NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 AM
Todd Schultz

Default m101 Herpolsheimer's distribution

From the Grand Rapids Herald, June 21, 1916 (showing Joe Tinker):
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:53 AM
Scott S

Great ad! I’ve got about 35 of them - just wish a few more of the boys saved these to make them a bit more available now!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:16 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Nice research

That's cool, Todd! maybe the first tangible evidence that proves what we have always believed about the 20-at-a-time distribution of many M101 backs. Great work!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Todd is the best!
Old 06-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks guys.

Although there were other papers in Grand Rapids at the time that may show advertising for the cards, there was still only one store, so presumably one set a day for the last ten days of June was the deal. The date is puzzling, because Herpolsheimers is one of the three confirmed sets that starts with 20 low-number cards aligned with m101-5, and also because it has the rare Oscar Stanage portrait-to-waist pose that was later corrected. Thus I assumed that Herpolsheimers was among the earliest of the m101-4 sets, but a June 21 commencement date is the latest start known for m101-4 sets other than The Sporting News. This is another example of how the more I know, the less I understand. Incidentally, there were no further ads for the cards any of the ensuing nine days, plus I already had looked at many back to April and some into July. While the other papers may have carried different ads, those in the morning Herald were pretty extensive and appeared regularly, so there may not be a whole lot else out there advertising these cards. Maybe someone else will have better luck in searching.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Default For those who track such things

In other m101 happenings, I see where the PSA pop report has added a new Babe Ruth card over the past month-- an Indianapolis Brewing example graded PSA 4. Some may have known this, but it was news to me.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Todd Schultz

Default the same ad

shown here for scale. As you can see, this was just a portion of a full-page ad. Many of the department stores that issued m101 cards devoted very little space to advertising them. They packed a lot of sales items into their weekly or more frequent offerings, but gave short shrift to the baseball pictures. Makes for many a fruitless search, but gives a good idea of what consumerism was like a hundred years ago. At least Herpolsheimers gave this a somewhat prominent spot on the page--most ads are tucked in toward the bottom.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Very cool ad Todd. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
shown here for scale. As you can see, this was just a portion of a full-page ad. Many of the department stores that issued m101 cards devoted very little space to advertising them. They packed a lot of sales items into their weekly or more frequent offerings, but gave short shrift to the baseball pictures. Makes for many a fruitless search, but gives a good idea of what consumerism was like a hundred years ago. At least Herpolsheimers gave this a somewhat prominent spot on the page--most ads are tucked in toward the bottom.