NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Bob Beck

Default If PSA were to become a monopoly what would happen to the market regarding SGC cards?

Although I own both PSA and SGC cards, I have a much larger % of PSA. Hypothetically, if PSA were to become a true monopoly in the grading business, what would happen to the market of SGC cards? Obviously, no SGC guarantees would matter anymore and crossovers and breakouts are always a crapshoot. What type of toll would it take on the SGC graded inventory and price levels that exists today? Would it increase the % of raw collectors? The key to the question is not to give a biased answer because you despise PSA, but an objective answer of what might really happen and how, in your opinion, the majority of collectors would react (not just the pure collectors).

Last edited by bbeck; 02-06-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't think that this will ever happen to SGC, especially because they have many, many loyal customers. Even if they never become as big as PSA, I think they'll always be a competitor in the market.

However, if any TPG goes out of business, you can expect cards in that holder will decrease in value over time, especially as newer collectors forget/don't know how reputable that TPG was originally. For example, I think SCD used to be a decent TPG, and I've seen cards in its holders crossover fairly well. However, many collectors never heard of SCD as a TPG so may equate it to a "non-TPG" like PRO.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

If PSA becomes a monopoly, you can kiss this hobby goodbye! competition is always a good motivator! Can you imagine the screw-ups if there was only one legit grading company knowing you can't go elsewhere ?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Alan U

Any company could go out of business for a variety of reasons and the reason PSA becomes a monopoly would have a big impact on what happens to the value of the competitors slabbed cards.

For example, if PSA bought the other grading companies, there might not be much affect on the values of slabbed cards... or maybe there would be a premium for cards graded before the "merger".

There are many other scenarios, it's really impossible to predict without knowing the circumstances that cause PSA to become a monopoly.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Rick Mynatt

Not that this would ever happen, but if PSA did buy out SGC, I would hope they would use the SGC holders instead of what they use now.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Marc S.

Default Quite likely

as soon as SGC shuttered (for whatever reason), GAI would ride in to the rescue the following Monday.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Sc.ott Stif.fler

I think the most likely scenario is that people would crack and resubmit prior to selling.

We've seen a similar scenario play out over the not too distant past when SCDA (red labels) upped anchor and sold out to the bozo's with the blue SCDA labels (I don't even know if they are around). The original SCDA was pretty good, IMO...but their cards got beaten up in the market. You don't see them around much any more.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
as soon as SGC shuttered (for whatever reason), GAI would ride in to the rescue the following Monday.
Classic... Simply Classic...

You my friend have become a Laughing Heartfelt Pain in my Rib cage...

And this is why I Love this place sooo much! Oh the Joy oh it all...

Monday's will never be the same!