NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default steiner jeter signed

Getting ready to purchase a derek jeter signed baseball but dont know if I should go with a steiner one or one with a jsa or psa cert. Does steiner have a contract deal with jeter that makes any with a steiner coa sell for more?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Mike Kaminski

You'd definitely get a bit more if you were trying to resell a Steiner Jeter over a JSA/PSA Jeter.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Just make sure you don't go to Steiner website or you may have to sell a kidney first! check out Ebay, or maybe post a WTB on BST...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Steve Zarelli

Probably not a good time to buy. Like during the Rivera farewell tour, prices will be jacked.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Matt

I have an in person signed side panel ball if you are interested. No cert but its real.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Jeff

With Steiner you are already buying at the top of the market IMO, add to it he recent retirement announcement - the planets are lining up for overspending IMO. OTOH you know it's real and you would be able to sell it, remains to be seen how you can recoup.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Wait until after he retires. Prices will come back to earth.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Forty more years unless something happens. Wait untill it comes back where it belongs.

Last edited by shelly; 02-13-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I got couple steiner balls last year. I would look for a psa or jsa cert ball, because stiener is way over priced.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Charlie

I remember speaking with one of Brandon Steiner's Sr. Mgr's a number of years ago and he said that Steiner Sports ( back then it was Last Lick's) signed Jeter to an exclusive contract that called for them to pay the Turn 2 Foundation a nice fee. Not sure if that was on an annual basis Most likely not) or over a set period of time but the $$$ was BIG and would explain why they need to charge what they do.
They must be moving the product because based on the fee I was told and the price they want for just a ball they would need to sell over 2k of them just to break even!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned

whats a typical price for a non-inflated jeter signed ball?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
You'd definitely get a bit more if you were trying to resell a Steiner Jeter over a JSA/PSA Jeter.
I disagree Mike,

90% of the new Steiner balls you see have disappearing blue ink. The autograph disapears right in front of your eyes. Old jeter balls wth bobby brown AL are 100 times better IMHO
Old 02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Charlie

Couldn't it just be the type of pen they use?

I have seen the Steiner "oops" sales and yes the ink did seem to disappear into the ball. If this was the case with any pen then all balls will have this problem.
I haven't had any problems with the good ole Bic Blue Stick pens but have seen problems with their Black ones and especially when the newer Gel pens are used.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Christopher Williams

Here is one of my four Derek Jeter Scoreboard rookie signed baseballs.

All four of mine are still bold, but yet the majority of these that I have seen on Ebay over the years have faded dramatically.

Are collectors displaying them where they shouldn't?

Jeter1996-Scoreboard-103.jpg
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Here is one of my four Derek Jeter Scoreboard rookie signed baseballs.

All four of mine are still bold, but yet the majority of these that I have seen on Ebay over the years have faded dramatically.

Are collectors displaying them where they shouldn't?

Attachment 133333
My guess is that it's more the ink and the leather than where it's displayed. I had two balls signed in 1972 and 1973, and had each displayed for many years in my bedroom. One had a nice panel where the signatures always looked fresh, and another panel where the signatures faded over time until they were completely non-existent. The other baseball was signed by two different teams, using two different pens. The signatures from one pen bled over time but eventually stopped and never faded. The signatures from the other pen are still fresh and beautiful - results were the same on both panels of the second ball.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
Couldn't it just be the type of pen they use?

I have seen the Steiner "oops" sales and yes the ink did seem to disappear into the ball. If this was the case with any pen then all balls will have this problem.

I haven't had any problems with the good ole Bic Blue Stick pens but have seen problems with their Black ones and especially when the newer Gel pens are used.

This is what happened to the ball Koufax signed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I think it has to do with a combination of the pen type and how the balls are signed. I have written Steiner about the vanishing ink and made some suggestions on pen type, but I never get a response. All of the Steiner balls that I have seen that have faded ink are signed at Steiner. The other balls they sell that are signed at shows or thru third parties with Steiner just putting their sticker on them usually look fine. I am not sure what pen Steiner uses, but they need to change.

Also, if you have ever seen photos of Jeter signing for Steiner you would understand. As most of you know, most signers will take a baseball and hold it in their hand while signing it, bracing it against their chest, lap, or table, and then placing it back in the box or off to the side. Jeter seems to sign the balls while they are still in the box. They just put a dozen of boxed balls in front of him, he hunches over them and knocks them out. As you can imagine, I am sure it is much harder to sign a ball in the box and push hard on it to make sure there is a nice dark autograph. If you are hunched over just moving from boxed ball to boxed ball, I bet he is pressing lightly on the ball with the pen. This combined with the bad pens they use must lead to the fading over time. Just my opinion, but it seems to hold.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Derek Jeter will be alive, well and signing baseballs for 40-50 more years. In that time he will sign hundreds of thousands of items (literally).

In his (probable) 80 year lifespan, you are choosing the 10 month period of the most inflated prices possible to purchase this baseball.

I would wait.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Derek Jeter will be alive, well and signing baseballs for 40-50 more years. In that time he will sign hundreds of thousands of items (literally).

In his (probable) 80 year lifespan, you are choosing the 10 month period of the most inflated prices possible to purchase this baseball.

I would wait.
+1000 Amen
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Agree, agree, agree.

I would rather drop $300 on an autographed ball like Kirby Puckett with HOF inscription, which I know is rare and limited instead of the Steiner Jeter/Mo machine.

Last edited by jimjim; 02-18-2014 at 09:28 AM.