NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Ken Goldin

Default RIP Mike Berkus

I am sad to report Mike Berkus died last night as a result of brain cancer. I know he needs no introduction to the members here. Mike co founded the Narional Sports Collectors Convention and was a hobby pioneer. I had the pleasure of having Mike work for me as my executive Vice President for two years in the mid 1990s and learned a lot from him . Atlantic City will be an empty place without him this National. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. The hobby lost a. True legend and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him personally lost a true friend and great guy to be around . RIP Mike

Last edited by kengoldin; 11-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Bruce Babcock

Wow, I'm shocked to hear this bad news. I knew Mike only a little, mostly in the 1980s, when I set up at a couple of his shows. Condolences to his family & friends.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:55 PM
qualitycards

Sorry to hear this
Old 11-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: RIP Mike Berkus

Shocking, indeed. He seemed to be in good health and good spirits at this year's National. RIP.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Sad indeed
Old 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow. I'm floored. He was as integral to the growth of the hobby as anyone.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My heart just dropped to my stomach. Very, very sad to hear this. Mike was a huge supporter of the hobby and of Net54baseball. I will miss him and his speeches at our dinners. Thanks for everything Mike, Rest in Peace my friend.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Mike was one of the group of three that initiated the concept of the NSCC in 1980. RIP Mike.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 AM

I am shocked Mike was a great person
Old 11-22-2015, 01:17 AM
Dave Foster

Damn! What a punch to the gut. I met him a few times around '78 at a monthly Fri. nite card show at a bowling alley in El Cajon. He and two other guys from LA, Gavin and Steve, last names I forget, always came down for the show. 37 years later, I still recall how personable, informative, friendly and knowledgeable he was. Folks at the shows would just swarm him to pick his brain about cards. Never a complaint. Such an incredible loss. Condolences to his family.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Steve Brunner & Gavin Riley.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Mark Macrae

Very disturbing to hear.Mike covered all facets of the hobby..collector, exhibitor and promoter. As busy as he was at the National, he would make time to talk to many attendees, including myself, every year. His numerous contributions to the hobby and National Convention will be missed. My condolences to his family.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 AM
John

If I remember right, reading Baseball Hobby News by the Barning's he was one of the founding three of the National Convention's start.

John
Old 11-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

RIP, Mike, you will be both missed and remembered.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Rich Klein

He was one of the National's founders
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Mike Berkus

This is very, very sad news. I was stunned when I heard this.

Mike's contribution to the growth of this hobby is enormous.

GOD Bless Mike's soul....and, may GOD Bless and comfort his family and friends.

TED Z
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I too am shocked...I knew Mike a little bit from the '80s show circuit in California and later at the Nationals. Always a great guy who took the time to chat with collectors and dealers alike. My thoughts to his family and friends.

Joshua
Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My heart just dropped to my stomach. Very, very sad to hear this. Mike was a huge supporter of the hobby and of Net54baseball. I will miss him and his speeches at our dinners. Thanks for everything Mike, Rest in Peace my friend.
Really, really sad!

Larry
Old 11-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Rhett Yeakley

This is a really depressing thing to hear. Mike seemed like a really passionate guy about cards and I enjoyed hearing his stories at the National dinner.

I wonder what this means for the future of the National Convention?

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Bob McLean

I too am sorry to hear of the loss of Mike Berkus. He has been a fixture at the National. I saw him walk by at this year's National and thought how dapper he looked and what an excellent representative he was for the hobby. Sad to think he is now gone.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:23 AM

Default Mike Berkus

This is very sad news. I first met Mike in 1981 at the Plymouth National- and later served with him on the National Board in the late 80's and early 90's. Most recently as a national board member - I have worked with Mike as his company has run the day to day operations of the show for many years.
He was always "an idea guy" who had great vision for the National Convention and a personality and likeability to move an idea forward to implementation. He truly loved the National and always kept the dealers first. He once told me "the dealers will always be in the front of the room as long as I am associated with this show". And they still are.
He was an extremely entertaining guy with a good sense of humor. He had the ability to communicate a story like few people I have ever met. He could light up a room with his smile and his charm. He had a lot of integrity- If he told me he was going to do something - he did it. If he made a promise to me- he kept it.
I'll miss him- and I know everyone associated with the National will miss him to. Guys like Mike Berkus are not replaced- they can only be remembered.

Rest in Peace My friend-

Kevin Savage
Old 05-19-2016, 12:24 AM

There is no question that Mike was a visionary in this hobby who not only saw the "Big Picture," but often created it as well. As far as the shows and collector's meetings and such in the L.A. - San Diego pipeline in the mid- 1970's, it was amazing how many collectors showed up in the bowling alley in El Cajon (Parkway Bowl ), a classroom at some elementary school near Mission Viejo, and other out-of-the-way places. In the interest of not rewriting history, the framework of what eventually became The National
was in place a little before Mike's involvement thanks in large part to the efforts of the L.A. guys --- Gavin Riley, Steve Brunner, and Jim Nowell. Soon thereafter, Mike became involved and was a master at glitzing the hobby up, leading to nationwide recognition . RIP Mike