of this hobby, and you can be certain they will be asking a lot of tough questions as well. With so many bad things going on today, we have every right to be concerned about a product that if used inappropriately can cause any number of problems.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

When Dick proclaims, I don't do ink period (referring to cards), and I then go read an interview where he is advertising his success in removing ink, yes, I am going to ask questions. And given that by his own admission 50 percent of collectors disapprove of his practices, perhaps he should be consulting an attorney.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Never saw this as a personal attack on Dick,but as an attempt to show how Dick's good intentions would be twisted into something bad by the crooks. people wanted to know what steps he would take to prevent this,and if the reply was not clear, the question was asked again.

I always like to say that "money corrupts everything", but I believe Barry(?) said it better with "corruption and fraud always follows the money"

bottom line is that being quiet only benefits the bad guys.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Wasn't me, but a good quote indeed.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Richard Simon

I am still waiting for Dick to explain his reference to me in his last post,,,
"After reviewing my Simon's report on baseballs in allowing the removal of ink."
I repeat what I said before, I have never endorsed or condoned any removal of anything from a baseball. Dick's semi-literate posting implies that I have, but nothing could be farther from the truth.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not that I am aware of

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Yesterday afternoon Leon posted the following on another thread

"There is no absolute anonymity on the board anymore so it's not like anyone can hide behind a keyboard and not be known."

So has something changed between then and now?
Nothing has changed. Edited as the top several posts say who Reginald is

Last edited by Leon; 08-23-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: already stated...
Old 08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Default Honestly....

What really is played out is the whole negative aspect of constantly talking about the FBI,Mastro,card trimming,altering and so forth. Also please note Barry Goat that you implied dick was going to sell his product and i see you have failed to mention that now, my point is everytime a subject comes up then the piling on starts and rumors start.

In regards to the FBI investigation who cares? I mean in a world where Bernie Madoff can scam close to 50 billion dollars and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac can cripple the country with intimidating tactics the feds are busy trying to figure out baseball cards and who is corrupt in the hobby. If the feds want to do something then i hope they read this next thought.

How about get both parties in regards to the Honus Wagner card in the last transaction that bought and sold the card, also get PSA's best grader-SGC's best grader and an independent party who is a Mike Baker type and crack the Wagner and see if it has been trimmed. That is when the fun will start and the hobby may turn around a bit because that will be major news and the card trimmers will raise a eyebrow and probably watch their step from then on out.

In regards to schill bidding i have one word....BBBBBOOOORRRRIINNNGGGG! Every auction house i have gone into large or small has schill bidding of some sort hell even Sotheby's went down in regards to schill bidding so if you want honesty then start collecting pez collectors instead of high end ball cards because it comes with territory.

Wait......news is in that there is a new NET54 reality show in the works and the stars will be Mr.Brooklyn-Barry Goat, Steve F cross between Mr.T and rambo, and the super sluth Peter Spade.....camera zooms in on Mr. T eerr i mean Steve.......WOW-GASP-JEEZ.....the guy is doing 1 finger push ups with his pinky UNBELIVABLE......hmmmmm....what is that he is chanting......camera gets closer.......Mr. T is saying to himself i am the toughest SOB alive and i may just kill 75 people today if someone even looks at me wrong as another 1 finger push up is done.......

Steve F runs to the shower after his manly pushup session, he now gets out puts on his speedo and looks in the mirror.....i am the toughest baddest MF'er on the planet and jeez just look how strong i am.......he then runs to the computer to show all his manly spew....BRRRRINNNGGGGG it is the phone....it is none other than Barry Goat...........stay tuned for next weeks show.....
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Rawn Hill

Reggie, Baby, Sweetheart, I would appreciate it if you would not talk about friends of mine. Steve is a very good friend and I have read this thread thoroughly and I find nothing undeserved in his comments. Have you ever felt that you are staring into a large mirror when traveling down the road following a horse trailer?

Rawn
Old 08-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nothing has changed. Edited as the top several posts say who Reginald is
Dan posted after I made my post yesterday and he revealed to us Reginald is Marshall.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Rawn...does the word bias ring a bell?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Marsh, fairly clever. But sorry no, we can't be friends but I will play horsey with ya!, I'll be the front part and you be yourself.

Rawn thankyou, that was funny.

But seriously... He bashes women on message boards, condones questionable practices, and tries to put down many long-time and respected members of the board. Marsh tries and tries, but everything he spews continually alienates.

Incidentally Marsh, Although, It's admirable you're open about your recent infatuation with the muscular body of men... I'm not certain this is the proper venue for coming out.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Barry Sloate

Marshall- Always a pleasure having an intelligent discussion with you.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Rawn Hill

Let's see, bias.........I still remember where I was when I heard Len Bias died, other than that , no I can't think of another.

Rawn
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I think what he's lookin for is Bye Ass or by the mood of his recent posts, Buy ass

Last edited by Ladder7; 08-23-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default Hilarious....

Really you guys are amusing. You make it sound as if the entire board hangs on your every word, truth is nobody really gives a shit what you three think. Ummmm....Rambo i'm not the banana hammock type but generally those who imply homosexual thoughts generally have their own thoughts about it so you can go and play in plastic sausage land.

I know it sucks Barry Goat when someone actually has something to say to you because you are used to just piling on with the others especially when it comes to folks like Dick who really are not going to fire back at you because of what will happen next.

Funny thing is you guys do alot of talking but i do not see any of you really buying or selling any cards. I mean Mr. Goat are you retired?

Let's see if you guys want to play hardball. Tommorrow night i will list a card in the auction section that will be a unusual card for that section for two reasons. 1. I think it would be cool to see Net54 actually make VCP in regards to a graded card closing at auction, if the card bombs it only looks bad on Net54 as a place to auction cards. 2. To see if any of you three have any balls to match what i do, let's see if you guys can put a 4 figure card on the block.

Yo Rambo you wanted me to bring it so consider it brought. Now hike up those speedos and put a great card on the block and let's see some fireworks on the auction board.

Last edited by Reginald Marsh; 08-23-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Please, not more of this.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Rawn Hill

Waiting for that BIG $$$$ card on the B/S/T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rawn
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
Waiting for that BIG $$$$ card on the B/S/T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rawn
It's the Claude Rains rookie card.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Rawn Hill

Damn I was thinking Sidd Finch.

Rawn
Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Banned

There was no response to the challenge so i figured they were out.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Richard Simon

I was hoping for Moonlight Graham.
--
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Im not gonna cheapen this board with furthur back and forth banter. I concede the last word to you.

Now, enough with the chest-thumping elitism., The membership is waiting to see if you can deliver and I'm emptying the coin jar, now list the flippin' thing already.

For all the bashing you've done to that great American war hero (fiction or non-), John Rambo. I think you'd agree, it would be a fitting gesture do donate a portion of your winnings to a veterans group. Their wounded buds and young families left behind by these slaughtered kids could certainly use it. But hey, that's your call.

As an added benefit, It may just get you some respect here.

I'm watching, now make the right move or else. Steve Rambo Falletti
Old 08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default Is that Yoda or Rambo....

Well i do not think the membership is waiting for the card nor will certain folks bid on it. I have not seen any of the guys in this thread bidding on much at all. Having said that i'll throw up a card at midnight tonight that in my opinion is the best pose of the particular player, it is also a very tough card to find but ohhhh.....that's right i don't have any cards or money. Good luck to all and i will donate 10% of the winning bid to the charity you pick Rambo in regards to the auction. It will be up to you to decide where the money will go but my vote is the families of small children of 911 that lost fathers to the tragedy. Consider the Noise brought.

Last edited by Reginald Marsh; 08-25-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

That 9/11 charity is perfect. If youre concerned with a lack of bids, tack on a modest reserve. There is a similarly styled auction going on currently.

Oh yea, can you bring the serenity now. Migraines
Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Rawn Hill

After midnight..................and yes I can afford it. As we suspected, all bite and no Barkman,

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 08-25-2009 at 10:14 PM.