NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Default 19th Century Base Ball Painting

Well, it's been ten days since the close of this ebay auction so I suspect all of the dust has settled. I thought maybe one of our forum members may have picked it off and shown it off on here but nothing so far.

I say "Wow!". Amazing vintage artwork. I thought the player with the "C" may have been representative of the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings but, although still possible, I don't think so since the 69 team didn't have the bib front with the trim around it. Anyway, this large painting went for $18200+.

I haven't yet tried to identify the location by the grounds behind the players. Does anybody recognize the location?

Rob M.

Base Ball Painting.jpg

baseball pic.jpg
Old 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Based upon famous print.

This seems to be a folk art piece based upon a print from 1870, I think titled New York fashion 1870. It is Capitoline grounds. The original had more players and was much better done. It is supposed to be Cincinnati, among others. I will look up the print for more information, but wanted to let you know this much for your own search. I also believe this was auctioned off recently, going for about 6000 I think, and then put up again. I assume they are the same, but am not positive. I don't know for sure whether or not that painting itself is from the 19th century. It is, however supposed to depict 19th century players and uniforms. I don't know how to post images from somewhere else, but I am sure a search of 1870 New York fashion baseball images will come up with the famous print and someone can post it. Very interesting piece.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
This seems to be a folk art piece based upon a print from 1870, I think titled New York fashion 1870. It is Capitoline grounds. The original had more players and was much better done. It is supposed to be Cincinnati, among others. I will look up the print for more information, but wanted to let you know this much for your own search. I also believe this was auctioned off recently, going for about 6000 I think, and then put up again. I assume they are the same, but am not positive. I don't know for sure whether or not that painting itself is from the 19th century. It is, however supposed to depict 19th century players and uniforms. I don't know how to post images from somewhere else, but I am sure a search of 1870 New York fashion baseball images will come up with the famous print and someone can post it. Very interesting piece.
Thanks. I believe you are correct but I just couldn't find that old print nor remember where I had seen it before. I do remember there being a similar image with several players in different uniforms and a base ball grounds in the background.

If it went for $6k recently at auction, somebody made a good flip.

Rob M
Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Default Not so easy to find.

You are right, not as easy to find as I thought. I will keep looking, I found it when the first one came up, but can't seem to now.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:24 PM
GaryPassamonte

It is good policy to be wary of early paintings. About a year ago a major antique auction house had what was thought to be a vintage 19th century baseball painting. I saw it in person and planned on bidding. After some investigation, the painting was found to not be a 19th century work, but rather a more recent effort. Believe me, this painting was beautiful. I'm not saying the painting mentioned in this thread is not vintage, but some caution is wise.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
It is good policy to be wary of early paintings. About a year ago a major antique auction house had what was thought to be a vintage 19th century baseball painting. I saw it in person and planned on bidding. After some investigation, the painting was found to not be a 19th century work, but rather a more recent effort. Believe me, this painting was beautiful. I'm not saying the painting mentioned in this thread is not vintage, but some caution is wise.
I guess that figures. Seems there isn't ANY area of sports collecting now that's safe.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Default "New York fashions for March 1870"

Try New York fashions for March 1870, that is the title. It has 6 uniformed players, which to my eye, are much more professionally depicted. I remember one of these original prints going at auction quite awhile ago for about the price this painting went for. I will try to find that to be sure.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Default Robert Edward spring 2010 one went for over 15000

REA Spring 2010, the print was sold for over 15,000