NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default Second chance offers

Posted By: Robert

i get so many second chance offers now through EBAY I don't even bother checking to see if they are real or not. I think that this is a function that should be eliminated from EBAY and it would solve a lot of problems. I wish that somebody would build a better community for collectors to be able to buy cards with out the scammers and people trying to sell reprints as real. With the money that they generate from our community you would think that they would put in better control systems and eliminate a lot of the scammers. There are not that many auctions posted everyday that they could have some people checking the auctions to make sure they are in the right category and real. Just my thoughts, I am a webmaster and seriously thinking about creating a community where it is better controlled for the serious collectors. If you have some ideas post them for me and maybe I will amke it happen.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TimJ

This is just a tool for the seller to post at a starting price with a reserve that will allow them after the fact to offer the highest bidder a "last chance" to get the item at a price lesser than the reserve,being that they are in need of $ for the sale.I'm all for your suggestion,I'm sure it would seperate the "men From the boys".

Old 04-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

I just got a second chance offer for that Wagner that was in the cigar box. I bid on it to try to keep an innocent person from winning.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TimJ

Good show! We have to look out for one another.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

"With the money that they generate from our community you would think that they would put in better control systems and eliminate a lot of the scammers."

Think about how much money they're generating from the scammer community.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The thieves must be getting desperate.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'd strong suggest we all make use of the National Sports Card site. It's not going to stop the scammers from showing up there, but at least it's a closely monitored venue and I am sure the owners will shut down any scammer that is pointed out to them. They have been more than responsive to my suggestions and the want list feature that notifies you of new listings that you are looking for a great thing. I'd suggest you all check it out. It's jsut in its infancy, but if we all start selling stuff there, it will slowly grow and could be a great alternative to eBay.

http://nationalsportscards.com/

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

actually bought an $5 item from long time and very reputable hobby dealer Barry Sanders on a 2nd Chance. A good rule of thumb might be to contact the actual seller and see if the offer is legit. You never know unless you try

Rich

Old 04-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

2nd chance works just fine. It would be great if ebay could "clean up" a bit so their customers don't have so many headaches, but use your common sense and you should continue to be safe.

Ebay is still the best "flea market" type auction out there - nothing else comes close and no one is even trying to compete with them in an auction format, other than Yahoo, which is a disaster.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I actually sent a 2nd chance offer and the guy didn't really believe it. I gave him my home phone number, we chatted for about 30 minutes, and I sold him an $1100 card......but most times 2nd chance offers suck.....later

Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

The best was a collection of 1910-20 baseball equipment. I suspect the seller shilled it up and won their own auction under another i.d. Still, if that happens you have to ask yourself how badly you want the item. I bit my lip and took the offer - ended up being a steal.