NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Anyone ever seen this Red Grange card before?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hmmm

It looks similar to an R94.....
Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is an Exhibit, with PC back; my question was more directed towards whether anyone has ever seen this particular Grange exhibit before. There were 2 known cards from the film; this could be the third.

Or not...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default kewl

Thanks...sorry for the misunderstanding. It's a neat card and would be much neater if it was a completely unknown one. I would guess we will have to do some digging to see if it has ever been found before? Did (was his name "Elwood Scharf (sp?)" ..I think I just butchered his name badly) ever classify/study anything other than baseball? I think I have some old checklists he did...Also, do you know if Burdick classified this series?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

First time I have seen it also, grats if you were the winner. Underbidder here.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Did (was his name "Elwood Scharf (sp?)" ..I think I just butchered his name badly) ever classify/study anything other than baseball? I think I have some old checklists he did...Also, do you know if Burdick classified this series?
So far as I know, Woody Scharf only did baseball. The ACC lumps all Exhibit movie scene cards into W404.

Or not...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Carl Lamendola

I believe it was part of the series along the other two. So, they must of made more than three exhibit cards. BTW, I was the underbidder and held back a little because of something a little rarer which I had my sites on and will post in the future. Congrats and good buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bid.JPG (73.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Scott, Carl, I'm glad you didn't run it up higher on me...but your underbids weren't even close. I'm a bit nuts when it comes to Exhibit cards...

My experience with the PC backed movie scenes cards is that they rarely produced multiple cards from a particular film. I would not be surprised to see only this one card from that series.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-24-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Carl Lamendola

I've seen at least three each of the other two scenes as you say never a postcard back. They proabably made more scences don't you think?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I've seen at least three each of the other two scenes as you say never a postcard back. They proabably made more scences don't you think?
I don't think there are additional yet undiscovered scene cards, at least not if they haven't shown up thus far. The cards with the typset writing were 1927-1929 issues, judging from the fonts and designs used on the baseball and boxing issues (they can be dated because of certain team designations from baseball and copyright and fight records on the boxing cards). Entertainment cards of that format are plentiful and the two Grange cards from that issue have been known for years. They are pretty difficult to find, which tells me that they were not issued for very long relative to a card like Oliver Hardy or Gary Cooper, which you can darn near find every week on fleabay. The fact that no other Grange cards have appeared tells me there are likely no more in the entertainment issue. The PC back set, as far as I can tell, is strictly a 1925-26 issue, which are the two scarcest years of Exhibit issues. Other cards from that issue that I've been tracking for years are very, very hard to find--I'd say rare. For example, I have never seen another Jack Dempsey one besides the one I own and have only seen 2 Benny Leonards. Since the Grange is from that issue and is the first one anyone's seen, my somewhat educated guess is that the card is going to be very tough to find again.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-24-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Glad you got it and yes I was the 2nd underbidder, had never seen one so had no idea what it would end up at.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Mike Blai$dell

Default Anyone ever seen this Red Grange card before?

Great pick up - of the 3 scenes this one is seldom scene. I actually own the black & white version as well as a green tint version. Both are postcard backs. I tend to agree that there are only 3 different scenes from the issue for Grange although they may be available in different color (tints). - Mike Blaisdell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926 Grange Exhibit.jpg (76.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thanks Mike; glad to see there is another known specimen--you always feel a bit uneasy when something shows up like this card did. Interesting that there is a gree tint version. That green tint is on par with the baseball issue's earliest print runs, which featured that tint as well. What would be interesting would be to see the card in some of the pastel tones that characterized later printings.

Or not...