NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Did someone say caramels? Sorry I'm late to the party!

Over the past two years I have really fallen in love with the E92-family sets. I know I am in the minority on this board (maybe not in this thread though?), but I actually don't care for the lithography in the T206 set, and I'm not big on portraits. Instead, I like the bold colors, sunsets, and action poses of the caramels from this era. The Dooin, Magee, Schaefer, Mathewson, and others are some of my all-time favorite cards. Incidentally, I'm not as big a fan of E90-1 even though there is significant overlap, because of all the portraits.

Plus, this family is a set-collector's dream. The sets are small enough to be manageable, and range from the very doable (Dockman), to the impossible (red Croft's), and all stops in-between. Back runs abound. The E106 set, with its glossy fronts and wild colors, is actually my favorite of the bunch, although quality control was perhaps at its lowest.

Not pictured: a few T216s, D303s, and Tangos (though I consider them to be honorary caramels).

Wow
Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 AM
Peirce Conboy

Not entirely sure how these online non ebay auctions work, but I believe I won a few e95s at Heritage Spring last night. After I complete the set I think I may find a card with a clean back and display it backwards to show off the checklist and then the 25 players in order.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Delighted to report I snagged 3 great e-cards at last night's Heritage auction, which had been on my want list so long the ink on the paper had faded, and while they certainly weren't cheap, they weren't outrageous by today's realized prices; a E93 Waddell, a E95 Wagner and, for me, the best, a E92 Nadja Davis PSA 6. The Davis was especially important because I am trying to hit for the circuit, holding the Dockman PSA 7, the Croft's Blue PSA 6 and Red SGC 5, leaving only the Crofts Black, if it exists, and the Cocoa, which I have never seen but have no reason to doubt its' existence. Nice to feel some satisfaction instead of the usual frustration at my recent Heritage experience, where I am batting about .120.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:00 PM

John, congrats on the Wags and Davis. I was watching the E95 Wagner but ultimately held off, which was good bc it’s good to a net54er get. I have done several t206 back runs, and like you, I love the diversity on the back. I am strongly considering trying back runs with both e92 Wagner front poses; including e90-1, e101, e102, e105, I guess e106.... am I missing any? Is that an “e” backrun, all the front poses regardless of the e-number? Or is it just all the e92s?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Peirce Conboy

Congrats on your Wagner!
Were there any e95s from this auction that looked to sell a bit low or high?
There is a Mathewson ending in a few hours but I think I may hold off. My first bid wasn't enough to take the lead.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:16 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

John, I seriously have my doubts on whether the black croft's candy Davis exists. I think finding a 4th red croft Davis might be more likely. The Cocoa Davis definitely exists (http://brockelmanauctions.com/LotDet...ventoryid=5203).

Rhotchkiss, a run of both Wagner poses would be extremely impressive and one hell of a challenge. Don't forget to include the T216 (all Kottons, Mino, & VE?), D303 (General Baking, Mothers Bread), and possibly Tango Eggs? In the meantime, could I please get the Nadjas for my set first?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 PM
pete ullman

great pick ups everyone...this thread is comfy!!!! I've missed this card ever since I sold it maybe 3 years ago. Basically Traded it for a cut card version by tim carroll. Got one back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf-2.jpg (16.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:21 PM

Xdrich - I sent you a pm

That’s a nice looking 2 Pete. Congrats

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 04-20-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
John, congrats on the Wags and Davis. I was watching the E95 Wagner but ultimately held off, which was good bc it’s good to a net54er get. I have done several t206 back runs, and like you, I love the diversity on the back. I am strongly considering trying back runs with both e92 Wagner front poses; including e90-1, e101, e102, e105, I guess e106.... am I missing any? Is that an “e” backrun, all the front poses regardless of the e-number? Or is it just all the e92s?
The Wagner run would be awesome...throwing pose imo...and it will be tough to complete.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:34 PM

I totally forgot about the t216s (damn tobacco variations). Yes, it would be an awesome and expensive undertaking..... it’s an enticing idea
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Xdrich - I sent you a pm

That’s a nice looking 2 Pete. Congrats
Response sent...expensive would be an understatement! I also I forgot about the blank backs (at least 2 copies of the throwing pose are known) and the 1 menagerie back (batting pose).
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
John, I seriously have my doubts on whether the black croft's candy Davis exists. I think finding a 4th red croft Davis might be more likely. The Cocoa Davis definitely exists (http://brockelmanauctions.com/LotDet...ventoryid=5203).

Rhotchkiss, a run of both Wagner poses would be extremely impressive and one hell of a challenge. Don't forget to include the T216 (all Kottons, Mino, & VE?), D303 (General Baking, Mothers Bread), and possibly Tango Eggs? In the meantime, could I please get the Nadjas for my set first?
So very helpful. Now I know the E92 Davis Cocoa back exists (wanted posters soon to go up all over town) and the black candy is problematic, my quest will narrow considerably. Listen up T-card fans: E-card backs can be entertaining, too.

As far as the Wags back run is concerned my advise is go-for-it as long as you have no other plans for the rest of your life and exceedingly deep pockets.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Steve

This is a great thread guys.

Dan, I really like your spread of E cards -- very nicely presented!

Ryan, speaking from experience, I would very much consider the availability of all of the cards that you need for a back run before embarking on such a task. I've hit a wall on a couple of pose back runs, and it can be maddening. Then again, that's the fun of collecting!

For example, I only know of two Mothers' Bread Wagners. (Please excuse showing a non-E card. )

I do love the Cocoa back.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This is a very enjoyable thread, and I appreciate looking at all of the eye candy. Admittedly, I am a two (maybe three) time loser at collecting prewar. Somehow it has never clicked for me with the exception of the Obaks, but I have always wanted something else. I've never really tried the caramel/candy cards, but this thread is making me take a long look at the E92s and formulate some plans for down the road. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 PM
David H.

My current favorite! A lot of folks think the E103’s are boring, but I like the looks of all of them being uniformly head shots. The red background is also very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Steve, I totally hear ya. I am neck deep in t206 back runs of Tinker bat off and Evers yellow sky, and aside from the t215 & t214 versions (if t214 exist), I am 1-2 away from completing both. But I have resigned that I will never finish Evers (need the Drum and BL460, both 1 of 1 at current), and holding out hope for a tinker bat off AB 460. Indeed, only recently did I learn that there is zero way I will get that Drum for many years (from the horses mouth), and it was truly disheartening and made the whole (expensive) endeavor feel like a waste, especially when you see Jamie’s red Cobb back run. But it gave me a guide, something to shoot for, and I miss that. So recently I have considered t206 back runs of M Browns Chicago shirt, or Frank Chance yellow portrait (an impossible undertaking), but then I bought a Wagner throwing blue Crofts, and it lit a spark. A few more Wagners later and I am again considering undertaking a maddening impossibility. What’s the worst the happens, I get “stuck” with a bunch of rare-back Wagner cards???!!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You are aiming high. There is nothing wrong in ending with a lot of nice Wagner cards.

Quote:
Steve, I totally hear ya. I am neck deep in t206 back runs of Tinker bat off and Evers yellow sky, and aside from the t215 & t214 versions (if t214 exist), I am 1-2 away from completing both. But I have resigned that I will never finish Evers (need the Drum and BL460, both 1 of 1 at current), and holding out hope for a tinker bat off AB 460. Indeed, only recently did I learn that there is zero way I will get that Drum for many years (from the horses mouth), and it was truly disheartening and made the whole (expensive) endeavor feel like a waste, especially when you see Jamie’s red Cobb back run. But it gave me a guide, something to shoot for, and I miss that. So recently I have considered t206 back runs of M Browns Chicago shirt, or Frank Chance yellow portrait (an impossible undertaking), but then I bought a Wagner throwing blue Crofts, and it lit a spark. A few more Wagners later and I am again considering undertaking a maddening impossibility. What’s the worst the happens, I get “stuck” with a bunch of rare-back Wagner cards???!!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
Some t's
Wow.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You are aiming high. There is nothing wrong in ending with a lot of nice Wagner cards.
Gotta aim high!!

By far my least favorite E card set/issue, and likely the Wagner I am least motivated to buy, especially since I already have his picture in the form of Joe Tinker (below), who, save the team name on the shirt, appears identical to Wagner in the E91 series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E91-B Tinker Front.jpg (75.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Steve

I completely understand, and I agree -- nothing wrong with a few Wagners!

One thing to consider -- you could always start at the hard end of a back run -- when you pick up a 1/1 or 1/2 that looks great, you know you have the hard part finished, but then you get to work backwards into a nice back run.

To answer your question though, the "worst" thing that could happen is that you go toe-to-toe over several hard cards and win...only to pay a large premium to have beaten out the one other collector that "had to have" that particular card or cards.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Tinker

Quote:
Gotta aim high!!

By far my least favorite E card set/issue, and likely the Wagner I am least motivated to buy, especially since I already have his picture in the form of Joe Tinker (below), who, save the team name on the shirt, appears identical to Wagner in the E91 series.
At least you have a card that has the facial likeness of Tinker. The E91C Honus Wagner that uses this same front design is of course Wagner in name only.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tinkere254.jpg (73.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg E91comparisonsTinkerWaddell253.jpg (24.9 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Steve, lots to respond to. That’s exactly how I got into my t206 tinker and Evers back runs. I picked up a tinker Uzit (SGC 84 SGC and happy its in an SGC flip), and figured I had the hard one knocked out. A year later I can’t even find anyone to let me totally overpay for an AB 460, and the SC 350, 25 was a total beast. With Evers, I took down a red Hindu and BL 350 in the same week and said heck, that’s a good start. Now I have everything but the Drum and the BL 460, neither of which I will ever get (or no time soon).

Meanwhile, I have 100% overpaid for tinker and Evers cards in pursuit of the backruns. And it sucks, bc I am sitting on a few cards worth $3k that I paid $5k for (for example, and I have done worse), and I can’t even finish the damn runs, which would at least make it worth it. And Wagner crushes Tinker and Evers, meaning the overpays get worse. The good news is I have been through this and I know now that no card is that important and any complete back run is unlikely- so hopefully I will bid/buy more prudently, but your point is very well taken!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper1927 View Post
My current favorite! A lot of folks think the E103’s are boring, but I like the looks of all of them being uniformly head shots. The red background is also very nice.

I’ve always loved this Matty. Sweet card!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There are countless ways to collect E cards and there is no wrong way!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe137x7.jpg (73.8 KB, 100 views)