NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-15-2015, 04:31 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Default BBC Pin

BBC, generic Base Ball Club pin or Baltimore Baseball Club?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371490249763...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Generic pin you ordered from a catalog back in the day has nothing to do with Baltimore
Old 12-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Don't let Dan (hey Dan) see this thread...........
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Same goes for this pin:

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...Lapel-Stickpin
Old 12-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Generic pin you ordered from a catalog back in the day has nothing to do with Baltimore
The book presented in the Lelands auction seems to indicate otherwise. I think Dan's listing is correct.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Or is it just a generic BBC(Base Ball Club) pin that is pictured and is assumed to stand for Baltimore Baseball Club. Lelands quotes it as an "Old-time brass lapel pin" from the book. I have owned and seen many items from the 1800's with BBC, are these all assumed to be Baltimore Baseball Club or just Base Ball Club?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincicards View Post
Or is it just a generic BBC(Base Ball Club) pin that is pictured and is assumed to stand for Baltimore Baseball Club. Lelands quotes it as an "Old-time brass lapel pin" from the book. I have owned and seen many items from the 1800's with BBC, are these all assumed to be Baltimore Baseball Club or just Base Ball Club?
Randall,

I think it's impossible to categorize all pins with "BBC" on them as belonging or not belonging to a particular team. In this case, however, we have a book devoted to the "Baltimore Baseball Club" with two pages of items and pictures that directly relate to the team. Is your position that everything in the book is germane to Baltimore baseball except the pin that is pictured?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Does the pin have any direct link to Baltimore or is it just an assumption. What about the pin in Lelands auction are they just assuming, what about this pin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121707637960...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seems to be raining rare Baltimore pins.

Last edited by cincicards; 12-19-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Does the pin have any direct link to Baltimore or is it just an assumption. What about the pin in Lalands auction are they just assuming, what about this pin:

Randall,

My response was to the first pin that Dan had listed, which matches the image of the pin in the Baltimore Baseball book. Both the Lelands' pin and the second pin you have referenced are somewhat different, although that is not to say that they are generic pins, rather, it is just that the same evidentiary proof has not been provided as it has in the former case.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Al

Quote:
Does the pin have any direct link to Baltimore or is it just an assumption. What about the pin in Lalands auction are they just assuming, what about this pin:

I believe Randall is right in alot of respects. The so called "experts" may or may not be able to prove that pin is a "baltimore" pin. Could be from a number of other baseball clubs. The last example looks to be very cheaply made.. I tend to stay away from these types of pins as they must be proven to me (Photos, etc) to be what they say they are.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Without any direct link to Baltimore the pin is just a genetic BBC pin, the book is quoted as "Old-time brass lapel pin". Once again, just because this particular pin is pictured in the book does not mean its related to Baltimore.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:37 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

I have owned three or four of these so called "rare"pins over the years, in fact I just sold one to Dan.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Randall,

My response was to the first pin that Dan had listed, which matches the image of the pin in the Baltimore Baseball book. Both the Lelands' pin and the second pin you have referenced are somewhat different, although that is not to say that they are generic pins, rather, it is just that the same evidentiary proof has not been provided as it has in the former case.
Mike,
You are also assuming that the person who wrote the book and put the photo of a BBC pin in it was correct in that it was a baltimore pin. For arguement sake why cant it be Brooklyn,or for that matter Buffalo? or Boisie Idaho baseball club? Believe me as I have proven many other times just because you write a book and put photos in it doesnt mean you are right 100% of the time. ( Paul Muchinsky)Baseball pinback buttons book comes to mind as I proved to Paul many times that what was pictured wasnt what was represented by the pin...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Without any direct link to Baltimore the pin is just a genetic BBC pin, the book is quoted as "Old-time brass lapel pin". Once again, just because this particular pin is pictured in the book does not mean its related to Baltimore.
I would say it is more likely than not unless you can show an image of the same pin in a Boston baseball book or Detroit baseball book or New York baseball book, etc.

Let's try to keep our opinions centered on real evidence here instead of raw emotion. If you're going to try to indict someone's eBay listing as erroneous, please offer some evidence. Dan is quite knowledgeable and there's a picture of his pin along with many other items from the Baltimore Baseball Club in a book about Baltimore Baseball. That to me is more compelling than your unqualified, emotional appeal.

If you have some real evidence to the contrary, show it.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 PM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Seems like it would be BBBC (Baltimore Base Ball Club) instead of just BBC, as an example RBBC (Rochester Base Ball Club), as baseball was used as base ball:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by cincicards; 12-19-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Seems like it would be BBBC (Baltimore Base Ball Club) instead of just BBC, as an example RBBC (Rochester Base Ball Club), as baseball was used as base ball:

Attachment 215317
+1
Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:

Attachment 215317
Randall,

This is a good point and I noticed the same thing when reviewing other Baltimore pins from the late 19th century. Are there any verifiable examples to the contrary?