NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Cool Inscriptions

I'd like to see some items with interesting inscriptions. I've got a few HOF and stat-related inscribed pieces, but I recently picked up this neat George Steinbrenner piece and was hoping to see some other cool inscriptions that members might have:

Old 01-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Collect handwritten letters - they all have cool inscriptions.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM

That is true. I'm more looking for stuff in the vein of the "F Yogi" Mantle ball I saw a while ago. I've always wanted to own one of James Joyce's dirty love letters though.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Here's one of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img042.jpg (73.9 KB, 259 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM
James

^^ HAHA, that made my day.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Haha yes! That's what I'm looking for.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That is true. I'm more looking for stuff in the vein of the "F Yogi" Mantle ball I saw a while ago. I've always wanted to own one of James Joyce's dirty love letters though.
I know, I know. Not trying to rain on your parade.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Here is one from Al Lopez. Request throughout the mail and he sent it back saying he quit signing but then signed it.

image.jpg
Old 01-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Back when. Sent requests TTM I always sent a letter and asked a few questions. Some answered but some didn't. I would send the card without a protector but would include an index card to help keep the envelope from bending too much. Some players would sign the card, answer the questions and sign the index card.
One player (can't recall at the moment) sign the card, answered me questions, and filled out the index card with every team he played and coached for in his career then added across the bottom "You want my DNA too?" Mind you I didn't ask for this. He did it on his own account.
Another one was I had sent a ball to Whitey Ford to sign along with a donation. A kid that worked for me wanted his autograph as well on an index card but wanted it inscribed to him. He included a donation as well and I sent them both together requesting the two autographs.
I got the ball back signed as requested but the index card was sent back blank. I felt awful for the kid but told him it was the rusk of doing this. I decided to step in and help. I sent another request to Ford with the index card explaining the situation hoping he would he me out. I said if he could just sign the card and address is it "To Eli". I stuck in all the cash I had on me at the time to see if it would help. It didn't. I got back the index card and it reads "To Drew. Whitey Ford. PS Next time send more than 5 bucks"
I cut the signature and gave it to the kid. I still have the rest.
Drew
Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 PM

Default Nolan Ryan cool inscription- 4th no-hitter

After Nolan Ryan's 4th no-hitter, So Cal photographer Frank Worth snapped the iconic shot of Nolan holding up 4 balls with "zeros" drawn on them in Flair pen ala Sandy Koufax after his 4th no-hitter.

Ryan signed one of the balls for Frank Worth and added the following inscription that I always thought was pretty cool:

"To Frank,
Best Wishes,
Nolan Ryan"

On the side panel he wrote:
"Glad you were here for the 4th.
Hope you're here for the 5th"

While he didn't ever get his 5th no-hitter on the Angels, he was close several times. In 1979 he took the Yankees into the 9th inning before Reggie Jackson broke it up. He did, of course, eventually live up to his prophecy delivering a record breaking 5th no-hitter in 1981 with the Houston Astros and a 6th and 7th no-hitter with the Texas Rangers in 1990 and 1991, respectively.

This is one of my favorite Ryan items in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan 4th no-hitter game ball-2.jpg (74.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 4th no-hitter game ball-1.jpg (73.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan photo.jpg (34.1 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-31-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Back when. Sent requests TTM I always sent a letter and asked a few questions. Some answered but some didn't. I would send the card without a protector but would include an index card to help keep the envelope from bending too much. Some players would sign the card, answer the questions and sign the index card.
One player (can't recall at the moment) sign the card, answered me questions, and filled out the index card with every team he played and coached for in his career then added across the bottom "You want my DNA too?" Mind you I didn't ask for this. He did it on his own account.
Another one was I had sent a ball to Whitey Ford to sign along with a donation. A kid that worked for me wanted his autograph as well on an index card but wanted it inscribed to him. He included a donation as well and I sent them both together requesting the two autographs.
I got the ball back signed as requested but the index card was sent back blank. I felt awful for the kid but told him it was the rusk of doing this. I decided to step in and help. I sent another request to Ford with the index card explaining the situation hoping he would he me out. I said if he could just sign the card and address is it "To Eli". I stuck in all the cash I had on me at the time to see if it would help. It didn't. I got back the index card and it reads "To Drew. Whitey Ford. PS Next time send more than 5 bucks"
Drew
WOW!!
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Chuck Bednarik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuck.jpg (76.9 KB, 204 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default "Baseballically yours"?

...sure, why not. Thanks, Buddy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc rosar.jpg (74.5 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 02-03-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Wayne Walker

Ive shown this off here before

A close up of the inscription.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 02-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting Cobb. Jimmy Austin said that Cobb would flat out tell infielders that they had nothing to worry about as long as they did not block the bag completely. Cobb was right. Blocking a bag completely to prevent an advancing runner from reaching it w.o having the ball in hand is an obstruction of the runner under Rule 7.06

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-04-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Joel

ESPN Personality and Basketball Analyst

Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Drew
A few weeks ago, I sent off my 1953 Topps to Ford for my project. He returned my card, signed, with a note wrapped around it. I figured it was from him, so I looked at the signature at the bottom. It turned out it wasn't from Ford; it was a note a fan had written to him that had gotten mixed in with my request. I started reading it, and the first or second line was "I am a 61 year old baseball fan currently in prison for my past behavior", and went on at some length about how as a "positive hobby" the guy was collecting autographs. There's a part of me that would like to know what Ford's response was, and an even larger part that is glad I don't put my address or anything personal besides my name in my letters, in case this guy wound up with my letter.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:23 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

This was signed in 1999 or 2000 after Operation Bullpen uncovered about 90% of all McGwire's signatures for sale were fake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (70.8 KB, 59 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears