NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Daniel

Default 1921 Schapira Big Show - Show and Tell

I'm attaching scans of a few 1921 Schapira Big Shows I picked up some many years ago...
I've had little luck in finding out too much about the set and was hoping there's some fellow board members out there who'd be able to help shine some light on these cards (and also to post any they may own)

-It seems that the majority of the cards I've seen have been folded down the middle::::has anyone seen any that are not? and if so, how were these unfolded cards distributed?

-Does anyone have an educated guess as to a population count of these cards?

-Are there any cards from the set which seem to be more ubiquitous, or any which seem more scarce?

Thanks-----------------Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCHAPIRABOX-A.jpg (26.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg SCHAPIRABOX-B.jpg (25.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg WAJO-A.jpg (15.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg JUDGESCHAPIRA-A.jpg (13.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg ONIELSCHAPIRA-A.jpg (13.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg ONIELSCHAPIRA-B.jpg (71.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Neat and esoteric cards. Here are some I used to own...I have seen some without creases. I heard they were folded to fit in the boxes but am not sure of that..

Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Jay Cee

Well, all I can say is that I like them and never owned one 😒

My only story is that I tried really hard with making many late night bids and fell short being the under bidder on the Cobb in the recent HA auction. It was fun watching and knowing I was minutes away from being the owner of the card to only have my hopes dashed with a higher bid on multiple occassions.

Oh well... It was fun bidding.. 😉

Last edited by BeanTown; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Val Kehl

Daniel, I currently own only the 3 cards pictured below. I once owned a few more of these Schapiras plus a few candy boxes, but I traded them to Leon some years ago. I don't know anything more about this set than has already been mentioned. SGC has graded a total of 20 of these cards, so they are quite scarce - I can't check the PSA pop report as PSA's web site is on the fritz right now.

All of the cards I own/owned have the horizontal crease, but, like Leon, I have seen a couple that had never been folded. If my Alzheimer's-like memory is correct, when I had the boxes, I did try to see if an unfolded card would fit into a candy box - if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't), it did not fit flat against a side of the box, but did fit very tightly in a diagonal fashion, which would make it more difficult to insert the candy. Leon, did you ever try to fit a Schapira card into a candy box?

I note that your WaJo card and my two WaJos are each miscut on the left side - I wonder if all the WaJo cards are like this. Speaking of WaJo cards, I submitted my WaJo card with the blemish near the lower left corner to SGC, but they wouldn't grade it (see their response below), which surprised me - I plan to take all three of my Schapiras to the upcoming Philly Show and try to convince SGC in person that they are all authentic.

Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros trio - fronts.jpg (83.5 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros trio - backs.jpg (78.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Schapira Bros WaJo - SGC reject.jpg (66.7 KB, 172 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 03:10 PM

Late entries:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schapiras 1.jpg (68.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Schapiras 2.jpg (60.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
... I note that your WaJo card and my two WaJos are each miscut on the left side - I wonder if all the WaJo cards are like this. Speaking of WaJo cards, I submitted my WaJo card with the blemish near the lower left corner to SGC, but they wouldn't grade it (see their response below), which surprised me - I plan to take all three of my Schapiras to the upcoming Philly Show and try to convince SGC in person that they are all authentic.

Val
I did take my 3 Schapira cards to the Philly Show at the beginning of this month and showed them to SGC. This convinced them that the one card I wanted graded, the WaJo with the surface blemish in the lower left corner, is authentic, and it now resides in a SGC 10 holder. FYI, this card will appear in the January LOTG Auction.
Val