NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Cobb E95 Authenticity Opinion (large scans!)

Posted By: Brian E.

So the other night, I took a gamble and for the first time since 2002, purchased a raw card off Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8826719318&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1>.

This despite the ebayer's low feedback, little baseball card selling experience and also selling an ungraded 52T Mantle. The seller's explanation is that they purchased the card raw at an auction. I consciously overlooked several red flags but the photo looked good and the seller appears to have a legitimate autoparts business. I've seen enough doctored E95 fakes to know when to stay away but this one looked legit enough for me to pay with paypal (credit card) and if necessary, take the seller up on their return policy if the card was bogus.

The card arrived today and I plan I to send it off to SGC for expedited grading. I have a 30X loupe and can tell with complete certainty if a T206 is a fake or not based off the printing dots. However, this is an E95 not a T206.

Under the loupe, this card does look legit but neither has the same dot pattern as a legit T206 or a fake T206. Under magnification, the white jersey and body of Cobb has a fuzzy appearance whereas the red background has an uneven dot pattern simiar to what I've seen on real T206s. The card stock is stiff/rigid similar to a T206. The sides of the card stock are "fuzzy", again very similar to old cardboard on T206s.

I was hoping I could get some opinions from those who have experience with E95s as this is my first one. I personally give it a decent chance the card will grade but would like more knowledgeable opinions.

Here are detailed scans, you should be able to save them to your computer, then zoom very close to see detail.

Any help or opinions is much appreciated.

Brian E.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Brian- I am keeping my fingers crossed and pulling for you. I was going to get in on the bidding on this card also but nagging doubts and a few emails from collectors who have been in this game for as long or longer than I have been kept me out. I bought an E95 Hoffman recently on ebay which turned out to be a reproduction although I believe the seller had no idea. The main tip off when I got the card was the "feel" of the card on front when I touched it and the chance to observe the coloration in purpose. Damn shame there are fake E95s are floating around and I hope yours is ok...
TBob

Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If those are dots that I think I can see in the white border it's a fake..The writing looks too fuzzy too, from the scan.....good luck and let us know...

Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pete Z.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I hate to say it, but I don't like the looks of this one. The corners are not fuzzy enough, I think I'm seeing the remains of photocopied card edges, colored dots don't look right, stress added to photocopy of actual bends, lettering too fuzzy. And your mentioning that it is stiff like a t206 is not good.

I would know immediately if I could see it, and you would too if you had handled a few low-cost commons first - this is my recommendation before you start buying the higher-priced, alteration and forgery susceptible, members of any set. Good luck with this - I hope it's real.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I was going to bid, but couldnt because of the back boldness in the picture..... I still thought it might be authentic until I saw your closeup scans. Maybe its just your scanner but the print looks too fuzzy. Especially the caption and the thin black line arond the picture on the front and the small print on the back. The letters should be crisp and the ones with holes (p,a,e,d, etc.) should be crisp without the hole filled in.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking it is almost too stiff. The lettering is fuzzy and concerns me. The corners feel unnaturally rounded. Further, as Leon points out, the white borders on the front have printing dots unlike the white borders I've seen on T206s.

Thanks for the advice, I think I've been duped on this one.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

If dot's are in the white border there's honestly no need to send it in...start the refund process (if possible) now.....Cards that are fakes are often scanned (I believe)...which makes those dot's in the border. Real lithography won't have them in the white border....

Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Leon...I totally agree with you and have already contacted the seller to return it. For me, the tell tale sign more than anything else are the white borders on front having printing dots.

Brian E.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The card does look fuzzy like a computer reprint, but it's always hard to tell from a scan as it may be the scan that's fuzzy. Sometimes a poor digital photo makes a real item look fake or otherwise questionable.

It's true that if the borders have a multi-color dot pattern it's a reprint. Same with the back.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

All the above and the natural back appears "colored in" also the text isn't sharp but washed out. The fake wear was well done.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The problem with returning it is that I emailed the seller and asked for a return privilege if I won the card and he said "no way." That was the final red flag for me.
Hopefully you paid with a credit card and can decline payment.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

The auction lists a return policy less S&H. I guess I will see if they honor the policy. Fortunately, I did use my credit card when paying with paypal just incase I had problems.

Never in my life have I filed a paypal claim let alone a chargeback; I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Brian E.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Send him a link to this thread.....the dot pattern, as David reiterated, is fool proof in that it's a reprint. If he/she is honorable they will politely give a refund as stated....good luck

Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Brian,

I would also go straight to the credit card company rather than paypal. You may not get much help from paypal since you actually rec'd the item. Paypal wont like it, but there is nothing to prevent you from going directly through them with any complaint.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i agree with everyone. if all the above red flags are there and ity is not your scanner.
i strongly agree with josh, i would file the claim with paypal and inform your credit card that you are disputing the charges.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

go right to the credit card company. Paypal will gnash their teeth a bit but has no choice because it too is bound by the credit card company policies.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

wow...i watched that one too...i kept comparing it to mine, which is in similar shape, and i thought it looked pretty good. i thought...someone...got a steal...i was wrong. i have lots to learn...too too bad there are fake e95's out there.

pete in mn

Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Just a little follow up on this transaction...

I emailed and phoned the seller, waited a day and after no response, filed a paypal dispute. The seller quickly contacted me; I sent the card back and the refund is pending. Looks like after a little aggravation, I'm only out the return shipping costs.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions on the card's authenticity.

Brian E.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Best of luck Brian....your situation get me from rolling the dice on a similar $ item with questionable authenticity.