NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default November Pickups

My 2 recents pickups, both from Ebay.

The 1st is a 1912-1917 Deadball Era International League Baseball, Edward Barrow President Stamping. Significant becuz Babe Ruth played his only minor league season in 1914 in that 8-Team International League.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IntlLeague19121917.jpg (77.5 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg Barrowstamp.jpg (70.3 KB, 860 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default and my 2nd p/u

A Real Photo Postcard of the Warner Hotel in Chicago where the gamblers met with the Black Sox in Chicago during the 1919 World Series.

Been waiting and hoping for this one for awhile. 1st one I've seen come up on Ebay and several Postcard Sites in years of watching. The search is over!

Quote from Chick Gandil: "Later in Chicago I got word from Sullivan that he was bringing a friend from New York to sew up the deal. A meeting was arranged at the old Warner Hotel on the South Side, where many of the players lived. Sullivan introduced his friend as “Mr. Ryan,” but, having met this man two years before in New York, I recognized him as Arnold Rothstein, the big shot gambler."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HotelWarnerBlackSox.jpg (76.7 KB, 860 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Steven Finley

Bridges 1930 Press Photo from the minor league Evansville Hubs.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
A Real Photo Postcard of the Warner Hotel in Chicago where the gamblers met with the Black Sox in Chicago during the 1919 World Series.

Been waiting and hoping for this one for awhile. 1st one I've seen come up on Ebay and several Postcard Sites in years of watching. The search is over!

Quote from Chick Gandil: "Later in Chicago I got word from Sullivan that he was bringing a friend from New York to sew up the deal. A meeting was arranged at the old Warner Hotel on the South Side, where many of the players lived. Sullivan introduced his friend as “Mr. Ryan,” but, having met this man two years before in New York, I recognized him as Arnold Rothstein, the big shot gambler."
Moe,
Very cool postcard! That just shows that doing good detective work and perseverance pays off. I love hearing stories like these. These are always some of the best pickups! Congrats!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Happy to add this Iconic 1944 Betty Grable Pin-Up Pose TYPE 1 Photograph to my collection.

BTW... This image was selected as one of LIFE Magazine's 2003 Book "100 Photographs that Changed the World"

A must see list by the way... http://tinyurl.com/yuzuj9

BettyGrable.jpgBettyGrableVerso.jpg
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

Very cool.

For anybody interested, the Rothstein character is featured prominently in the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire". It's set in 1920 and there have already been numerous references in the show relating to the Black Sox scandal.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Can anyone tell me how rare/scarce is an Arnold Rothstein autograph? I imagine pretty hard to come by.

Last edited by mr2686; 11-03-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Josh Margolin

Default 1969 Mets

Not so vintage, but today my boss brought in and gave me a complete copy of the New York Times from the day after the Mets won the series. Said his sons didn't really have any interest and wanted it to find a good home. Not a bad day at the office!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Thank you John Rogers for making the Sporting News Archive photos available to the hobby...I've been able to add two Lincoln Chiefs photos to my collection in the last few weeks...that's usually all I can add in two or three years.

And love that postcard story Moe...Black Sox collectors are fascinating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aljackson1957.jpg (36.9 KB, 714 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Unusual catcher/batter charm

I recently picked this item off of eBay on a whim. I have never seen anything like this before. It is marked Sterling on the back. Great detail work on the front.

Any thoughts?

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (77.6 KB, 691 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 11-03-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
John

Default Chiefs photo

Dan,
Is that Alvin Jackson?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Thank you John Rogers for making the Sporting News Archive photos available to the hobby...
I concur with Dan. Although it may take some committed search time but you will be rewarded with some really nice gems.

Picked up a pair of terrific Joltin Joe TYPE 1 Photos...

dimaggio56.jpgdimaggio56verso.jpg

dimaggioANDson.jpgdimaggioANDsonVERSO.jpg
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Dan,
Is that Alvin Jackson?
Why yes it is! He came to Lincoln in 1957 and had a great year in 1958 winning 18 games for the Chiefs.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Mike H.

Default Pinbacks

I've picked up a few nice pinbacks of late. The condition of each is exceptional.

The Bobby Brown is exceedingly rare and a really lucked into this piece at a bargain price. He was the NL MVP this year for the Braves when he won 14 games. He didn't win 14 more games in all the remaining years of his career. It is in absolutely choice shape

Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Something a little different...

I guess baseball is just coming to agreement on who actually designed the logo for Major League Baseball...so I figured now was a good time to pick this up. Jerry actually supplied me with the MLB Logo patch for which I'm really grateful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLB - Dior, Jerry.jpg (74.3 KB, 618 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's one I was happy to attain...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young.jpg (54.3 KB, 600 views)
Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Matt

Some new bats..
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Holy *#$! Mark...that's incredible. If you don't mind me asking, did you pick it up through private sale or an auction. A holy grail piece as far as tobacciana is concered. Congrats.

Mike
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Phil Garry

Just back from Beckett. This is the earliest item of Eddie Collins that I have able to pick up this far, a 1905 Columbia University Baseball Team Photo ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collins_Eddie_1905.jpg (73.7 KB, 525 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Holy *#$! Mark...that's incredible. If you don't mind me asking, did you pick it up through private sale or an auction. A holy grail piece as far as tobacciana is concered. Congrats.

Mike
Thanks Mike! It was through Heritage, which just closed on Friday. I really had my eye on a few other things, includiing Sparky Anderson's 1974 Jersey. But when he sadly passed the day prior to the auction's close, I knew that piece would exceed my limit.

The Cy Young Tin was still sitting there at a pretty low price, so I bid "last minute style" and luckily got it. I had checked the archives of the major auction houses, and found very few other examples. Based on those few prices realized, I believe I got it for a decent price
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Clint

Just got these in the mail. It's six covers only of the scorecards. I thought they were pretty neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cin1.jpg (78.9 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg cin2.jpg (78.7 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg cin3.jpg (78.7 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg cin4.jpg (79.1 KB, 527 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Matt

Clint
Those are awesome!
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Clint

Thanks Matt. Looks like you've been stacking up some nice lumber lately. Is that Ruth a professional or store model?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Nice pickups Clint...now let's see a pic of that silver trophy ball.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Picked this Hal Newhouser negative up on Sunday, and I'm a bit surprised there was no competition for it.

The man was a Hall of Famer, and the image is from '44, one of his MVP years. Either way, once it's cropped a little bit, it will make for a nice painting.

That is, if I ever have the time to do it.

Graig
Old 11-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Rookie era Munson gamer

Don't usually post anything on here but was lucky enough to find this in an antique mall this past weekend. I guess things like this still happen once in awhile!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg munson1.jpg (73.7 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg munson5.jpg (66.3 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg munson6.jpg (71.0 KB, 464 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:52 AM

Just picked up this rare eight frame sequential photo from 1948 showing Teddy Ballgame's sweet swing from start to finish. They called the camera the "Magic Eye" camera. Cutting edge and State of the Art at that time.

1948TedWilliamsSEQUENTIAL.jpg1948TedWilliamsSEQUENTIALverso.jpg
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Graig Kreindler

Clint, those scorecard covers are absolutely gorgeous. Designers and artists could really learn a thing or three from the people who produced those.

Jimmy, nice pick-up indeed. I remember seeing a magic eye panoramic print of a Jimmie Foxx home run at Fenway from 1938. I'm pretty sure it was shot by Arthur Griffin, the fella responsible for those beautiful color shots of Williams from his rookie year.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Shoeless Moe

I was planning on bidding a large amount on that Barrow Ball and totally forgot so you got lucky!

As a side note, Ed Barrow and Patrick Powers HATED each other and I read an account once about how they were still using Baseballs with Powers signature on them in a game (probably left over from the previous year) and Barrow found out and was SO PISSED because he hated Powers that he declared anyone using Baseballs that had Powers signature instead of his on a ball would forfeit the game.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Shoeless Moe

I was planning on bidding a large amount on that Barrow Ball and totally forgot so you got lucky!

As a side note, Ed Barrow and Patrick Powers HATED each other and I read an account once about how they were still using Baseballs with Powers signature on them in a game (probably left over from the previous year) and Barrow found out and was SO PISSED because he hated Powers that he declared anyone using Baseballs that had Powers signature instead of his on a ball would forfeit the game.
I did get very lucky, I was going to go to $300 on it, so if u would have gone over that it'd a been yours. Thanks for the info too, I love hearing those stories from that era. I am listening to a 15 hour book on tape called The Big Bam about Ruth on my way to & from work and it is very detailed, probably 3 hours so far and he's just now joining the Red Sox.

PS - The ball does feel slightly heavier then my 1923 AL Ball, is that the dead ball era or just my mind thinking that, nonetheless I love the staining on it, (stained from tobacco? used for spitballs?), the feel of it, everything.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Mike H.

Default New piece and request for help

Just picked up this bookend and love it! If anyone has a match, I would love to purchase or trade for it.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Brock

Congrats on the Cy Young tin Mark. That's an absolute show stopper. Amazing piece.

Mike, you sure are putting together a nice little collection of bookends. That one is a beauty.

Here a few of my recent additions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (64.3 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (72.2 KB, 452 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Kevin O'Gara

the munson gamer is a great pickup.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks much. Was just sitting in a barrel of bats along with a Torre gamer as well. The rest were store bats. How in got there, I have no idea.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Clint

Thanks Graig. There's nothing like early lithography. They really are pieces of artwork.

Here's the silver trophy ball Dan alluded to. I picked it up a few months back. It's dated 1875. Sorry for the poor pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000957.JPG (77.4 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg S5000960.JPG (75.2 KB, 445 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Now that is interesting...what does it say on it? I can see "Archer vs Phili...."
Old 11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Clint

Dan, it's Prize Ball Archer vs Phillip L Haniberry Score 24-0 Sept 2d 1875. I'm guessing it was some sort of challenge maybe by owners of competing businesses. I couldn't locate anything on either. Would love to know the story behind it.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
John

Default Prize Ball

Is there any indication of the game's location?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Clint

John, no I wish there was.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Default November pickups

Great pieces guys.
What is that Ty Cobb stand up piece; is that part of some sort of game or set? or a folk art piece?

Also, great looking trophy ball. Any idea if that piece could be restored? I had a similar dented reach trophy (where the ball on top was all dented), that I took to a silversmith. He told me to restore mine, he would cut it half, reshape both halves over a round mold, and then resilver back together. The restoration was too expensive for my piece, but perhaps for that awesome early trophy, it would be more suitable.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Just picked up this bookend and love it! If anyone has a match, I would love to purchase or trade for it.

Thanks
That's a great bookend. However, such an item should be in the sole possession of a book collector. Please send it along forthwith
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Mike H.

Max, I currently read at a 6th grade level...hence I only have one book end. This piece isn't worthy of your collection But I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Clint

Keith, I'm considering getting it repaired. Mike H gave me a place that I'm going to contact. If and when I get it repaired I'll post pictures.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default A couple pictures that I had to have...

I posted about the Boston Old Timers Game in another thread so you can see the history on that one but it came in the mail today. The Casey Stengel/Zach Wheat photo just got me...picked it up from John Rogers Archive...enjoy.
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Just picked up this terrific c. 1950's Jackie Robinson Milk Glass in Near Mint Condition.

1950sJackieRobinsonMilkGlass-1.jpg1950sJackieRobinsonMilkGlass-2.jpg
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Congrats Jimmy....

A beautiful and under-rated piece. You beat me out on that one last night Very glad it went to you!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 AM

My focus lately is more on selling than buying, but here a couple of fun pickups.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fame photo.jpg (45.8 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg Two pins.jpg (42.5 KB, 438 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Congrats Jimmy....

A beautiful and under-rated piece. You beat me out on that one last night Very glad it went to you!
Sorry to hear that Mark. You've got first dibs on their next auction!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM
John

Default Karl Kolseth - Zinn Beck bat

After all these years, this Kolseth bat has made it's way back to Columbia, S.C. Thanks Matt!
Can anyone show me a picture of Karl Kolseth? He had a cup of coffee in the Federal League in 1915. Otherwise he was a career minor-leaguer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kolseth2.jpg (77.2 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by John V; 11-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Jeff

Default 1914 Reach Catalog Mailing Envelope

Showed this in the Hunt's thread as well. Postmarked and mailed/addressed on the "back" side. It pictures many members of the A's championship team on it. Several HOFers on the top row.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."