NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Default Turkey Red Cobb on ebay

Posted By: FatBoy

Scott Gainer has a T3 on ebay I don't think I've ever seen before.

I looked at the ones I had at home this morning to cement my belief that there were no lower numbered cards (#s 1-76) that had the advertising back. I had 12 or so ad backs to look at and all were higher numbered cards (77-126), Cobb is #9 in the set.

Craig D? Mike P? Anyone? Am I wrong here? Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 07:05 AM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4126970692&category=31722&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

Hi Keith,

You've raised an interesting question. All the backs among the first 50 of my T-3s are checklist. There is not a single Ad back among them. I assumed that the Ad backs began with the second series, and among those I have 24. For example, I have long felt that Johnson only appeared with an Ad back, and the same may be true for a few others. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Here's another unconfirmed observation: I only have examples of the No Ad back among the first fifty, and none from among the second series. Anyone else?

I hope Craig D. is well because I haven't heard from him in several months.

Cheers, Mike

PS-Thank you, Bill, for the two eBay links. The wedding dress has begun to circle the world! I even convinced my wife to (finally) read a post on this Board. It's a tentative first step.....

Old 04-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Morning Mike,

I'm assuming you mean by "I only have examples of the No Ad back among the first fifty, and none from among the second series" you're talking about the omitted address at the bottom on the backs of the cards?

I do have 2 boxers that have this variation including #76 Johnson, but none in the second series. So....yes, I've always thought the same, no omitted address backs in the higher series cards (#77-126)...nor do I ever remember seeing one. Craig is better suited to answer this, but I think if I did ever see one, it would stand out to me.

My Johnson has the advertising back too BTW. As for certain cards having only one back style...never thought about that one too much, we'd have to compare notes . Again...Craig is the man for back related questions.

K

Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

Hi All,

All is well here. I'm a bit stumped on this Cobb T3, as it appears legit at first glance. There were NO first series cards (1-76) issued with the Turkey Red "Ad" back. I've never seen or heard of one (that doesn't actually prove much I suppose), but niether has Mr. Lipset or Mr. Knouse. Because the cards are thick and sometimes appear to be three separate pieces of paper (a thick carboard-like center with thinner paper attached to each side, I suppose a re-backing could have occurred. I have also seen a few examples of a somewhat obscure T3 reprint of sorts, that had those same nicely rounded corners.

I emailed Scott G - as I'm sure a few of you have as well. I'll let you know his response.

Regaring other T3 back issues, I have lots of thoughts. I won't bore you (unless you ask). For instance, my feeling is that the Rhoades card will only be found with a checklist back - thus it's relative scarcity. Anyone have one with an "Ad" back? Lew's book also describes the other "corrected" cards - McIntyre, Doolin, Paskert, Tenney, Willis? as having distinct backs (only 1 variation versus 2). My Walter Johnson has a checklist back, by the way.

Sorry I don't have a better answer on the Cobb. My opinion is that it has been tampered with. Only my opinion, but let's just say I am highly skeptical. Analyzing potential T3 back combinations is cetainly not a science, but compared to T206, it's somewhat elementary. And, while a new back/front combo pops up now and then in T206, I doubt the same will happen in T3.

That's my two cents. I'm always happy to talk Turkey Red! Happy Collecting!

Craig

[edited to fix a formatting problem]

Old 04-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I saw the post here so I pulled the card and examined it closely.

It is definitley not a reprint, I would have picked up on that before I listed the thing.

There does not appear to have been any type of alterations made to the card. There is no lifting of the paper, or what would appear to be manufactured wear and not just wear from age.

There is no smell of glue or a spray adhesive.

If somebody buys it and does not agree, I would be happy to give them a refund.

Scott

Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Elsass

The one T3 Cobb that I own has the checklist back. I have never seen an example of the one shown on Robert Edwards auction and would have to agree that at some time or another, this one has seen a new back. Although, I have heard stories of an ad back Cobb, but just never saw one. Mine can be seen at my web site www.4EliteCars.com under the Vintage Items and Baseball Cards link.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom L.

Dan,

Hi. Was your Cobb rebacked? A little difficult to tell with the picture, but it looks like the top left border is somewhat more damaged than the bottom left, but the back seems pretty even the whole way up the left side of the card. It also seems like the back is slightly larger than the front in some places. I only have a couple of T3s, so obviously am no expert, but some of those characteristics remind me of rebacked Old Judges.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom L.

Here's another Cobb that SportsCards Plus has for sale. It has similar features to those that I mentioned with regard to Dan's card.

http://store.mediashift.com/msi1/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&User_ID=105669&st=9895&st2=-82160835&st3=-57814581&Product_ID=5917&CATID=11

I'm probably wrong - sorry Dan.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Elsass

I have looked this card over and over and cannot see any indication of a re-backing. My scanned image is not that great either, I intend on uploading a new one within the next few days. Any advise on my T3 Cobb or the other one in question on this post is HIGHLY desired.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I went ahead and ended the auction. I will show it around for a 2nd opinion. I don't want to sell anything questionable.

If somebody rebacked this card, they did a really good job.

Scott