NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 2019 Net54baseball Banquet at the National Convention

There will be a 2019 Net54baseball Banquet at the National Convention. It is being held at the same place (not sure of the room yet) as in 2017, the Embassy Suites across the street from the Donald Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. The banquet with open bar, soft drinks, water and horse duvers will be Friday night (8/2/19) from 630pm until around 11pm-12am again...maybe later depending on how much I drink . There will probably be at least a few speakers again but that is undecided right now. It might be just me on stage doing the worm!! All members are invited and there will be an RSVP around 3-4 weeks beforehand. Thanks go to Heritage Auctions for stepping up and being the Platinum Sponsor again. It's appreciated. Spouses and kiddos are more than welcome. Hopefully a lot of members can make it by. It should be fun.

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Making plans of being there already.

Have always wanted to attend a Net54 gathering
Old 10-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Rich Klein

YAY! This type of event is why I prefer Chicago to Cleveland or A.C. We can all attend and walk (or stumble) back home.

Rich
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's a bit early but ....there will be a 2019 Net54baseball Banquet at the National Convention. It is being held at the same place (not sure of the room yet) as in 2017, the Embassy Suites across the street from the Donald Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. The banquet with open bar, soft drinks, water and horse duvers will be Friday night (8/2/19) from 630pm until around 11pm-12am again...maybe later depending on how much I drink . There will probably be at least a few speakers again but that is undecided right now. It might be just me on stage doing the worm!! All members are invited and there will be an RSVP around 3-4 weeks beforehand. Thanks go to Heritage Auctions for stepping up and being the Platinum Sponsor again. It's appreciated. Spouses and kiddos are more than welcome. Hopefully a lot of members can make it by. It should be fun.
Does the Embassy Suites connect via Skywalk to the Rosemont? I have a hazy memory of 1-2 hotels connecting that way.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

A very nice gesture on Heritage’s part. Chris, Pete and the boys are the best.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Does the Embassy Suites connect via Skywalk to the Rosemont? I have a hazy memory of 1-2 hotels connecting that way.
No, I don't think it is physically connected (not positive) but is across the street from the convention.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
No, I don't think it is physically connected (not positive) but is across the street from the convention.
I think it does connect the 2 hotels across the street from the convention--I use the skywalk when I stay at that hotel---and I always enjoy the net54 party--great pizza, snacks, etc and the booze---I always enjoy the speakers and getting to see other net54 members. Looking forward to it again.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Mike Reid

Never too early to talk about the Net54 event. Missed not having in Cleveland this year and really looking forward to it in Chicago. Thanks Leon!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: It's a Bit Early But ....2019 Net54baseball Banquet at the National Convention

Quote:
Pretty sure it does, but I think you need to access the skywalk from the parking garage.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Shows you what I know, not much. And as for the pizza, it soaks up alcohol well. And it will help because I am pretty sure I will vacillate between 1-2 Corona's at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I think it does connect the 2 hotels across the street from the convention--I use the skywalk when I stay at that hotel---and I always enjoy the net54 party--great pizza, snacks, etc and the booze---I always enjoy the speakers and getting to see other net54 members. Looking forward to it again.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I'll be there at the '19 National and would love to meet you all. Cant wait!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
I'll be there at the '19 National and would love to meet you all. Cant wait!
It should be a lot of fun no doubt. There are a lot of new members and I hope many will maKe it. It's always fun to put a face with an ID. There will be nametags as usual too. And they will politely be required at the event.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The less than 3 months until the party bump to the top....Hope to see a lot of members at the banquet. If anyone knows anyone that would like to give a short speech, other than a sales one , I am all ears. Otherwise it is me on stage doing the worm again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLgfR7-QN4

Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Tim Zwick

Quote:
The less than 3 months until the party bump to the top....Hope to see a lot of members at the banquet. If anyone knows anyone that would like to give a short speech, other than a sales one , I am all ears. Otherwise it is me on stage doing the worm again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLgfR7-QN4

Without question, a Leon and Disco Dan dance duet would make this year's banquet a memorable one for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disco Dan .jpg (76.1 KB, 1040 views)

Recommended Net54 Members with completed successful dealings: danmckee, whiteymet, jgmp123, seyhey24, quinnsryche, Greenmonster, vintagechris, BigSix, bobbyw8469, jdl7860, brian29575, jcmtiger, Paul S, Andy Sandler, SteveMitchell, tiger8mush, Lordstan, smrtn240, Gobucsmagic74, boysblue, timn1, Cards2121, grandcards, eastonfalcon19, drumback, Jacklitsch + dozens more......Thank you all!

CURRENTLY SELLING
Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A few folks have asked about a Net54baseball banquet this year. So here is the info again (above). Free drinks and horse duvers.....(my spelling) for around 5-6 hours with friends in the hobby. What could be better? Next month we will do the normal RSVP to get a head count. Still looking for anyone that wants to give a speech for 10-15 minutes concerning the hobby. Hope to see all members there.
thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
A few folks have asked about a Net54baseball banquet this year. So here is the info again (above). Free drinks and horse duvers.....(my spelling) for around 5-6 hours with friends in the hobby. What could be better? Next month we will do the normal RSVP to get a head count. Still looking for anyone that wants to give a speech for 10-15 minutes concerning the hobby. Hope to see all members there.
thanks
An actual educational speech or maybe just drunken/incoherent rambling? I'm probably not your man for one but just the guy you are looking for, for the other!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

I’m sure Brent will want to take this golden opportunity to speak and set the record straight.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
I’m sure Brent will want to take this golden opportunity to speak and set the record straight.
You aren't invited. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Not sure why I wouldn’t be invited. I would think in light of the numerous threads monopolizing the board regarding Brent and PWCC lately that this would be the perfect opportunity for him to speak directly to the most passionate collectors and further explain his version of the story? Wouldn’t you welcome that Leon? Isn’t that essentially the point of a message board? Or am I missing something?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Not sure why I wouldn’t be invited. I would think in light of the numerous threads monopolizing the board regarding Brent and PWCC lately that this would be the perfect opportunity for him to speak directly to the most passionate collectors and further explain his version of the story? Wouldn’t you welcome that Leon? Isn’t that essentially the point of a message board? Or am I missing something?
He's already booked, I hear, for the Blowout Cards dinner.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Can we try for Betsy instead then?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Can we try for Betsy instead then?

Gone.
Reinstated but lets not let PWCC consume the whole board and every thread, please. Maybe he will speak at the Banquet, who knows? Come to it and find out.

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Let this be a warning. IF the crap about PWCC consumes other threads, not about them, it will be dealt with quickly. Talk all you want to in threads concerning them but when it spills everywhere else that is too much, imo.

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Why should I have gotten banned in the first place for simply suggesting that it might be a good idea for a speaker at your banquet to be the person who has consumed this board for the last couple of weeks so he can at least discuss the controversy surrounding his practices? He’s a hugely topical subject of our hobby right now. And why is it bad for “trolls” to post under IDs but also bad for people to speak their minds here under their real names? I’m pretty new here and perhaps I’m missing something but it seems as if you’re creating a climate of fear by censoring the board while all I was suggesting to do was to give Brent/PWCC an opportunity to speak directly to those who are most impacted by what is going on? Shouldn’t that be a main purpose of a forum like this?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Why should I have gotten banned in the first place for simply suggesting that it might be a good idea for a speaker at your banquet to be the person who has consumed this board for the last couple of weeks so he can at least discuss the controversy surrounding his practices? He’s a hugely topical subject of our hobby right now. And why is it bad for “trolls” to post under IDs but also bad for people to speak their minds here under their real names? I’m pretty new here and perhaps I’m missing something but it seems as if you’re creating a climate of fear by censoring the board while all I was suggesting to do was to give Brent/PWCC an opportunity to speak directly to those who are most impacted by what is going on? Shouldn’t that be a main purpose of a forum like this?
While I can't speak for Leon and I have no idea of your intentions, as an outsider, the original comment came across as kind of snide. It could be taken out of context.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Wasn’t meant that way but I do appreciate the clarification.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default George Troendle

Quote:
Wasn’t meant that way but I do appreciate the clarification.
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Last edited by GeoPoto; 05-25-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Leon's Suggestion
Old 05-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Wow nice 4th post!
Old 05-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Same rules on this forum for everyone. Yes, I took the first comment from Curious as snide and the second one as just being an arse. Didn't really want to deal with it but it wasn't a bannable situation. Everyone can speak their mind on this forum. Put your name next to it and fire away. The people who have been banned in the past were the biggest pains in the rear on the forum, to me. They all had many warnings and knew exactly what they were doing when acting the way they did. So, Three years back it was me or them and well....they are gone. It changed the complexion of the place for the better, at least to me.
Concerning the Net54 banquet...that might not be a bad suggestion, I might ask Brent about speaking at the dinner. I just don't know how unlimited alcohol and those discussions might go. .. Dunno, gotta think about that.

GeoPoto probably needs his/her name out here, per the rule in bold at the top of every page, or he/she can edit their post above.

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

As the young people say, SMH.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Same rules on this forum for everyone. Yes, I took the first comment from Curious as snide and the second one as just being an arse. Didn't really want to deal with it but it wasn't a bannable situation. Everyone can speak their mind on this forum. Put your name next to it and fire away. The people who have been banned in the past were the biggest pains in the rear on the forum, to me. They all had many warnings and knew exactly what they were doing when acting the way they did. So, Three years back it was me or them and well....they are gone. It changed the complexion of the place for the better, at least to me.
Concerning the Net54 banquet...that might not be a bad suggestion, I might ask Brent about speaking at the dinner. I just don't know how unlimited alcohol and those discussions might go. .. Dunno, gotta think about that.

GeoPoto probably needs his/her name out here, per the rule in bold at the top of every page, or he/she can edit their post above.
I know my opinion means little to nothing but please do not do that. I see no way it could end but badly. The national should be fun.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Will there be a question and answer period if Brent speaks?
Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It would be up to him but why not? As long as the banquet stays civil. I think him speaking is a long shot but I guess you never know.
Quote:
Will there be a question and answer period if Brent speaks?

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:48 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It would be up to him but why not? As long as the banquet stays civil. I think him speaking is a long shot but I guess you never know.
The reasons why not are all too apparent, unless he is truly delusional.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I don't know, with his confidence and delusions of grandeur I could see him thinking he could pull this off. Would be a very interesting evening.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 05-25-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The reasons why not are all too apparent, unless he is truly delusional.
Didn’t Dougie speak at one of these? Or John Rogers? If Brent goes I’ll be there with a tape recorder.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I don't know, with his confidence and illusions of grandeur I could see him thinking he could pull this off. Would be a very interesting evening.
I won't be there, but for me it would be a tradeoff between not attending out of disgust, and wanting to see the train wreck.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Jimmy Motz

I would certainly enjoy attending this banquet, although I am not the most active poster I do read the posts everyday and love hearing about all the great items alot of you have, almost embarrassed by my collection after joining Net54, but has also inspired me to pursue more of my collecting goals. I live close to Rosemont and havent missed a show there in 10 years to include the National when it is held there and all the Sun Time shows and now its called the Chicago Sports Spectacular and I to every show ( Nov, Mar, June)
So I hope to meet alot of you on here
Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default net54 at the nscc

I'm not sure what my duties will be with the auction house (it's their dime), but if I'm free, it would be interesting to meet and listen to the group when I'm in Chicago.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 05-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default banquet

Personally, I would love to have PWCC and PSA there and I would be very upset if it was anything but civil. I love collecting and have done so since I was 10 years old (41 years). I do not have any $100,000 cards but I do have a six figure collection in total.
Lately, I have become concerned. If technology and bad actors make it impossible tell a fake piece from a genuine piece, or a legitimate high grade card from an altered or conserved card, is the hobby headed for a fall? Do I need to get out? Or will passing on a 1938 Goudey Dimaggio in a PSA holder or a 1951 Bowman Mays in a SGC holder still have value and legitimacy in 20 years if I pass it on to my kids?
I have a couple thousand TPG graded cards. I don’t know of any of mine that are altered (other than the ones labeled that way) but I would be naive to think that they are all clean. Does that mean I am complicit in the problem if I sell? What about if I sell a psa 8 that only deserves a 6?
My personal opinion is that it would be unfair to say that PWCC, PSA, BVG, SCG, REA, etc., etc. caused this problem. But I would certainly think it is fair to say they contributed to the problem.
I would love to see an intelligent discussion on how to solve the problem. Maybe a panel? What I would hate to see is it disintegrate into what is happening now in Washington where everyone just insults each other, nobody acts like an adult, and nothing gets done. If we invite Brett or Joe Orlando or whoever, let’s not waste the opportunity to accomplish something by disintegrating into a mob.

Rob Kasenter
Old 05-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkas68 View Post
Personally, I would love to have PWCC and PSA there and I would be very upset if it was anything but civil. I love collecting and have done so since I was 10 years old (41 years). I do not have any $100,000 cards but I do have a six figure collection in total.
Lately, I have become concerned. If technology and bad actors make it impossible tell a fake piece from a genuine piece, or a legitimate high grade card from an altered or conserved card, is the hobby headed for a fall? Do I need to get out? Or will passing on a 1938 Goudey Dimaggio in a PSA holder or a 1951 Bowman Mays in a SGC holder still have value and legitimacy in 20 years if I pass it on to my kids?
I have a couple thousand TPG graded cards. I don’t know of any of mine that are altered (other than the ones labeled that way) but I would be naive to think that they are all clean. Does that mean I am complicit in the problem if I sell? What about if I sell a psa 8 that only deserves a 6?
My personal opinion is that it would be unfair to say that PWCC, PSA, BVG, SCG, REA, etc., etc. caused this problem. But I would certainly think it is fair to say they contributed to the problem.
I would love to see an intelligent discussion on how to solve the problem. Maybe a panel? What I would hate to see is it disintegrate into what is happening now in Washington where everyone just insults each other, nobody acts like an adult, and nothing gets done. If we invite Brett or Joe Orlando or whoever, let’s not waste the opportunity to accomplish something by disintegrating into a mob.

Rob Kasenter
Rob, those are all lofty goals. Unfortunately Brent has Fifth Amendment issues and at some point he may find a competent attorney in Oregon.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Robert Kasenter

Default get it

I get Brent may have some significant business issues. I am an attorney and the Chief Compliance Officer for a large company. Believe me that I understand that bad things happen. However, if you get stuck on those bad things then you never get past them. That would be unfortunate. I am not arguing that we can come together and eliminate fraud and that it will all be roses. There is a fair amount of fraud anywhere there is money to be made (stock market, etc)
However, if a market is 98% legit (US economy), people play. If it is 30% legit (Venezuela) people run. If we don’t do a better job then it is run time.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I get Brent may have some significant business issues. I am an attorney and the Chief Compliance Officer for a large company. Believe me that I understand that bad things happen. However, if you get stuck on those bad things then you never get past them. That would be unfortunate. I am not arguing that we can come together and eliminate fraud and that it will all be roses. There is a fair amount of fraud anywhere there is money to be made (stock market, etc)
However, if a market is 98% legit (US economy), people play. If it is 30% legit (Venezuela) people run. If we don’t do a better job then it is run time.
Well sometimes due process has to slowly occur before we as a hobby can move forward. This part is out of our control. And it would help if Brent’s “significant business issues,” i.e. fraud on the hobby, would end. He’s got more control than anyone on the issue of our moving past his fraud.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Possible Fifteen Minute Speech at Nat'l?

Greetings. In the February 2019 issue of Beckett Vintage Collector I wrote an article about my recent experiences selling a SMALL portion of my baseball card collection (sets) through auction houses. It was called "Selling Your Baseball Cards" and it detailed how I organized a few sets for sale and then tested three auction houses to see how each one of them did. The theme of the piece: Have a plan and prep your sets before you sell them.
LEON: Assuming you get this pub, you can read what I wrote and determine if the subject would be of interest to your Net54 forum members. If you think it would be, it would be easy for me to talk 15 minutes on what I experienced for your 8/2 get-together. If not, no big deal.
If you don't get this pub, I can photocopy the article and snail mail it to you for your perusal.
What's my motive (for any cynics out there!)? Simply to give back something to the hobby I love. If one person can benefit from my experiences, I'm a happy camper.
Take care.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:48 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:

I nominate robkas68 to speak on 8/2

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM
K@t Alex@nder

On a lighter note! They have a pretty cool pizza tour in Chicago. Could be a fun thing to do as a group on Thurs or Sat (definitely not overlapping with the banquet).
Old 05-28-2019, 06:16 AM
Tom Boblitt

Quote:
thanks
Pretty sure it's spelled 'whores d'ovaries'
Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 AM

The Net54 dinner is always the very best part of the entire National trip.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And it should be fun again this year. We will do an RSVP in approximately a couple weeks. Hope to see all our members make it over....free beer, cocktails, soda etc....and some cheap pizza to sop it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The Net54 dinner is always the very best part of the entire National trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r329clopay.jpg (77.6 KB, 318 views)