NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2023, 01:17 AM
Chuck Price

I can only vouch for the players that I saw. Just think of the great pitchers Mays & Aaron faced.

1- Willie Mays
2 - Hank Aaron
3 - Pujols

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 02-27-2023, 04:24 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
If you look at the list of top 20 players with the most WS rings, 19 of them won all or most of their rings with the Yankees. Only Eddie Collins made the list without the help of being on the Yankees.

No Cobb, Williams, Mays, Aaron, Mathewson, Young, Koufax, Foxx, W Johnson, Clemente, Trout, Bench, Schmidt, Morgan, Seaver, Ryan, etc.

Over half of the top 20 championship ring holders are not even in the HOF. Johnny Murphy who?

Looks to me like you just had to be on the Yankees sometime from the 1930s to the 1950s and collect your rings.

And as far as the OP's question, I'd list, in order:

1. Aaron
2. Mays
3. Foxx
4. Hornsby

Since 'The Greatest' is not a counting stat, it depends on how you weigh certain things like average vs power, peak vs. longevity, runs produced vs on-base percentage, etc. With so many great players, there is no single right answer.
Thanks for posting the link that you did. As pointed out in the article that goes along with the top 20 list, "Ralph Houk, who only played 91 games in eight seasons, yet is the proud owner of six World Series rings."
Old 02-27-2023, 06:38 AM
Frank Wakefield

I'd like to see a list that includes rings for coaching and managing... That list is for rings as a player.

Berra and Crosetti would move up the list, I think Frisch would get on the list.

WS rings, MVP awards, and the like, have nothing to do with being the greatest right handed hitter. But I'd still like to see such a list.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:13 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I'd like to see a list that includes rings for coaching and managing... That list is for rings as a player.

Berra and Crosetti would move up the list, I think Frisch would get on the list.

WS rings, MVP awards, and the like, have nothing to do with being the greatest right handed hitter. But I'd still like to see such a list.
"Nothing" is a bit of an over, er, understatement, but if you compare the list of top 10 players by WS rings vs. by career WAR, there's no question which one is the better indication of how good a player one was. Even just looking at who played the most total games does a slightly better job of sorting out the best players than rings does, as the latter is mainly just an indication of who had a nice career with the Yankees in the 20th century.

1. Yogi Berra
2. Joe DiMaggio
3. Bill Dickey
3. Phil Rizzuto
3. Frank Crosetti
3. Lou Gehrig
7. Hank Bauer
7. Mickey Mantle
7. Babe Ruth
7. Johnny Murphy
7. Tommy Henrich
7. Herb Pennock

1. Babe Ruth
2. Walter Johnson
3. Cy Young
4. Barry Bonds
5. Willie Mays
6. Ty Cobb
7. Hank Aaron
8. Roger Clemens
9. Tris Speaker
10. Honus Wagner

1. Pete Rose
2. Carl Yastrzemski
3. Hank Aaron
4. Rickey Henderson
5. Albert Pujols
6. Ty Cobb
7. Eddie Murray
7. Stan Musial
9. Willie Mays
10. Cal Ripken, Jr.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 02-27-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:26 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
If you mean just as a hitter, I will say Hornsby. If you mean as an overall player, I will say Mays.
Amen.....Hornsby could weld a bat, but "Say Hey" Willie Mays could bring it and then some. Willie was a site to see.

Make it a GREAT week !
Old 02-28-2023, 10:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

It's about hitting... period.

It's not who has the best WAR, MVPs, or anything else. It's not about most homeruns. The question was hitting.

Koufax has 4 World Series rings, and an MVP award... he must have been a great right handed hitter.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:09 PM
Todd Schultz

Frank,

I'm waiting for your Kirby Puckett nomination as greatest right-handed hitter, given your strenuous support of his HOF enshrinement
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

muhammad Ali was a right handed hitter boy could he hit..best all time
Old 03-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

Todd, Jake, thank you both, you've given me smiles to start my day.

I guess I should suggest Mike Schmidt as the greatest right handed hitter... but then I'd have to post about how misguided that would be. He was a mediocre hitter. He could crunch home runs, excellent fielder, great arm on those long throws from third base. He had a lot of walks, some attributable to a good eye and plate discipline, some intentional walks, and some because the defense just wanted to pitch around him given the situation.

I saw Mays and Aaron in the mid 60s. Aaron could move the bat through the strike zone with what seemed minimal effort; a quick, smooth swing. As a kid then, I didn't appreciate what was involved in moving the hands closer to the plate, or further away, because the pitch was out or in... Aaron was a smooth fielder, he would run, field, and throw in a way that didn't draw attention to what he was doing. Mays was different. He'd catch balls on the move. If the ball was hit 20' to his right, he'd break late and be moving as he got to where the ball was; if the ball was 70' to his left he'd break on the ball and be moving as he caught that ball. And he'd do that basket catch that little league coaches hated. If he was throwing a ball back in with no one on, it most likely was thrown underhanded. Running the bases he'd lose his hat; rounding third his arms would be churning on those broad shoulders and he looked like a freight train heading toward the plate. Catchers in their gear were hardly a match for Willie with a head of steam heading for the plate.

I remain unconvinced that there's been a better right handed hitter since Rogers Hornsby. Aaron and Mays were great right handed sluggers, and hitters. Wagner was pretty good, he wasn't just a face on a ball card. In a few years when we see the final totals on Trout, I think they'll be a slightly short of Pujols' numbers.

So I think that Mr. Reality 68 back up there in post #11 has the top five listed:

Hornsby
Aaron
Mays
Wagner
Pujols

It'd take a bunch of listing before we reached whatever number Kirby P would be.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Scott Stockton

Default Puckett vs Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Frank,

I'm waiting for your Kirby Puckett nomination as greatest right-handed hitter, given your strenuous support of his HOF enshrinement
If you compare Trout to Puckett, how close are the stats?

Trout leads in HR and BB, which lend to higher OBS percentage. Puckett played 150 games 8 times, Trout 4. Trout has great stats for generating WAR. Puckett would take a swing versus a walk. Personally, I would rather have a guy up there swinging with runners in scoring position. Look how low Tony Gwynn's WAR is for being such a great hitter. Low walk totals each year. It just appears to me that BB, which are better than outs most of the time, are overrated.

Back on point, my number 1 Right-Handed Hitter would be Josh Gibson.

Last edited by Stuke1976; 03-01-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Frank Wakefield

Best right handed HITTER from all time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsby 33 Goudey.jpg (141.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby E120.jpg (153.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby Kashin.jpg (129.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby W511.jpg (81.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby W514.jpg (166.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsby W572.jpg (161.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

Rajah!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsby W515 (1).jpg (181.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Unquestionably, the best answer to this quiz is......Ed Delahanty.

If he had not passed away so tragically, Ed would have topped Ty Cobb's career Batting Average.

Ed's batting performance actually improved, as he got older. Not too many ballplayers can boast
of doing that. The last 10 years of his career, he batted an unbelievable .374

From all I have read regarding Ed, I'm convinced he was the "Greatest" Right-Handed Hitter".

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-02-2023, 11:00 PM
Frank Wakefield

Delahanty... among the best of the right handed hitters. I mentioned him in post #18.

I found Sowell's book July 2, 1903: The Mysterious Death of Hall-Of-Famer Big Ed Delahanty to be a most enlightening book. He covers Big Ed, the infancy of the 2 league system that we have today, the leagues' inclination to honor one another's contracts, and what baseball was like at the beginning of the 20th century. I recommend this book!

Now back to the best of the best of right handed hitters... I found another card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsby DS.jpg (35.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 07:12 AM
Michael

I think Delahanty is right up there. I got curious and I was wondering what he would have had to do to top Cobb's lifetime average if he had not died.

He ended his career with a .346 average at age 35 with 2597 hits in 7510 ABs. If he hit .400 for the next six years going 240 for 600 (more hits and at bats than he ever had in a season) he would have 4037 hits and 11110 ABs for an average of .363 and would still be below Cobb. Even playing to age 42 and averaging .400 for seven seasons only gets him to .365. (For the purposes of this, I am pretending he did not die in 1903 but merely was disabled for the remainder of the season...but a full season of .333 in 1903 would not have helped him, which was his average that year.)

Considering that his averages his last four seasons were .323, .354. .376, and .333 I have to respectfully disagree that he would have surpassed Cobb's lifetime average if he had not died.

Don't blame me! Blame Excel for doing the calculations!
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:18 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Haven't posted this one in a while. Seems like a good opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 Leader Novelty Hornsby.jpg (198.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 07:33 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
I think Delahanty is right up there. I got curious and I was wondering what he would have had to do to top Cobb's lifetime average if he had not died.

He ended his career with a .346 average at age 35 with 2597 hits in 7510 ABs. If he hit .400 for the next six years going 240 for 600 (more hits and at bats than he ever had in a season) he would have 4037 hits and 11110 ABs for an average of .363 and would still be below Cobb. Even playing to age 42 and averaging .400 for seven seasons only gets him to .365. (For the purposes of this, I am pretending he did not die in 1903 but merely was disabled for the remainder of the season...but a full season of .333 in 1903 would not have helped him, which was his average that year.)

Considering that his averages his last four seasons were .323, .354. .376, and .333 I have to respectfully disagree that he would have surpassed Cobb's lifetime average if he had not died.

Don't blame me! Blame Excel for doing the calculations!
Nice research! Those are fair points--there is virtually no chance he could have equaled Cobb's career BA record. Delahanty was a great player, probably the best right handed hitter of his era. But it may be a stretch to call him the best right handed hitter ever.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:37 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

Unquestionably, the best answer to this quiz is......Ed Delahanty.

If he had not passed away so tragically, Ed would have topped Ty Cobb's career Batting Average.

Ed's batting performance actually improved, as he got older. Not too many ballplayers can boast

of doing that. The last 10 years of his career, he batted an unbelievable .374

From all I have read regarding Ed, I'm convinced he was the "Greatest" Right-Handed Hitter".

TED Z

T206 Reference

It looks like Ed's bat is smoking.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2023, 08:20 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Ed Delahanty

Quote:
-----------------------------------
Michael

Why are you taking ONLY his last 4 seasons ?

I based my statistical projection on his last 10 seasons in which he batted an amazing .374

Your "4-year analysis" doesn't do-it.....you ignored 6 seasons of his significant batting performance.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Michael

Honestly, I probably should not have mentioned those four seasons because that had nothing to do with my analysis.

Whatever he hit in any span of his previous seasons, to catch Cobb he would need to hit .400 for seven straight full seasons going 240 for 600 each year (and even then he would be one point short). I was just saying that I do not think he would have caught Cobb given that it is very hard to raise your career average 20 points when you already have 7510 ABs.

Since the next time a player hit .400 was in 1911, it is just my opinion that Delahanty would not have hit .400 for seven straight seasons from 1904-1910 starting at age 36.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:57 AM
Michael

Here is another way to look at it. Say Delahanty played 10 more seasons and hit .375 each year (225/600). He would end his career with 4847 hits in 13510 ABs and a .359 lifetime average. So even if he had another ten years hitting what he did in his last ten years, he would not have caught Cobb.

I am not saying he is not in the conversation for greatest right-handed hitter. I am just saying that I don't think he would have caught Cobb if he didn't die when he did.

Edited to add: I am sticking with Hornsby who hit .382 for the ten years 1920-1929.

Last edited by molenick; 03-03-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:24 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Delahanty... among the best of the right handed hitters. I mentioned him in post #18.

I found Sowell's book July 2, 1903: The Mysterious Death of Hall-Of-Famer Big Ed Delahanty to be a most enlightening book. He covers Big Ed, the infancy of the 2 league system that we have today, the leagues' inclination to honor one another's contracts, and what baseball was like at the beginning of the 20th century. I recommend this book!

Now back to the best of the best of right handed hitters... I found another card.
I've always thought the placement of his name on this AND his 33 Goudey were rather unfortunate. They both bother me.