NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: My feelings on eBay - I have quit, stopped using, came back, etc and why?
Costs/Fees 9 10.34%
Unfair Seller rules/requirements 11 12.64%
Unjustified negative feedback 3 3.45%
Poor results/low ROI 2 2.30%
Customer Service issues 5 5.75%
Too many fraudulet items/Sellers 5 5.75%
New requirements on return policy (especially for graded cards) 6 6.90%
I am still on eBay - don't like them, but feel I have no alternatives 41 47.13%
I quit/stopped using eBay but came back 3 3.45%
I like eBay, no issues w/them at all 33 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Who has quit and/or come back to eBay?

Curious how many of you have avoided, stopped using, flat-out quit, or quit and come back to eBay and your reasons why..?

I'm still on (Edwolf1963), have 100% feedback - but they always seem to make it harder to do business with them. Basic Customer Service issues or questions in the last year where I get to most dense/daft people or ridiculous responses to basic questions. Latest "good news" email is bcse even though I've sold $11K of cards through them, I only have 93 transactions and I need 100 to hold my "Top Rated Seller" status, so I'm being downgraded. Nothing horrendous - they just always find a way to put a bad taste in my mouth. to a degree, it's like dealing with the DMV or some other Gov't Service outfit, you feel like you do bcse you have to/there's no other alternatives.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM
octavio ranzola

Default hi ed

this is why we have net 54 no crap here just nice people i also hate ebay with all the stupid rules omg.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Another vote for B/S/T. Good folks and good service.

Hopefully they wont increase the fees.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM

We use eBay because of the audience available for items. However, we often times sell cards through forums before we list them. It is indeed a flawed system, but our theory is more eyes/customers equals more sales.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Who has quit and/or come back to eBay?

I stopped selling on Ebay when they instituted the electronic payments rule, but I continue to buy occasionally.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Ebay rules!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
JEFF VER.RIER

Post / opinion no longer available

Last edited by JEFFV96MASTERS; 09-14-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Mark Fox

I only buy on Ebay, I no longer sell. I've never sold cards or memorabilia on Ebay, I did not get back into the hobby until after gave up selling on Ebay. Well, to be more accurate I was banned from Paypal and gave up selling on Ebay.

I was scammed out of nearly $300 in Penguins playoff tickets by an Ebay user. He purchased playoff tickets from me through Ebay and paid via Paypal. But he was local and since he completed the sale the day before the game, asked if we could meet up to get the tickets. Since he had paid via Paypal and the money was in my account I agreed. The gentleman picked up the tickets. 7 days later he filed a complaint claming he did not receive the tickets. Since we met locally I had no proof of shipment or proof of delivery that Paypal required of me. Our email history back and forth were not substatial enough for Paypal to rule in my favor. Paypal then debited my account for $300...all the while this gentleman got my tickets, WENT to the game I'm sure...and got refunded $300 for his troubles. Since I refused to settle my Paypal account, they closed the account. When I tried to signup for a new account, I was informed that "Paypal wishes to sever all business ties with me" and that I would never be welcomed back to Paypal and would never again be allowed to have a Paypal account.

I have since found a couple other very viable options for collecting credit card payments for Ebay auctions through merchant accounts, so if I ever get back to selling on Ebay I will utilize those services and obviously not Paypal.

I am still however able to process a credit card payment through Paypal for Ebay acutions I win/buy since that does not require an actual Paypal account.

Last edited by markf31; 09-26-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 AM

I've taken extended breaks from ebay for a variety of reasons, including it's not worth the bother, rules, fees, etc. Though I've always returned after a while.

eBay has its good and its bad. I also view that it's my choice to use it, so don't gripe about the fees.

Last edited by drc; 09-26-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Barry Sloate

I don't think ebay is as bad as most people say it is- there is still no way to get a larger audience to look at your items- but it is not nearly as good as it once was. And the seller fees are too high. Still a good place to buy if you know how to avoid bad sellers.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM

I very rarely sell, usually buy, very few issues either way over the last 10 years.

It is essentially a monopoly however, someone with the capital and business savvy could give them some legit competition.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:04 PM

I also never sell on EBay, only buy. I've haven't had many problems - about the same amount that you might have dealing with people in person. Most sellers have been great to deal with and I appreciate the convenience of buying online. Still, you have to be careful and not talk yourself into ignoring the red flags.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I backed off on selling from ebay around the time they instituted the Paypal rule, have sold very little since then. Still use it to buy on occasion. My answer to the ebay "problem", Buy an auction site. :-)

Lee Behrens
Sterling Sports Auctions
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Default eBay greed

eBay was once a great venue for buying. They simply got greedy. After years of buying I received an email stating I was about to reach my $10,000 sending limit. In order to continue using PayPal, they gave me two options. They wanted me to use their credit card or link my checking account to my PayPal account. They gave a lame accuse that they were doing this for safety reasons. Nice to know my account wasn't safe after using it without a problem for many years.

So now I buy very little on eBay unless the seller accepts United States Postal Money Orders. I have had several sellers email me recently that eBay has told them to only accept PayPal.

Patrick
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default I buy and sell on eBay

I flip post-war cards to build my pre-war collection, so I spend a lot of time buying and selling on eBay. To me eBay is streaky. I will go several weeks without buying anything and then I will find three or four great deals on the same day. Sometimes I take a risk and pay to much for an item; so the best strategy is to be patient and wait for the good deal. The few times that a seller tried to scam me, eBay stood behind me and got my money back. Overall eBay is still a great place to buy cards.

Selling on eBay is another matter. I always start my auctions at .99 with no reserve. Not many sellers do that anymore. I usually know about what my items will sell for, but sometimes I'm surprised. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but it all averages out.

If it wasn't for eBay I wouldn't have a collection, so I can't say anything bad about them.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default ebay

Where else can you go..morn, noon, or night..and in 30 seconds..find that tough to find/rare/scarce card..,being auctioned off by a half dozen diff sellers
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Ken McMillan

I think it is rediculous that eBay is taking a percentage of your shipping charges. As a seller, you try to keep shipping charges reasonable for buyers, but it becomes rather difficult when eBay starts taking a percentage. You have to factor that in when deciding what to charge for shipping and handling. Just my thoughts .