NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

View Poll Results: If you had to make Kyler Murray's decision, what would you do?
Pursue a career in MLB. 24 68.57%
Declare for the NFL draft and return the baseball bonus money. 10 28.57%
Go back to college. 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Garth Guibord

Default Kyler Murray's decision: what would you do?

This is an interesting choice this young man is facing, whether to declare for the NFL and pursue a career there, stick with the MLB after being drafted by the A's, or even return to college.

With all the injuries in football and looking at living with the potential consequences after a career ends, I'd start an MLB career (knowing I could return to college and finish the degree later, if I wanted).
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Garth Guibord

Oops, meant to include a link to the Yahoo story...

https://sports.yahoo.com/making-case...232507836.html
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Nobody was really talking about him being a first round talent for the NFL until the past week or two. He's listed at 5'10 and you can assume that's generous. Not a lot of room for error at that height and I can't see a team taking him in the first round. If he doesn't get drafted in the first round there's no way he'll be guaranteed equal or more than the 4 mil he's already guaranteed to play baseball. If he decides to give the NFL a shot and flames out, he won't be drafted that high again in MLB either.

If I'm him, take the 4 mil, try baseball. If and when baseball doesn't work out, try the NFL at that point like Drew Henson did.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Nobody was really talking about him being a first round talent for the NFL until the past week or two. He's listed at 5'10 and you can assume that's generous. Not a lot of room for error at that height and I can't see a team taking him in the first round. If he doesn't get drafted in the first round there's no way he'll be guaranteed equal or more than the 4 mil he's already guaranteed to play baseball. If he decides to give the NFL a shot and flames out, he won't be drafted that high again in MLB either.

If I'm him, take the 4 mil, try baseball. If and when baseball doesn't work out, try the NFL at that point like Drew Henson did.
A's would retain his draft rights, like what happened with Russell Wilson, if Murray opts for the NFL.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Ah, I didn't think of that. If he jumps to the NFL though I believe the A's will not receive a compensation pick because he did sign with them. Getting nothing out of the 9th overall pick would really hurt.

Last edited by packs; 01-11-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Murray is already ~ 1000 at bats behind where he should be for a baseball player his age. If he can get a 1st round guarantee, he should declare for the NFL Draft. As pointed out in the story, a last pick of the 1st round got 12.5 million guaranteed for 4 years. The higher he goes, it goes up from there.

He isn't going to come close to that in baseball. If he doesn't make the majors (and how many years is it going to take him to rise through the minors?), he won't make that in his career. After he goes through the minors, he is going to get paid whatever the teams wants for 3 years, then he becomes eligible for arbitration. Then another 3 years before he can hit free agency and really come out ahead, ~ 10 years down the road.

He is already 21 1/2 years old, starting at the beginning of the minors. He missed a season and a half of college baseball. By the time he makes the majors, he is going to be an "old" rookie. I think it would be different if he had played his full 3 years of college baseball and was ready to start up the minor league chain and get to the majors quickly. It boils down to what he can get up front. If he can triple what the A's are offering him by just getting drafted, he should take the guaranteed NFL money.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM

That kind of ignores that he is considered to be such a talented baseball player that he was still picked 9th. I don't think you can discount that. He's guaranteed no less than 4.6 million to play baseball. The likelihood of him being a first round pick, despite the media hype, seems a little far fetched to me. Charlie Ward was considerably taller and he didn't get drafted at all while having the same two-sport concerns.

Last edited by packs; 01-11-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Why risk your brain any further? Baseball.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why risk your brain any further? Baseball.
agreed

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Shame on the A's for drafting him in the first place.

They had to have known there was a possibility Murray would test the NFL especially as a QB at a major university. Granted Murray wasn't a starting QB when the A's drafted him, but at 20 years old and a dual sport player he's not really devoting the attention needed to either sport to help him be successful.

That said, some in the baseball circle recognized Murray as a potential Heisman candidate based on his talent level. Thus far, Murray has likely gotten by on talent alone without having to commit maximum time to baseball or football.

Now Murray will have to change positions to play in the NFL as no-one is in the market for a 5'10 or '11 foot QB.

A jack of all traits, master of none.

The A's are usually very smart about their choices, but they really blew this one and may lose the pick all together as there is no compensation for Murray going to the NFL.

Personally, I don't see the kid doing anything in either sport successfully at a professional level.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 01-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...stick-baseball

It looks like Kyler will play baseball if he can get the A's to match what he can get from the NFL.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

What do you make of this rats?

It looks like Murray knows that football is not his best option. If I'm the A's I'm telling Murray that we've already written you a check last year that you accepted.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 PM

I think it makes perfect sense. Kyler can get ~ 15 million playing FB. Why shouldn't he get the same playing baseball? He signed a minor league contract last year based on his value last year. Now he is looking for a major league contract based on his play since. The unique situation is that play was in a different sport. If he had a huge year in baseball, no one would question him getting a new contract. I think Kyler wants to play baseball and the A's want him, so now they just need to agree on the dollars.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM

In the history of quarterbacks, when was a 5 foot 9 guy talked about so highly? Even Drew Brees was picked in the 2nd round. I feel this guy is getting some bad advice and letting himself be hyped up by the media. People are saying the Giants might take him 6th. There's no way.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Take the MLB money now and finish college later...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Dave

If I'm this kids dad, I lean him towards baseball for his general health and let his agent use whatever leverage he has to get the best deal he can get.