NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Dave

Default Gotta love December Ebay Bidders....and the smell of napalm in the morning...

Arrghhh! I knew this would be a problem auction. Guy had the high bid as it ended for about 18 hours. Literally seconds after the auction ended I receive this message from him.

Quote:
I see I am high bidder on this item...I placed a maximum bid but somehow the computer did not register a period. I buy a lot of papers and I did not want to bid $1191 on this item. I do not know what to do, ebay said to contact you

The guy put his bid in on December 4th, yet doesn't realize what his bid was until split seconds after the auction ends? The guy had his question to me queued up immediately as the auction ended. I smell a bit of sabotage, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't like the guy who was bidding against him, maybe he was working with the 2nd high bidder to back the bid up to the next lowest bidder under them, maybe he doesn't like ME......I don't know, maybe I'm being paranoid.

Anyways, this is the item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Basebal...category=73430

Went way higher then I expected, which is why I expected it to be a big f'ing headache.

In about 18 years on Ebay, this is perhaps my tersest response I've ever given to somebody else. My reply in return:

Quote:
Why did you wait until right after the auction was over to tell me this? You were the high bidder at that price all day. You've essentially just sabotaged my auction. You could have corrected this as soon as you put your bid in on December 4th. I can't even offer it to the 2nd high bidder, because he will think you were a shill for my auction.

You will have to request a cancellation through Ebay.

Can't do anything about it, just venting really. Never had something like this happen to me in all the time I've been on Ebay, even though I've heard of it happening to others all the time.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Ben North

I hear you. I had a guy win 5 auctions on Nov 29th and still has not paid or returned a PM. At least his eBay ID fits mindlessbrain.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

He said he did not mean to bid $1191? And that the period did not register?

Where was the period supposed to be? He had already been the first bidder at $19.99 then he went back in to put in a higher bid before any other bid was registered.

He could not bid $11.91, so the only other place the period could go was at the end of the $1191. thus his high bid of $1191.00 and because of that he won the auction at an increase over the next high bidder.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Dave

Message back from him.

Quote:
i did not see it and was at the beach all day? i buy a lot of papers, i have 3 of these. i was going to bid aggresive but this is above retail.
Let the underbidder know, if they do not take it we will work something out, it was my mistake

I don't even know what this means............"but this is above retail"?

Looks to me like he put in an aggressive bid to make sure he won it, and then had second thoughts when somebody else upped the ante on him.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:56 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Message back from him.

Looks to me like he put in an aggressive bid to make sure he won it, and then had second thoughts when somebody else upped the ante on him.
sometimes direct deals off ebay are better for just this reason..you may think you may get a few bucks more but don't have to deal with no paying bidders after a week auction..
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Howard Chasser

Default See it through

My opinion - Tell the under bidder the high bidder reneged and offer for slightly lower than his highest bid. If he doesn't want it - see what original bidder means - about "working something out". If all else fails, relist it.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Dan Bretta

On December 1st I opened around 20 Non Paying Bidder cases and only one of them paid for their item. I closed the rest yesterday and had to relist all of those items. That is by far a record amount on NPB for me over a two week period.

Right now I'm dealing with a fellow who opened a case against me for non-delivery of item even though the tracking shows it was delivered. I told him to ask his mailman about it and he claims he called him (yeah right, on Sunday too). He has only 6 feedbacks (new ebay member as of Nov) and his last positive is from a seller who evidently refunded this dude for a lost item. The guy is begging me to give him his $10 back because that's a lot of money to him. Obviously this guy has learned that ebay always sides with the buyer.

Two weeks ago I had to relist an item that sold for $125 because the high bidder who had been high bidder for days cancelled his bid claiming "entered wrong amount". The eventual winner who was at one time the underbidder said he wasn't going to pay for it because once he was outbid he went and used a Buy It Now with another seller for the same item.

I recently had two of my items in my ebay store BINed but never paid for. Who uses the BIN and doesn't pay? WTF is wrong with people?

Sorry for the rants, but this thread seemed like a good place to do it.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
On December 1st I opened around 20 Non Paying Bidder cases and only one of them paid for their item. I closed the rest yesterday and had to relist all of those items. That is by far a record amount on NPB for me over a two week period.

Right now I'm dealing with a fellow who opened a case against me for non-delivery of item even though the tracking shows it was delivered. I told him to ask his mailman about it and he claims he called him (yeah right, on Sunday too). He has only 6 feedbacks (new ebay member as of Nov) and his last positive is from a seller who evidently refunded this dude for a lost item. The guy is begging me to give him his $10 back because that's a lot of money to him. Obviously this guy has learned that ebay always sides with the buyer.

Two weeks ago I had to relist an item that sold for $125 because the high bidder who had been high bidder for days cancelled his bid claiming "entered wrong amount". The eventual winner who was at one time the underbidder said he wasn't going to pay for it because once he was outbid he went and used a Buy It Now with another seller for the same item.

I recently had two of my items in my ebay store BINed but never paid for. Who uses the BIN and doesn't pay? WTF is wrong with people?

Funny that you actually listen to excuses of buyers when they choose not to buy something...that's almost like listening to sellers about why they need to sell a card to pay for medical expenses or whatever..

I have never had a problem when consigning to PWCC for example (im sure other consignors work the same as well) of a sale not going through.....solves all of the headaches.....
Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Funny that you actually listen to excuses of buyers when they choose not to buy something...that's almost like listening to sellers about why they need to sell a card to pay for medical expenses or whatever..

I have never had a problem when consigning to PWCC for example (im sure other consignors work the same as well) of a sale not going through.....solves all of the headaches.....
The problem with that is some of us are not selling high end items so consigning is really not an option.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

I don't think anybody is listening to excuses, it's more like they are volunteered by the deadbeat buyers. It's not like you have any leverage over them. They still have their money, and you still have your stuff.....waiting for their money.

Somebody SELLING their stuff for whatever reason, might be playing the sympathy card, but they certainly aren't doing anything unethical or sabotaging other peoples auctions and sales.

I'm sure PWCC has no lower of a non-paying bidder rate then myself or probably even Dan. Plus I deal mostly in memorabilia and very rarely cards. They don't want my stuff..........and likewise, I wouldn't trust them to write an accurate description of anything I was offering for sale anyways......so I don't think the answer is packing up my bags and letting somebody else sell my stuff for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Dave

Quote:

That's awful Dan, I don't think I've had that many NPB's in 18 years combined on Ebay. Seems like it's getting worse and worse.

On the guy who opened the case. Just submit the tracking number, and Ebay should close it in your favor. Ebay might still pay this guy off out of their own pocket, but at least you won't get a defect for it.

If he has a history of doing this, hopefully it catches up to him. Sanctioned theft really sucks.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Dave

Quote:
Message back from him.

Quote:
i did not see it and was at the beach all day? i buy a lot of papers, i have 3 of these. i was going to bid aggresive but this is above retail.
Let the underbidder know, if they do not take it we will work something out, it was my mistake

I wonder if anybody thinks this was some sort of play at misguided price manipulation. The guy claims he has three of these newspapers already. He said he "was going to bid aggressive" but sorry buddy they ended up above "retail", so no go anymore........but maybe we can work something out.

But, if you think about it, this newspaper now has a final realized price of $810, and will be listed in any memorabilia price database as a final hammer price.

This guy now has 3 of these newspapers with a reported realized price of $810. Auction price, not Buy It Now price....which is generally taken more seriously then "retail".

I understand I'm going all X-Files on this, and I couldn't care less about the lost bid anymore. I just hate loose ends. When life doesn't go as simply as it should, it drives me crazy.

It could very well be as simple as the guy missing a decimal point, and not noticing his high bid until seconds after the auction was over.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Robert Williams

block and move on. I dont have much patience with idiots. You shouldn't either.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
block and move on. I dont have much patience with idiots. You shouldn't either.

What I will probably end up doing Bobby. Just got to get it all out of my system before I can move on.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Archive

Quote:
What I will probably end up doing Bobby. Just got to get it all out of my system before I can move on.
If you block him.....

Be sure and notify him that he is being blocked. Rub his nose in it.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
If you block him.....

Be sure and notify him that he is being blocked. Rub his nose in it.
Ha Haa... Good One Jantz!

Curious... Does Ebay Still Have a Second Chance Offer to the Under Bidder!?
MiGHT Be aN OPTioN!?!?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Hi Dave --

Has he offered some sort of way "to work something out" yet -- or has he gone dark?

Greg
Old 12-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Dan Bretta

Send him another message that says you are publishing his ebay ID on an influential sports memorabilia message board. On second thought, don't do that, I'm sure that will only get you banned from ebay.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Dave

Now I have both the high bidder and the second high bidder trying to negotiate down on the price to way less then half the high bid. The second high bidder, I don't blame. I filed a NPB against the high bidder to get my Ebay fees back and avoid a defect (instead of making it easy on him and just canceling the transaction, and then me relying on him to ok the cancellation), and he went into panic mode, and basically intimated he got run up on purpose by the second high bidder, because of the price history on this piece.

Message back from him:

There is something wrong here....bottom line is this was a mistake. There was one that just sold in better condition for under $300, I purchased another one in the last month for $225...this is the Ebay number to prove it 221933169385
My max bid was $119...not $1191 which is what got registered.
You put a non pay on this item. If you want to cancel the auction so you do not have to pay fees, I would hope you would understand and find that fair. If you want to sell your piece, I will pay you $300. I have been buying newspapers for the past 18 months, I am very familiar with the values and rarity. Your piece is a great item, and I will be glad to add it to my collection.
Thank you.

Honestly, it's probably in my best interest to accept his offer, but a big part of me would rather close out the Non-paying bidder notice, block him, eat the piece, offer it again, and I wouldn't care if it sold for 10% of the original high bid.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Now I have both the high bidder and the second high bidder trying to negotiate down on the price to way less then half the high bid. The second high bidder, I don't blame. I filed a NPB against the high bidder to get my Ebay fees back and avoid a defect (instead of making it easy on him and just canceling the transaction, and then me relying on him to ok the cancellation), and he went into panic mode, and basically intimated he got run up on purpose by the second high bidder, because of the price history on this piece.

Message back from him:

There is something wrong here....bottom line is this was a mistake. There was one that just sold in better condition for under $300, I purchased another one in the last month for $225...this is the Ebay number to prove it 221933169385
My max bid was $119...not $1191 which is what got registered.
You put a non pay on this item. If you want to cancel the auction so you do not have to pay fees, I would hope you would understand and find that fair. If you want to sell your piece, I will pay you $300. I have been buying newspapers for the past 18 months, I am very familiar with the values and rarity. Your piece is a great item, and I will be glad to add it to my collection.
Thank you.

Honestly, it's probably in my best interest to accept his offer, but a big part of me would rather close out the Non-paying bidder notice, block him, eat the piece, offer it again, and I wouldn't care if it sold for 10% of the original high bid.
I would not accept his offer, who says they are not going to try and screw you again. I would close out the case and relist after I blocked them as a bidder. That is what I am going to do to the guy that bought 5 items from me and never paid. My waiting period is done today finally.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
This is exactly what I would do. Once a buyer had shown himself to be unwilling to complete a deal and/or to be a nut job in a binding Ebay transaction, you can't depend on him to complete an off-eBay deal. Better to eat the loss on a relist than to cross your fingers and hope he doesn't file a chargeback on the worked-out deal.

If you REALLY think it was a mistake, and that $300 is the best offer you'll get, why not relist it as a BIN at $300 and drop the deal that way? You could even let the underbidder know about the relist first so he had first option to buy.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Dave

Quote:
Send him another message that says you are publishing his ebay ID on an influential sports memorabilia message board. On second thought, don't do that, I'm sure that will only get you banned from ebay.

Funny, I received an official warning from Ebay on the Powerseller Forum, just for sharing the correspondence between myself and the deadbeat bidder and the link to the item in question. I didn't even mention the ID.

They pretty much deleted or censored out the entire message, which was almost identical to the one I started this thread with.

Then myself and others who posted in the same thread had follow up posts removed or deleted and given additional warnings for even mentioning that a thread that no longer made any sense had been edited by a mod.

This is my last warning from Ebay exactly quoted:

I’m sorry to let you know that your recent post (found below) has been removed because it violates the Usage Policy, which prohibit: Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters

Apparently, EBay is completely terrified by transparency.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
the high bidder who had been high bidder for days cancelled his bid claiming "entered wrong amount".
That may not be the bidder's fault entirely. eBay allows bid retractions but presents a limited list of reasons to choose from. He probably selected one at random. They should move to a no-fault retraction system and stop the silly excuse requirement.

As for the rest of the eBay buyer follies, I haven't sold something on eBay in months and now I remember why...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That may not be the bidder's fault entirely. eBay allows bid retractions but presents a limited list of reasons to choose from. He probably selected one at random. They should move to a no-fault retraction system and stop the silly excuse requirement.

As for the rest of the eBay buyer follies, I haven't sold something on eBay in months and now I remember why...
I have never once retracted a bid so I don't know what they offer as an excuse, but usually when I notice someone has retracted a bid I will look and see how many bid retractions they have and it's usually a ton. I have put a bunch of these bidders on my blocked list. If I notice that someone retracted and only has one or just a few retractions in the last 6 or 12 months I let it slide. However I did once block a guy that retracted bids on two separate items that I had running and I did not realize he had the current high bid on about 10 of my items. Man was he pissed.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 12-18-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Dan Bretta

I woke up to this doozy.

Dear southst9,

I have not forgot about you. It's just that I just bought the playset this guy goes two and it cost me 2 months wages to purchase so I'm booked up on finances until Feb. Please be patient with me and I'll get payment to you. Could you give me time? I know that is awhile off and if not okay I'll figure something out. Please let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 12-19-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I woke up to this doozy.

Dear southst9,

I have not forgot about you. It's just that I just bought the playset this guy goes two and it cost me 2 months wages to purchase so I'm booked up on finances until Feb. Please be patient with me and I'll get payment to you. Could you give me time? I know that is awhile off and if not okay I'll figure something out. Please let me know. Thank you!

Lovely...