NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: steve

Q: To sell on ebay, or consign to big auction like REA ?

Does anyone have any first hand experience consigning to Robert Edwards Auction? If so, were you pleased with your proceeds less commission? I recall being quoted 5 percent selling commission for nice stuff, true? If so, REA may infact yield a better net than ebay. How often does REA auction? And how does REA stack up to other major auctions for getting the best price, ex. Memory Lane? If it helps, most of my holdings are T206's to 1940's graded with individual values from $500 to $5000.

Thanks, Steve

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Anything under 500.00 should go to Ebay. Anything over should go to the auction company you feel best with. Commissions range from 0 to 20%. The more you consign the more you save. If you were to break up your cards they might do better, but a lot more hassle. If put in a group the price might not fetch you as much... But it's fun to watch and guestimate!

JC

Old 04-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Mike

REA has done a wonderful job for me. Call and discuss the items you have. They will make suggestions and make the process easy.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: leon

Any of the auction companies on Net54's rotating banners are excellent to deal with. I highly recommend them. We only let the best advertise.....and some are not allowed anymore.... .....good luck with your stuff !!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: James Feagin

Auction houses are also helpful because there is a far less chance of fraud.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Mike H

They are fantastic to sell with. Mastro acts as though they are doing you a favor by taking your call (and this was for a $3,500 item). REA on the otherhand were professional and considerate.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: barrysloate

Robert's auctions are first rate but he does only have one a year. Ebay is 365 days a year. That could have some effect on your decision. What is your time frame?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Al S

Hi Steve,
I have sold items in REA in the past years and have some lots in his auction now. To answer some of your questions his fee is 10%usually to the seller. He runs his auction I believe once a year and usually looks for the best or bigger ticket items for it. My experience with Rob has always been positive and he is very easy to work with. Now ebay may be a better bet for the lower priced items or items that are more commonly found. The bigger auctions tend to want higher end items and items that generate good intrest. As for prices we all know that depends on who wants it at the time and a good starting price and is it an item that will generate good intrest! I have had good results also on ebay where prices have exceeded what I wanted for the item. If your items are quality then go to the auction house if they are more of the general items then try ebay. You may be surprised. REA auctions are done very profesionally and you will be treated with great care! As for prices I would say my items exceeded what I thougt I would get. Hope that helps. Regards Al;

Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Be careful with which auction company you go with. You want to deal with one who can best describe your items and who has the best buyers list for those kind of items. I would NOT say every banner ad will give you the same results. Most auction companies normally have an area of expertise. The BIG ones do a GREAT job all the way around. So be careful with the smaller auction companies that are not known for your kind of consignments. I'm sure the banners advertisers are good, just make sure you know what they are good at before consigning...

Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: leon

A lot of auction houses loathe some bidders too....

Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: steve

Thanks for your input. I am in no hurry to sell. But, I have noticed the ebay vintage card market plateau in prices. I do not see the leaps and bounds appreciation like couple years ago. I am thinking about expanding my business in the next year or two, wife would rather see me sell my cards over get a loan.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Al S

Tell her they are a great investment!! And try and take out the loan!! Good luck trying to blow that one by her!!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

"Mastro acts as though they are doing you a favor by taking your call (and this was for a $3,500 item). REA on the otherhand were professional and considerate."

My experience with Brian Marren (consignments for Mastro) has always been both extremely professional and very considerate, on both low-dollar and high-dollar items.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default REA vs. ebay

Posted By: Russ Bright

IMHO, I've been doing the same thing recently (debating taking out Loan or selling Cards) The rate of appreciation on most of these cards seem to be better than the interest rate of ANY loan I can get BUT... you'll always be a collector no matter what, it really depends on whether you want to have no cards but own everything outright OR have cards but be in debt....

I'm actually pretty cool right now with my debt because I have some really cool cards!