NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default I always thought 1928 Harrington's were black & white cards....but here's a green one.

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Kind of neat, I've seen quite a few f-50s in my time - Tharps, Harrington's, Yeunglings...but they've always consisted of black and white photos. Here's a green one I came across recently. All of the type on the back was also done in a green font. Anyone know the reason for this anomaly or if other colored examples exist? Any other colors aside from green?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default I always thought 1928 Harrington's were black & white cards....but here's a green one.

Posted By: cmoking

That's interesting. Can you post a scan of the back please?

The last time I looked, the combined PSA and SGC pop reports on Earl Smith was really low for all 1928 Ice Cream cards. The pop reports may have changed (did you get that card graded recently?), but what I have in my Excel spreadhssets are:

Yuengling's: 0
Harrington's: 1
Tharp's: 0
Sweetman's: 2

Surprisingly two Sweetman's were graded, the most of the 4 when it is usually the toughest to find a Sweetman's back.

I wonder if there is any relationship between the super tough Earl Smith card and the green ink.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Here's a scan of the back. Very interesting that whatever color additions were made to this card, they were done seemingly intentionally on both sides. If anyone has knowledge or scans of any other colored f-50s, I'd love to see them. Thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Wow, great card Brian. If it were just the front that were greenish I would say perhaps it had been laid out in the sun and in someway faded to that color from the original black and white...but the back looks even more prnounced with green to me. Looks like a legit green version. Did you pick this up noticing this ahead of time or was this one of those surprises after the fact?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Earl must have been the short print card. He was the last card needed in the set of 60 to win free ice cream.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Darren - I don't think the population report tells us that - about 75% of the cards in the issue have a composite population of 3 or less.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peck

Bob Lemke mentioned a possible green W502 #48 Earl Smith in a post dated March 6, 2006.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Brian,

Have you illuminated it with black light??

Frank.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

How great an idea would it have been on all these vintage chase sets for the mfg to make the chase card in a different color from the rest--like green for money? Sort of a golden ticket thing.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Lucas

Of the many sets of 1928 Yuenglings, Harringtons, Tharps and Sweetman that I have owned over the years, this card was one of the more difficult ones to find. Never seen one in green, however. Nice card!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

haven't heard or seen your name in these forums for years. How you doin?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I owned this if it came from Huggins and Scott. I have 1 other. the green tints are very rare. Dan

Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments. I'll respond to a couple questions below.

I didn't realize that Smith was a "set toughie" in these issues. But there are examples of Smith that are black and white correct? Is it factually known that there are short printed cards in these sets? Are there other players or was it just Smith that was a little tougher than the others?

Someone mentioned a green Smith from the w502 set. That's really interesting...same player and everything.

I haven't examined the card with a black light unfortunately. The card was indeed part of the Huggins and Scott auction that a partner and I won together. There were a lot of neat cards in that lot. Some Successful Farming cards, several Maple Crispettes. All sorts of neat things. This card was sort of buried in that lot. I noticed it from the beginning but just figured that since I wasn't a huge expert on F-50s, that this was probably just a variation that turned up from time to time that I just simply wasn't aware of. Sort of like t206 color variations I suppose.

Dan, you mentioned having one other of these. Which player is it?

I was sort of hoping these would be common enough to try to build a set with. So I'd be going after a complete set of F-50s in only green variations. I guess no such luck eh?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

"I was sort of hoping these would be common enough to try to build a set with. So I'd be going after a complete set of F-50s in only green variations. I guess no such luck eh?"

I would have thought you were hoping for the opposite - that there are few of these and this was a unique one.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I hear you. But I'm usually not that lucky. So I set the "bar" a little lower this time around

Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator