NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 AM

Default 1918 Exhibition Game RPPCs and great article

(deleted)

Last edited by bijoem; 07-06-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Dave

That is neat as hell.

Hard to tell distance but it almost looks like those Model T's(?) are forming the outline of a baseball stadium. Probably not as worried about getting their cars dinged by a baseball back then.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Johnson exhibition pictures and story

Awsome Joe! What a great story- thanks!!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 AM

Default Great pick-up Joe!

Those photos are spectacular! And a terrific story to boot!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Jimmy M

I noticed those items as well at the show. Great pickup.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Nice pickup Joe...and a great story!

I'm reposting the story part so you don't have to scroll L-R to read:

MYSTERY GAME AGAINST OIL TEAM BARNEY'S WEIRD EXPERIENCE

By Walter Johnson.

Exhibition games serve two purposes - a little side money for major league ball players after the regular season, but more important it affords the fans, scattered around the country, a chance to see such fine players as Hornsby, Ruth, Cobb, Vance and the like.

I remember games years ago in which I played against two of baseball’s greatest pitchers – Christy Mathewson and Grover Alexander, and many of the people who looked on will perhaps never see another big league player in action. I have always felt that the people in the little towns are entitled to see the star players and for that reason I was glad when the barnstorming rule was so changed as to permit members of world series teams to play in exhibition games.

Until 1921, baseball law prohibited world series players from taking part in exhibition games. It was tat that time Babe Ruth went on tour and got in trouble with the baseball powers. The following year, the rule was rescinded and while Ruth may have shown poor judgment, at the same time it must be said that his actions brought about a change in the baseball law to the advantage of all players in the major leagues.

In fairness to Ruth, it should be mentioned that others have played in defiance of exhibition rules in bygone years. I remember a a game, in which I played one time at Kansas City and pitched against Grover Alexander. At that time the National Commission was the high power in baseball and had issued a strict ruling against barnstorming.

As the game had already been scheduled and advertised, the following players besides myself and Alexander felt obligated to make good with the public: Sisler, Hornsby, Lavan, Pratt, Baird, Snyder, Kilduff, Stengel, Zach Wheat and his brother, Mack. Most of these players met later in another game at Joplin, Missouri.

Seven years ago I played in the little town of Cleveland, Oklahoma, about sixty miles from my home, Coffeyville, Kansas. Cleveland was in the heart of the oilfields and money was plentiful. The promoters of the game phoned me several times and finally I consented to pitch. But they were so worried about me not showing up, that for one week every night at 6 o’clock, the phone would ring and here was the conversation:

“Well now, Johnson, can we really count on you for Sunday? We got it advertised and there’s thousands of dollars been bet.”

Each time I gave the same answer, “I’ll be there, my friend. Don’t worry, I’ll be there.”

The game was seven days away and exactly seven times we had the above conversation. On Saturday they drove to Coffeyville for me in a big automobile and late the same day we started the drive to Cleveland. At about 2 o’clock in the morning we pulled up at a farm house. It was still dark and just like night. A big fellow, six feet tall, appeared as the door. He was fully dressed and I learned, had remained up all night, to be on hand when we arrived.

“My woman’ll be givin’ you coffee any minute,” he said, and just then I got a glimpse of his wife, busy in the kitchen. As the clock struck 4 a.m. we sat down to breakfast, consisting of black coffee, old-fashioned mush and biscuits warmed over from the night before. After that all night ride in a motor car, the farmer’s breakfast tasted like a banquet.

The house was thirty miles outside of Cleveland and the two men, who were running the game, said I was to stay there until just before game time. The air of mystery interested me and several times when wagons passed along the road they cautioned me to stay out of sight.

Of course, I could see that I was supposed to be a surprise on the opposing team. After breakfast, the two men started talking about the game and one of them asked: “Johnson, how much have you bet on winning?”

“I never bet on a ball game in my life.” I told him: “and even if I had I certainly would never bet on a game when I was going to pitch.”

“Don’t you reckon a feller could pitch better when he’s got something on the game?” the oil man replied. I could see what was going on in the fellows’ minds. So I said: “You don’t need to fret about me pitching good ball. I’m going out there to win. I don’t need any betting.”

The men looked at each other as though surprised, but they seemed to feel I was telling the truth.

About noon one of them said he would be leaving for the ball park and I started to get in the car. But the air of mystery was still present as he said: “You wait here and come down with Jack just before game time.” Jack was the other man who had brought me from Coffeyville, and, as it developed, was one of the town’s ball players.

I protested: “You fellows don’t expect me to go in and pitch without warming up do you?” With that it was decided to drive on to Jack’s house, located on a hill about a mile from the ball park. I was to remain in hiding, and it was arranged that upon the waving of a red handkerchief, Jack would drive me to the ball park and the game would start.

About 2 o’clock we went out into the chicken yard at Jack’s place, where I warmed up for twenty minutes. Jack was a fair sort of a catcher. Pretty soon we got the handkerchief signal and started for the park – if you could call it a park.

The opposing team was Olton and I struck out the first two batters. The next man got a scratch single and finally scored a run. No one seemed to recognize me and the manager and players kept up a continued bombardment of wise cracks. I was called everything from a “Kansas rube” to a “bushleague boob.” I was throwing my fast ball all the time and one of their players remarked “We’ll take the steam out of this guy’s arms.” But as it turned out, my team won 9 to 1.

About the fifth inning a stranger stepped out of the crowd and grabbed my hand. He was too well dressed to be a native and I was not much surprised when he called my name. “Well if it isn’t Walter Johnson himself.” He said, loud enough for many people to hear. And to many of them I imagine it meant nothing more than any other name. But to the manager and the players of Oilton, it caused surprise and they were all apology for the kidding they had given me. I saw the humor of the situation and told them it was alright and that I understood.

After the next inning, the Oilton manager asked if I would pitch for him on the following Sunday to which I agreed.

“Who are you going to play,” I wanted to know. And he replied, “I’ll tell you pretty soon.” After the game he told me it would be against the very club for which I was pitching that day. As soon as I had agreed to pitch, he rushed over and challenged the Cleveland manager for a return match, not mentioning his deal with me. It was a pretty foxy piece of work but I stuck to my agreement and beat Cleveland the following Sunday, 1 to 0.

(copyright. 1925 by the Christy)

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Walter Johnson Photo

One of the joys of being a dealer in vintage memorabilia is to have and enjoy things for awhile, then sell them to someone who also appreciates them and make a little money doing it. That photo sat prominently in my display all day Friday and most of Saturday, and nobody even asked about it. I had taken the trouble to copy that article and looked forward to talking to people about it and telling them the story. As I said at the time, you've got a good eye and good taste, Joe! And for those who like to disparage the few vintage shows remaining instead of supporting them so they won't disappear altogether, how bad could a show be that has items like this waiting for someone to come along and discover them?
Hank Thomas
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM

Hank -
I look forward to visiting your table every time I head to shows. And I thank you for that. I will see you at the National!

For those of you who don't know Hank, or have not stopped by his table.... I urge you to stop by his table and get to know him.

You would be hard pressed to find a nicer person, he always has cool stuff available to purchase, pricing is fair, and the conversations are great.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
John Hanssen

Default Thanks for sharing

Great piece of BB history on both - Thanks for the see-an-read
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Default Hank Thomas- Walter Johnson

Also for those who don't know Hank Thomas, he is the grandson of Walter Johnson and the author of the book "Walter Johnson- Baseball's Big Train". This is the definitive book on Johnson and a great read. I couldn't put it down. As stated before, Hank is a great guy and make a point of saying hello to him at the National this year if you attend.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Clint

Joe, great item and story. That's the kind of memorabilia up my alley. I have a few different Walter Johnson rppcs from similar games in Kansas. Lucky for me that game was in Oklahoma or I'd be going crazy.

Clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wjab.jpg (26.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Clint -

did I type Oklahoma? I meant to type Kansas.