NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Wagner on ebay?

Posted By: Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-t206-honus-wagner-baseball-card-366_W0QQitemZ220150500274QQihZ012QQcategoryZ86840Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

the COA...you got me convinced!!!

edited to say: is that a white border on the back?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dafe F

ridicilious...and this person was a major @#$@ when I emailed them...lol.
Definately one here for the higher powers to get rid of.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Look at the other 2 fakes this idiot is selling. This Wagner is not even close. A blatant fake.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Wow there fake and people are still bidding on them anyway... i can tell the wagner is fake and im only 12...seriously has anyone seen a white border on the back of a t206 i never seen one until now..... some people are idiots today......the mantle 52 is up to 10,000 dollars
geez
it has to be graded by the big 3
isnt that one of ebay rules?
man what a morning

Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's funny that despite its great rarity just how many people own one.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

If he got it from his grandfather and he just doesn't have the time or money to get it graded where did the COA come from?

Does anyone remember if any of the reprint sets had the white boarders- i agree that it not a real card but i just wondering what it is

Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

NO ONE IS BIDDING ON THEM EXCEPT THE SELLER.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

they should take it back to howards sports and get their money back...shouldnt the COA at least have the name of the item on it??? what a dumba*s

Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

who supposedly found one of these cards under a tire rim or something to that sort? I want to say it was a female named Jennifer? If that is correct, take a look at the seller's user ID. However, correct me if I'm wrong.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Bill: That was Jesika. Honest mistake. She wasn't exactly an English major, either.

http://tinyurl.com/2vvjud

Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I was on to something! Doh!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jared

Another example of why we should be pleased that fake card sellers are usually idiots. This just shows a lack of effort on the seller's part, haha.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

This is the SAME person who every couple of months comes on eBay with a different ID. Different because they get kicked off for trying to sell these FAKE cards.

Notice, the seller is from Alabama. Also notice in the 1952 Mantle description they say they inherited the card. Remind any one of the story last year from the person in Alabama who inherited cards from their Dad or Grand Dad who had won them in a poker game and then left them in a trust for the seller??

Same person, same story and same fake cards. At least this time they didn't use the, "got to sell cards to pay medical bills" story and they also didn't include their telephone number like they usually do.

If any one wants a history of this seller, search old threads on this site for either "Wagner" or "Mantle" and "Alabama".

David

Edited to add that I just read the descriptions for the Mantle cards and in both of them the seller DOES say they have to sell the cards because of medical bills. WOW, same cards and same medical bills.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

"some people are idiots today."

Sean, that is the understatement of the week. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

It must be real it came from GrandPa

Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

You're all ignoring the fact that she had "my collectors" look at it and proclaim it's authenticity. What more would you ask?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

What would happen if someone listed an auction on ebay titled "Grandpa's Attic". This auction would include a description of how Grandpa left his entire attic to his grandson in his will. The attic of course holds every rare and desireable sports card ever created. There would even be the world's only known Honus Wagner with Ty Cobb back!

Along with the cards, we might even find an original copy of the Declaration of Independance secretly placed on the back of an original Picasso painting.

Of course, nothing would be verified as authentic. Maybe a certificate of authenticity printed up by the seller. The certificate would state "Grandpa's Attic Find" as being legitimate and would be discovered under the floorboards of the attic as well.

The seller must not forget to add though that they cannot get anything actually appraised or graded as they need the money in four days due to a divorce/medical situation/must pay off bills situation.

How could anyone resist that?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

It is amazing how -***u, with ZERO feedback has bid on BOTH the Mantle cards. It is also amazing how s**s, with ZERO feedback has bid on the Wagner card. For those two hidden ID's, I think they should be assigned the letters S***L (SHILL).

David

Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

In that case don't get the auctions shut down. Let the seller (aka shill) pay the 2% Ebay fees.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Since the seller is guaranteeing authenticity, wouldn't the buyer be protected if indeed it is a reproduction?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Can anyone read the full name of the company that "authenticated" the card in the banner that the eagle is holding?

I asked for a full picture of the letter of authenticy. Seller said they are working on it now. I also asked for the contact information for that company that authenticated it and I got this.

"if you are the winning bidder you will get the certifecate with the card and all contact info to call the company your self."

Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Now I got this when asking for the contact information ahead of time as it would be a significant amount of money being spent.

"yes please email me your email address and i will send you the info or if you want your phone number and then we can talk. thanks"

All I wanted was the phone number of the place who authenticated it. I found them though, about to give a call.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

The funny thing is in my opinion the this Wagner looks 5x more real
than the famed 'Blue Eyed' Wagner of HBO special fame. Perhaps HBO should have a
special about this card, and the Daily News should write an article with
accusations that the reason the seller can't get $1 million for the card is
because the hobby is sexist.

And when a reporter says, "But card experts say your card doesn't look like
genuine examples," the owner will say, "That's what makes it so rare. Real
T206 Wagners that look real are common. Real T206 Wagners that look exactly
like reprints-- those are the rare ones."

From what I read, that was essentially the Blue Eyed Wagner's argument when
O'Keeffe pointed out that the text font on theirs was different then on genuine
Wagners. "That's what makes it special. A rare variation." Of course the
same reasoning could be applied to the Joe DiMaggio signed baseball where the
name is spelled Joel DiMaggioe.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

The seller is a guy or at least it was the last three times these cards were listed on eBay.

The Wagner is now up to $58,100. I hope one of two things is happening; 1) whoever is bidding up the card is an Attorney or knows a good one and is going to have the seller arrested for Fraud after the auction is over or 2) the high bidder is an Italian guy with a crooked nose. Not condoning violence but it would be fun to watch Vinny and Guido knocking on the sellers door and telling him their boss is none too happy about buying a fake card.

David

Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I just did a quick search of old threads and the scam artists from the past year were from Alexandria, Alabama and Anniston, Alabama. How close are those towns to where is this seller located?

I just did a map search on Google and Anniston, Alexandria AND Jacksonville are ALL within a short drive (20 miles?) of each other.
David

PS, One of the scam artists in those threads was was named George Hudson.

Edited to add the the GOOGLE map search results and to correct the spelling of Anniston.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard L.

The seller just ended the auction for the 53 Topps Mantle to sell for the current price. The winner has a feedback of 99, so does the current top bidder of the T206 Wagner, must be the same bidder, but now we know who, as the complete ID shows up for the 53 Mantle.

edited to add: checking the winners feedback, all the cards won were cards from the 1980s to present, including a 52 Topps Mantle reprint, who currently has the high bid on that card from this seller, what a coincidence.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

The f/b scan of the Wagner is too small and obscure to detect anything. But, the wide borders on the 53T Mantle expose it as a fake.

When you look at the bidding history on all 3 cards that this seller has listed, it's crazy.

This is the best example yet, that this "secretive" bidding history (that EBAY has forced upon us these past 6 months) is detrimental to
the BUYER. We should launch a concerted barage at EBAY to discontinue this practice and return to the bidding history which clearly
identifies all bidders by their "ebay handles"

Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Just for laughs, I wrote the following to the seller -

A few questions. What color is the print at the bottom? Can you provide better pictures? Also, what is the point of showing a COA that doesn't indicate what is certified as authentic?

Total reply received -

it is black in color

Comment: I guess the last two questions were a bit too complex.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

The T206 Wagner and the 1953 Mantle were "sold" to Vannessaphipps, who also has the high bid on the 52 Mantle.

In the past thrity days, "Vanessa" has sold some Jeep rims for $355 dollars. The most they have won anything for was a little over $200 dollars. So now, they have just spent $105, 000 on two cards and are high bidder on a $10,000 dollar card. HMMMMMMMMM.

David

Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't believe that someone would bid $100,000 of his money on a Wagner when the pictures were that tiny-- even if he was a total newbie.

I also don't believe that some who thought she had a real Wagner would use such tiny pictures.

In other words, I don't believe it.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

I'm in touch with Vanessa Phipps. Received the following two emails from her.

"How were you able to send me a message? I tried to find out who bid and email them and it wouldn’t let me. This girl used a different name about a month ago with the same listing on the 1952 Mickey Mantle and I bought it and I sent the money then never got the card. Ebay kicked her off as a user and I’m still trying to go about the process to get my money back. I called ebay yesterday because this girl is the same person. Her listing is identical. She’s just signed up with a new name. This girl is definitely a fraud. I bided 100,000 on all her cards so she doesn’t rip anyone else off. If I would have known how to email bidders I would have. I really appreciate you emailing me and it would be great if you could tell me how to do that. Thanks!"

"Sorry, I accidentally sent before I was done. The last month I have been gathering tons of info on this girl. I have her physical address, po box, and her hometown. The certificate of authenticity from Howard’s Sports Collectibles is also bogus. There isn’t a Howard’s Sports Collectibles in all of Alabama. I should have enough info and the fact that I mailed a cashier’s check to her to put her away for a little while. Mail fraud is a federal offence. Thank you and do you have items listed because I buy a lot of cards online."

I'm going to refer her to this board/thread. I figure if this is legit, some of you guys might be able to help her out with the best way to go about this.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

I know and I agree. This is a textbook example of eBay letting a scam artist get by. The same person lists the same cards at least three different times within a one year time period and the location is three different towns within a 20 mile radius of each other in Alabama.

I think Leon's friend at eBay should REALLY look at this seller.

David

Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY

Just curious has anyone considered calling the FBI & telling them someone is trying to commit a FELONY?

I don't know you guys but I'm really pissed at Ebay letting this krap keeps going on & on

Maybe a call to the FBI may get something positive done

If I call I will post the results here later

Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

That 100K bid was a smart move.

It blocks out all the other bidders, and the seller can't complain to ebay because she will get caught as the fraud she is. Maybe that's the best way to go with these scams, except for the negative feedback. Ebay should be able to block that out too.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vanessa Phipps

I am the one that bid $100,000 on all of her cards. A month ago I bought her 52 Mickey Mantle card and sent her $1100 via cashier's check and obviously didn't get the card. Since then I have been collecting information on this girl to catch her and I found these listings and knew it was her. It's identical to the listing she had a month ago under a different ebay name. Her physical address is 5606 Saks Rd, Anniston, AL 36206. Her old email is annsitondan@aol.com that's been closed out. Her new email is ghanniston@aol.com that is preivously the one she is using for ebay. Her PO box is 1436, Weaver, AL. She is listed and has a # of 256-403-1438 but it's disconnected of course but attached to 5606 saks road which I know is her address because that's where she picked up the cashier's check and cashed. I bid on all her cards so she doesn't rip someone else off. I am going to drag her along thinking I am going to pay until I catch her. If anyone has any info that could help, please let me know. Since I sent the cashier's check through the mail it should be a federal offense for mail fraud. I don't want to spook her before I can get more info on her. She's obviously not a very bright crook because this time she signed up for paypal which should have a lot of info on her. It is my crusade to put this girl behind bars. If anyone wants to contact me please do at vanessaphipps@cox.net

thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: frank

george hudson / 16 w 43rd st , anniston , alabama /256/847/ 1182

Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Vanessa,

Good for you!!!

While you are going after this/these crooks, sue eBay also. If not for money then for access to their databases and information. When I worked for a Fortune 500 financial company, EVERY telephone call was recorded and ALL transactions over the internet were saved. THis was to insure that if somebody came back and said I/we did something wrong that there was a record of it which could be used either in arbitration or lawsuits.

Since I KNOW this person/people have been trying this scam on eBay for at least a year, eBay should have ALL the records as far as their different seller ID's and what they have listed. This will give proof that this has been an ongoing thing and not just a one time incident. You can also probably get the E-Mails to the Trust and Safety Department from the different people who have complained about these crooks and the inquiries, if any, that eBay has done. I know I have E-Mailed eBay at LEAST three times about these people.

As you cn see above, I know they have used Anniston, Alexandria and Jacksonville, Alabama as addresses in past scam attempts.

Good luck,

David

Old 09-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

It's back...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-t206-honus-wagner-baseball-card-366_W0QQitemZ220150974368QQihZ012QQcategoryZ86840Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

I went back on to bid on the wagner and she has blocked me thru ebay? Is ebay that fn stupid? I won the card yesterday and she relisted today. What if I wanted to buy the card. Ebay should have better security than that. Can someone plese bid 1 million on this card so know one will get scammed on this card? Also I am trying to get a mesg. to the person who outbid me on the 52 mantle. The bid 100100 on the card. I cant get a mesg. to them b4 they pay for it.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Administrator

I just sent her the following message:

Up for auction is the same fake you tried to scam people with yesterday. You better watch yourself because everyone is on to you.

I'm sure it will be in one ear and out the other.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Sorry gang, this wagner is mine. Finally, I can X this one off the want-list!

>Dear stew_p_dazzo,

>if you bid i will sell it to you as the highest bidder.

>- jennifer8379256

Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Our new friend emailed me back. She wrote:

this is not a scam or a fake. i had to relist item because of people like you.

People like me? So it's not about the card, it's about the people who are interfering with her chance to strike it rich. I responded that the FBI have been alerted and that she better watch her back. Hasn't anyone told ebay that this piece of crap is back up?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Well, ebay has removed it! How long did it take them and after how many emails on it?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

That's good news Vanessa, and good luck in getting your money back. If you ever need any paperwork filled out by an experienced baseball card dealer, feel free to email me at bsloate@att.net and I would be happy to help.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

it went for 100k!
i thought it got removed

Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

That was the first listing that ended yesterday. We bid 100K so she wouldn't try to rip anyone else off. We aren't going to pay it obviously. He / she relisted it again and got removed this morning.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

people who's name was on the "Certificate of Authenticity" in these auctions yesterday. They apparently were off yesterday but called me back this afternoon. They looked at the auction and realized what was going on. They contacted someone at ebay and alerted them to what was up and the auction was taken down this morning. Funny thing is, they told me they don't even have/give out certificates of authenticity!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

If ebay did indeed pull it, why don't they block her account?? She has posted it again, now with a phony grading company:
http://cgi.ebay.com/a-1909-t206-honus-wagner-baseball-card-366_W0QQitemZ220151272798QQihZ012QQcategoryZ86837Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator

They don't give numeric grades to anything below a 5.
http://www.gmagrading.com/gradingscale.html