NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Ken McMillan

Default 2016 Cubs are WS champions

Unless you are living in a hole, I am sure this is not new news but the 108 year drought is over for us Cub fans. Was an awesome series and awesome game 7 in extras. Will be one of the more memorable World series in the history of the sport. Indians were a tough adversary and they played us tough. Go Cubs Go!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Simply amazing.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:21 PM

I love this team. It was worth all the waiting.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:41 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

What an amazing WS...I live in Seattle but I grew up with a Dad who LOVED the Cubbies (Ron Cey started it...haha) and I travel each week...and got to see the Cubs several times at Wrigley this year....so a transplant long term fan (behind my beloved Mariners of course). Sitting in a bar in St. Paul Minnesota right now and the place is going nuts...great day for the MLB!!!!

What a series...what a game. A true tribute to the sport we love and support. There are long time Cub fans here weeping...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Mark Rios

Congrats to the Cubbies!!!!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Mike Mattsey

"Whoever heard of the Cubs losing a game they had to have?"

-Frank Chance, 1908.

Frank, the boys done us all proud tonight!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:54 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Congrats to the Cubbies!!!!
+1
Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Louie Michaud

I mean isn't that exactly what baseball is about right there? What a game, one of the greatest I've seen no doubt. I remember what it was like to grow up a Giants fan, with my dad, and how special it was to share '10 '12 and '14 with him, especially after we shared all those years of heartbreak before that. I can imagine Cubs fans are experiencing that same type of joy, not only in victory, but in a shared release of pain that in their case has been truly generational.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:20 AM

Default Congrats to Ken and all the Cubs Fans!

Congrats to Ken and all the Cubs fans!

I'm sure you are feeling the pure joy like l felt when the Red Sox finally won the 2004 World Series!

Enjoy!

No need to "Wait Until Next Year"...This is your year!

Patrick
Old 11-03-2016, 12:21 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Even though I've never been a Cubs fan, I was rooting for the Cubs in the World Series. After game 4 however, I said to myself "Stick a fork in 'em (the Cubs), they're done!" I just couldn't see them coming back from 3-1 down.

Then, I started thinking. Lester starting game 5 at Wrigley, and the Cubs will have the mindset of "we can't let the Indians sweep us at Wrigley". Then Arrieta pitching game 6. If he can do what he's done all year, and they give him some offensive support, then you've got a game 7, which is anyone's game. Sure, the Indians will be at home, but the Cubs will have the momentum. I still felt the odds favored the Indians, but I no longer thought the Cubs were "done".

Then, what do you know, the Cubs won games 5 and 6. I couldn't even watch game 6 because my stupid cable company (Time Warner/Spectrum) flipped the wrong switch while making a change to my account, and killed my cable connection Tuesday afternoon. I didn't get my cable back until Wednesday afternoon. Then game 7; probably the best game 7 in history. I thought Maddon was crazy to pull Hendrix out when he did. I actually shed a tear when Ross hit the homerun in his last game, while realizing he wouldn't have even been in the game at that point had Maddon not put in Lester when he did. Then Maddon doubled-down on his craziness when he pulled Lester! Chapman just didn't have any gas left in his tank; he was running on fumes. He beared down though and got through it!

Congratulations to the Cubs for never giving up and keeping with the fight, and especially to all their fans who have weathered the storms of futility and being oh-so-close so many times.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 AM
David M.

I'm obviously a Cardinals fan, but was cheering for the Cubs tonight to break the curse. It was a great game and was in doubt till the end. I loved the Budweiser commercial with Harry Caray they ran after the game. Congrats to all the long suffering Cubs fans.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Did You Catch That?

The quote of the night?

Joe Buck said, "This commercial-free break is brought to you by T-Mobile."

Now, say goodnight, Raymond.

"Goodnight Raymond"

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-03-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Daryl

I'm sleepy as all get out this morning, but what a game!!

How lucky is Ben Zobrist?

The only downside to this historic event: tickets to Wrigley will now be the most expensive item of the trip to the National.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm baseballed out. Watched more games this season than any year I can remember. Well needed break needed. Still and always the greatest game in the world.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't watch MLB but did some of the WS and Game 7. That was a great game. Congrats to the Cubbies and their fans. I am a National League person so was rooting for them....
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Bill T.

An unexpected side benefit...

My wife is definitely not a baseball fan. But she's from Chicago, and would sit with me reading or playing a game, sort of listening while I watched the series. During game 3, she lifted her head and said, "What's the difference between a 2-seam fastball and a 4-seam fastball?" Hooked!

Bill
Old 11-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Let's buy this man a beer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bartman_10p_CMYK.jpg (40.7 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:02 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

The CHICAGO CUBS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! I didn't think I would ever be able to say/or witness that in my lifetime! I'm fairy certain I died at least 3 times while watching Game 7. If it wasn't for that rain delay to regather ourselves (Jason Heyward finally had his moment) I don't know if we would've pulled out the win. In the end, it took 1 rain delay to end a 108 year drought.

I stayed up to 3:30am partying it up and finally I can stop saying, " Wait..until next year.." ...now... you'll hear me say, " Let's repeat baby!"

FLY THE "W"--orld Champs!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Default Dodger fan here

Cubs totally deserve it. Congrats to all Cubs fans out there. The misery is over.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Great win for Cubs fans and one of the very best games I have ever watched.

Had they lost, the very questionable pitching decisions by Maddon the last two games might have been criticized forever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-03-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Maddon is the one thing about the Cubs I don't like. Spends waaay too much making deliberately off the wall decisions to show the world what an eccentric genius he is. Very contrived.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Maddon is the one thing about the Cubs I don't like. Spends waaay too much making deliberately off the wall decisions to show the world what an eccentric genius he is. Very contrived.
Unless there was something we didn't know, he inexplicably (to me) yanked early two of the league's best starters who were on cruise control. And his handling of Chapman was horrible, who the hell uses a closer for multiple innings with a five run lead? And although as it turned out Chapman pitched a gutsy 9th last night, after getting lit up like a pinball machine he should have been out of there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:33 AM

I don't understand his blase attitude toward Hector Rondon. The guy was your closer 2 years running and closed the first half of this year. Yet when it comes to the palyoffs and a burnt out Chapman, he's nowhere to be found. Instead he goes with Carl Edwards Jr.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
GO CUBS ............

When Maddon pulled Hendrix for Lester which resulted in 2 more Runs for Clev., I was livid. Then Maddon pulled Lester, and I told my wife the Cubs are going to lose this game.

Thank Providence for the 17 min. rain delay....a really great World Series.

TED Z
Old 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
David McDonald

Tinkers to Evers to Rizzo!
The Cardiac Cubs are champs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14980680_656636744502243_944555128178650794_n.jpg (77.1 KB, 176 views)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Mike Ryan

OK Maddon choked. Thank goodness the players didn't. I hope that pamphlet he kept referring to during the game was about "Florida Retirement".
Old 11-03-2016, 11:40 AM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
OK Maddon choked. Thank goodness the players didn't. I hope that pamphlet he kept referring to during the game was about "Florida Retirement".
My sediments exactly .............. he looked like a frightened little high school freshman the entire game ..............
Old 11-03-2016, 11:49 AM
je.sse @rnot

Steve D, too late now, but you could have downloaded the fox sports app and watched the game for free. I watched a couple of games on my phone while stuck at work. A great ending to perhaps the greatest world series of all time, despite the questionable decisions by the Cubs manager.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
The CHICAGO CUBS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS! I didn't think I would ever be able to say/or witness that in my lifetime! I'm fairy certain I died at least 3 times while watching Game 7. If it wasn't for that rain delay to regather ourselves (Jason Heyward finally had his moment) I don't know if we would've pulled out the win. In the end, it took 1 rain delay to end a 108 year drought.

I stayed up to 3:30am partying it up and finally I can stop saying, " Wait..until next year.." ...now... you'll hear me say, " Let's repeat baby!"

FLY THE "W"--orld Champs!
My only question is does Heyward's $170M locker room speech excuse his abysmal batting?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

It's kind of ironic that the Cleveland Cavs came back from a 3-1 series deficit to win the NBA Championship. However the Cleveland Indians let a 3-1 series lead slip away in the World Series.

Congrats Cubs!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Daryl

In case you wondered why there wasn't a jersey as bright as the sun shining from the seats behind home plate, the Marlins Man had to sit this one out: https://mobile.twitter.com/Marlins_M...545385472?s=04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 12:49 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
My only question is does Heyward's $170M locker room speech excuse his abysmal batting?

Maybe I'm crazy, but why not? We surly weren't going to get much from his game performances. His AB's were horrible. His glove was decent/a little above avg. That's it.

If his contribution to the team was regrouping us... to make sure we finish the game with a "W"... to beat a 108 year drought/curse....I'll take it. I'm surprise it was Heyward that made the "speech" vs. Ross.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:21 PM

I'm still in shock. What an incredible game that showed just how tough and gritty this Cubs team is. A lot of teams (most certainly Cubs teams of the past) would have folded after that homer to tie. But the Cubs battled back. Amazing. I'm a zombie today at work. But all my friends here in New York are congratulating me so it's pretty sweet. I agree that Maddon's decisions were questionable at best -- I was screaming at the television when he took Hendricks out. But I do believe he was the right guy to lead this team. He kept the Cubs loose all year under incredible pressure. And they obviously love the guy and play their asses off for him. Again, amazing.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Congrats to Cubs fans and condolences to Indians fans. Too bad one of those long-suffering sets of fans had to be on the losing end.

Last edited by icollectDCsports; 11-03-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Such a great WS capped off by an amazing game 7. Great time to be a baseball fan to finally see the Cubs win it all.

I'm not sure if Red Sox fans (of which I am) and Cubs fans are kindred spirits, but my hear sank after Davis hit the HR to tie the game. It felt like the "curse" was going to continue.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:46 PM

I wonder why they didn't open up Wrigley Field for the game. They could have charged nominal admission, opened the concessions, patched the game in on the scoreboard and made a killing.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
What an amazing WS...I live in Seattle but I grew up with a Dad who LOVED the Cubbies (Ron Cey started it...haha) and I travel each week...and got to see the Cubs several times at Wrigley this year....so a transplant long term fan (behind my beloved Mariners of course). Sitting in a bar in St. Paul Minnesota right now and the place is going nuts...great day for the MLB!!!!

What a series...what a game. A true tribute to the sport we love and support. There are long time Cub fans here weeping...
John, which bar are you in? Gabe's by the Park?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I wonder why they didn't open up Wrigley Field for the game. They could have charged nominal admission, opened the concessions, patched the game in on the scoreboard and made a killing.
I believe because its in a neighborhood, even during the regular season they are only allotted a certain amount of night games. (could be another reason but this is my guess)

Peoples lawns get trashed. Lots of drunken fans leaving garbage in their yards, peeing in the alleys, sides of their houses.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
John, which bar are you in? Gabe's by the Park?
I was going to be a smart a$$ and say Stand up Frank's but I seen my favorite dive bar in MSP closed. Had some crazy times there back in the late 80's early 90's.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Don

I'm already looking forward to 2124!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Bry@n

I thought that this story belonged in this thread:

http://www.wthr.com/article/cubs-fan...nwood-cemetery
Old 11-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Didn't it seem like there was a whole lot of action after two outs?

I thought so...so I went back and check the play-by-plays.

Each team scored 27 total runs in the series:

Chicago scored 9 runs after two outs (5 in Game 6)

Cleveland scored 16 runs after two outs (5 in Game 1; 6 in Game 7)

I thought this was pretty interesting.

What a GREAT final game! I do believe I can make it through the winter now.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-03-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:26 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Since this is a memorabilia forum, I thought you guys might like to see a screen capture I made of Anthony Rizzo putting the ball used to make the final out in his pocket for safekeeping.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Val Kehl

Before all you Cubs fans get your hopes up too high for a repeat in 2017, keep in mind that it is now Washington's turn to win a WS. We haven't won since 1924, which is a 92 year drought for anyone who is counting. If Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg avoid slumps/injuries next year, then ... Oh well, one can always dream!!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Since this is a memorabilia forum, I thought you guys might like to see a screen capture I made of Anthony Rizzo putting the ball used to make the final out in his pocket for safekeeping.

I actually noticed that as it happened. I thought what a cool momento of this historic series for him as a player. Also thought wonder how long before it comes up to auction.
Drew
Old 11-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Before all you Cubs fans get your hopes up too high for a repeat in 2017, keep in mind that it is now Washington's turn to win a WS. We haven't won since 1924, which is a 92 year drought for anyone who is counting. If Harper, Zimmerman, and Strasburg avoid slumps/injuries next year, then ... Oh well, one can always dream!!

Val, all they have to do is trade for Zobrist.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Victory Parade Crowd Estimates at 5M !

Now, that's amazing!

My old bosses would have made me work...
which is another good reason I'm retired.

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-04-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Val, all they have to do is trade for Zobrist.
Daryl, I would love for the Nationals to trade for Zobrist, so long as the Cubbies aren't thinking they are going to get Danny Murphy in return!
Old 11-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Val Kehl

Here's the link to a touching piece in today's Washington Post about a die-hard Cubs fan, an Ernie Banks baseball card, and the POTUS/FLOTUS: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-cubs-curse/
Old 11-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
What on earth happened to Harper this year? It seems he never got his head back together after a few series where the opposing team kept walking him intentionally. Staggering drop-off from 2015.