NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default Getting the Record Straight Shoeless Joe Jackson Military service Reply to Thread

I posted this magnificent 1909 world championship pirates photo back in july around the same time i posted the shoeless joe jackson military panoramic photo. I asked net54 members back in july to help me identify both photos. No one at that time paid any attention to the posts. One member comment yesterday said that "every photo i post i see someone famous" i ask that member where was he back in july? If i had the many comments on the joe jackson panoramic photo i wouldn't have consigned to huggins & scott. But again, no comment back then. Well here is another photo i posted back in july that will be auctioned by huggins & scott. Does everyone see the great honus wagner? Let me know what you experts think. I can still pull it even though this exact photo sold at auction in 2007 for $3,000. Thank you as always for any help you can provide. Regards, michael calvello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1858.jpg (77.6 KB, 471 views)
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

nevermind

Last edited by Runscott; 09-17-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Chris Wood

Sigh....
Old 09-18-2014, 05:28 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I have to say, the Jackson mis-identification is far less egregious than that Fleetwood Walker travesty. "He's black and he's on an early baseball team," seems to be the only link between that guy and Walker. To even get that as far as an auction preview is pretty embarrassing.

Ken
Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I have to say, the Jackson mis-identification is far less egregious than that Fleetwood Walker travesty. "He's black and he's on an early baseball team," seems to be the only link between that guy and Walker. To even get that as far as an auction preview is pretty embarrassing.

Ken
I think the Amos Rusie photo is just as bad. Someone wrote Rusie's name on the back of the photo and H&S mentioned that he was tall just like the guy in the front of the coach - it's gotta be him.

Chris Bland

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I can't speak for anyone else, but I gently questioned Joe Jackson and his military career when you posted this photo earlier. This is what I wrote:

"I'm not a Shoeless Joe expert by any stretch, but didn't he avoid serving in the war by leaving the White Sox a few weeks into the 1918 season and getting employed at Bethlehem Steel shipyards in Wilmington, Delaware? I recall reading that Comiskey had some very choice words to say about what he felt was Jackson avoiding the draft by playing ball for Bethlehem Steel under the ruse of a war-production job. The Chicago sportswriters really let Jackson have it as well.

Did he join the Army at the tail end of the war? I'm curious what the story is behind the picture. "

You didn't add any answers to the thread and then started another with the same picture. I didn't pursue it further or voice any of my doubts about this picture (let alone say that I don't think it looks anything like Joe Jackson) because most of the threads you start are about these phantom famous players and don't seem to have anything to back them up with. Plus you never seem to take anyone's advice or expertise so I thought that any further reply to your old Joe Jackson military photo thread would be a waste of time. I can only assume others thought the same.

Now that you got the you somehow got the Jackson photo to appear in a legit auction house where misinformed buyers could be tricked - that's why the Net54 community has come down on your picture like a bag of hammers.

Before you were a harmless wishful thinker, now people could lose money if these pictures aren't thoroughly vetted. I hope your pictures do turn out to have the people you say are in them. That would be a great find. But don't post them on Net54 with the expectation of selling them at auction and expect the collectors here to just ok them. This forum has the highest concentration of baseball history and memorabilia minds on the web. Most here are extremely helpful and kind but also diligently protect their hobby.

If any of your pictures do turn out to really feature Fleet Walker or Joe Jackson, the fella's on Net54 would be the first to not only confirm the legitimacy of the photo but supply you with all the background information you need to sell the picture at auction, all for the sheer joy of helping a fellow collector. A Net54 member would probably wind up buying the piece as well.

I replied to your original tread. Others did as well, voicing their doubt. You just chose not to acknowledge us.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:30 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 View Post
I posted this magnificent 1909 world championship pirates photo back in july around the same time i posted the shoeless joe jackson military panoramic photo. I asked net54 members back in july to help me identify both photos. No one at that time paid any attention to the posts. One member comment yesterday said that "every photo i post i see someone famous" i ask that member where was he back in july? If i had the many comments on the joe jackson panoramic photo i wouldn't have consigned to huggins & scott. But again, no comment back then. Well here is another photo i posted back in july that will be auctioned by huggins & scott. Does everyone see the great honus wagner? Let me know what you experts think. I can still pull it even though this exact photo sold at auction in 2007 for $3,000. Thank you as always for any help you can provide. Regards, michael calvello
I wasn't even a member in July but you seem to be suggesting that it is the duty of forum members to do free research for you and that it is their fault for not informing you in July that your photo was bogus. There's a big difference between someone saying hey have a look at this than the scrutiny an item receives when it ends up in a major auction house with a hefty price tag. Marlowe and others who are experts in their field don't have time to inspect every marginal piece that shows up on the board and we are all lucky they take the time they do to educate us all on such subjects. The Pittsburgh Pirates piece is great, I hope you do well with it.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM

My recollection is that you(evajoy) were posting items that you identified and asked about values, not that you asked what the items actually were. In many instances there were substantial issues and questions about your identification, which resulted in defenses of the items by you, which were also questioned. I also recall members asking you to continue posting, as the items were interesting even if they were not what you assumed they were. The "1889 boston team" photo with Walker was clearly questioned, both as to team and Walker.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Brock

It now looks like this guys 1909 pirates poster was stolen from the hall of fame twice.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Another blame the messenger -rags to riches, back to rags story... Thanks for stopping by!

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
It now looks like this guys 1909 pirates poster was stolen from the hall of fame twice.
This was one of the most interesting threads that I have read on any message board. I realize that I am johnny-come-lately on this thread but having read this one and the two others, I found myself astonished. From the moment I saw the first thread with the OP's sharing of the framed yardlong, I wondered which soldier was being referenced as Jackson. I tried to give benefit of doubt though my first instincts were to re-examine each face in that top row trying to see which one could be mistaken for the man. Not one person stood out to me.

When someone buys the story rather than the artifact, they want so desperately to believe it to be true despite every indication that the story is BS. To deny biographers who have researched this man ad nauseum and never having found a shred of evidence of service and then to ignore this fact while trying to sell the piece (hoping for a large payday) is a massive credibility hole.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

I am just a lowly researcher and military historian with a focus on baseball militaria.

ChevronsandDiamonds.org