NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Crossing CJ 15s

I know there have been posts about this in past but I have a specific question at t he higher end: Does anyone have experience trying to cross a CJ 15 SGC 88 to a PSA 8? I have one that looks for all the world like an SGC 9 but I know PSA seems tougher on high end CJs. I don't want to waste my time but the card would be worth literally twice as much as a PSA 8.......

In an related sphere, there was a very nice PSA 8 Merkle (none higher) in this week's Goodwin that went for what I considered a "low" price. I was scared away a bit by the tilted cut (it was basically centered but with pretty strong tilt) and maybe others were, too. Is that indeed a good reason for cut in value?

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1448140507
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaiserling CJ.jpg (27.4 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by GregMitch34; 11-21-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM
je.sse @rnot

I don't know much about the high end CJ market or crossing high grade cards. As to your second question though off center and tilted cards in general have taken a hit, and collectors have been paying big premiums for centered cards. At least on the auctions I have watched. It seems the more expensive the card the more this is true.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If you submit it enough it will probably get the grade you want. I have heard it works fairly well.

Last edited by Leon; 11-22-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Greg Mitchell

You mean submit more than once?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Crack and submit over and over and over. Eventually they will give you the grade you want. I hear it's an industry in and of itself.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Yes it is a PSA thing. Doesn't work with SGC because they are too consistent with their grades.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Greg Mitchell

Leon, are you saying that if you submit in the SGC case without cracking it out there is no chance they will match it?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, are you saying that if you submit in the SGC case without cracking it out there is no chance they will match it?
No, I am only saying that at the high end of registry games it is a crack and resubmit industry and the TPG's do well. I have heard TPG's are much more critical of cards in competitors holders so they are normally cracked out when resubmitted. I have only resubmitted around a handful of cards as I don't play the registry game. That being said if someone gets some low pop number to be lower pop with a higher grade, they have probably made a lot of money. Again, not a game I play but there are those that do. It doesn't bother me. Grading is subjective. It is what it is.

Last edited by Leon; 11-23-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Greg Mitchell

I've almost never done myself and always just looking for SAME grade not upgrade when going SGC to PSA. As you know, increasingly--didn't seem to be such a big deal before--there's big gap in value, unfortunately, between PSA and SGC on many cards...
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

[QUOTE=GregMitch34;1475135]I've almost never done myself and always just looking for SAME grade not upgrade when going SGC to PSA. As you know, increasingly--didn't seem to be such a big deal before--there's big gap in value, unfortunately, between PSA and SGC on many cards...[/QUOTE

if that's holds to be true in the difference in value..i just don't see how sgc will survive..people sell their cards eventually..if they are getting 2x more value on the psa card fo the same grade of the sgc...and people like you try to cross over....I just don't see all this arguing about sgc being sustainable over time that I get here on this board...cracker jacks are prewar..and everyone keeps telling me sgc is better for prewar yet this thread is evidence that prewar is a threat against sgc as well in favor of psa.......maybe for the less than 100 dollar cards nobody cares about the holder and I not really addressing those cards..

even if not in the flip or registry game I just don't see how this discrepancy in price can be ignored....
Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Greg Mitchell

To date the discrepancy has not been so severe as now...and you can justifiably argue that in judging value you go on what you paid and what it now seems to be worth. If you buy a PSA card for $800 and the same SGC card for 500 and you need to sell and just want you money back you will probably get about what you paid--and the fact that SGC is 300 less doesn't matter. The only problem is if the SGC value is actually decreasing over time so you do NOT get your money back. I'll leave to others whether they think that is in fact happening now or simply that PSA prices are generally rising so it makes SGC look weak even if holding steady.....
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Greg,

I have submitted hundreds of cards in the past few years (maybe over a thousand! ugh!) and my personal experience is that to send them in other TPG holders when sending to TPGs is not a good idea. I have never had good success with this so I just send them in Raw or broken out of the other TPG case. In your case with such a high dollar and beautiful card, it would be a very risky crapshoot. That card is beautiful in its present holder. I would leave it but that is your call of course.

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 11-22-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Greg Mitchell

So you're saying that the other grading company will rarely even MATCH the original company? I can see the issues in upgrading a rival but I don't see why they can't simply match...
Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Dave_Berg

Sometimes a wonder if this is really going on when TPGs grade other companies cards
image.jpg

Last edited by Stonepony; 11-22-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:47 PM
A.J. Johnson

Never send a sgc CJ card to psa for "crossover". Always better to crack and submit. I've tried multiple times both ways and results always better by cracking.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Exactly....

Quote:
So you're saying that the other grading company will rarely even MATCH the original company? I can see the issues in upgrading a rival but I don't see why they can't simply match...
I'm not saying it has not happened.......it has......BUT for the majority of the times I have tried this, I got burned so......NEVER again!

I send everything Raw now.

Mike
Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Crack and submit over and over and over. Eventually they will give you the grade you want. I hear it's an industry in and of itself.

That's what the coin industry turned into 15 years ago. Some high dollar coins get submitted 20-30-40 times for a 1 point bump.

They even have consulting services to evaluate collections for upgrades.

Not to mention, auction houses will also evaluate high dollar coins and have consigners resubmit to maximize profits for everyone.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Greg Mitchell

Not to be dumb, but if you submit an SGC "8" to PSA can you say you will take no less than an 8, or can they ship back to you as a 6 to 7?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:57 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Not to be dumb, but if you submit an SGC "8" to PSA can you say you will take no less than an 8, or can they ship back to you as a 6 to 7?
yeah you can request a minimum grade for it to be slabbed by PSA when submitting an SGC card
Old 11-22-2015, 05:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
my experience is they rarely match as well...when I buy a SGC card I pay what the PSA card would go for 1 grade lower than the SGC I am looking to buy but many sellers still hang on quoting PSA prices of the same grade ...
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default .....

Quote:
Greg,

Like Jake said, if you do send it in the SGC holder, you MUST tell them min 8 and also spell it out in your comments: "Do not break this out unless it grades a PSA 8 or higher"

This would give me peace of mind. If you do this however, be prepared to get your SGC card back. IMO.

Peace, Mike

PS Actually since this is bothering you so much, why not just sell me the card and be done with it!?!?!?

Last edited by vthobby; 11-22-2015 at 06:33 PM.