NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default SCD grading service

Posted By: Damian Anderson

Can anyone give their opinion on SCD grading service? I recall at one time the were considered reputable. Are they still in business? Any first hand experience either positive or negative? Thanks!

Damian

Old 07-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Rousseau

I asked this myself a few weeks ago and some folks responded that SCD stopped their grading business about a year ago, but they are generally are well regarded. Posters said their SCD graded cards tend to transfer over to the "Big 3" grading companies at the same grade, or sometimes even to a slightly better grade.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I used to search for SCD graded cards on ebay because typically (in my opinion) they seemed to grade a little tougher than the other services. I'm sure there will probably be a few dissenting opinions on this but that's mine.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I have found SCD to be a pretty good grader (when they were in business), albeit they might be considered a bit easy on centering. However, beware as I believe there is a new company grading cards under the SCD moniker and I do not think they have any affiliation to the original.

Adam B

Old 07-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I think SCD grading was bought by some modern card dealers and the are slabbing the material currently.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The new company has the same acronym (SCD) but the letters do not stand for 'Sports Collectors Digest.' Not sure what is the new full name, but it's something different. As the full name is on the label, collectors can tell which is which.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

The labels for the new SCD holders look very similar to those of the old SCD. Other than the name displayed within the circle ("Sports Card Direct") and the fact the circle isn't red, the design lon the new SCD's labels looks identical to that of Sports Collecting Digest's labels. I guess the new owners purchased the rights to everything except the name (since the publication lives on) because they continue to use the trademarked phrase "Authentic," complete with the little checkmark over the "I" and continue to use the phrase, "Grading and Authetication Service."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219800934&category=28085&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5218252524&category=16287&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Old 07-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

So how long before that first auction gets shut down for using "not PSA"?

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

http://scdgrading.com/index.htm

Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

the SCD grading service equipment and materials were sold lock, stock and barrel to this unrelated outfit that is apparently going on with a very similar logo and label. I am sure it will confuse many. SCD made it clear in their mag that they have nothing to do with it. Since their web site does not appear to explain who they are, I have emailed them with the question. Does anyone out there know who is behind this service?

Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: WP

They sound like they are serious after reading their website, unlimited capital to operate is impressive.