NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Can the little guys ever win in Mastro?

Posted By: David Vargha

Did we ever come to a consensus about MastroNet or do we have to wait until tonight?

Old 08-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

David, I'll let you know Saturday morning how this "good old boy collector" did. There seems to always be a feeding frenzy in Mastro auctions which strikes on Friday afternoons so I am cautiously optimistic.

Old 08-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Nice to know you think my arguments have "absolutely no merit" whatsover. I wish I could be so obtuse and have the clarity of thinking that would enable me to be 100% right all the time, must be a great feeling.

Old 08-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Montoya

on a tangeant, It seemed to me that statements like "WORK OR STARVE" didn't leave much allowance for folks like me.Might I add that I have always voted Republican, even in my current circumstances.
LC

Old 08-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

TBob, while I do question how many homeless children there are (and will admit I don't have a number to offer up). That hardly means that there is a correlation to whether I or anyone else that questions the number believe the Holocaust happened. It did.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...Ganj...er' Peace-Pipe! Jeez, Elliot! Must I ALWAYS have to be the friggin' (regis.Tm T-Bob) peacemaker around here!

Old 08-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Administrator

...liven up the debate since we're discussing Right and Left Wingers!

Old 08-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

There are a couple of things to keep in mind about those who lost money in Enron's 401K. First, most of them chose (of their own volition) to place all of their assets into one stock. Certainly the corporate leaders gave them reason to believe the company was going to continue to grow. But lets face it - adults have to act like adults. I've made bad investment choices before, and I've lived and learned. I don't expect the government to repay my lost investments - the fact that people risked it all on one stock shouldn't entitle them to any special benefits. For those who are in bad financial shape, they should turn to their families first and to charities second. For most it means that they might have to continue working for several years longer than they planned, thats part of life.

The second thing to keep in mind is that the amount that people say they lost is entirely predicated on the runup of Enron stock. Their returns were enormous - some that only invested 40-50,000 in their 401K had returns approaching 900,000. Now when their totals hit 750,000 did they decide to diversify - no, they expected they'd double their money soon and stayed. The great thing about this country is that your allowed to fail and there is no limit to the number of times you can try again. Freedom isn't security and I for one don't ever want it to be.

I would add that I hope and expect the corporate officers who promoted AND KNEW about the fraud to be prosecuted, jailed and fined. But I don't support in any way the government providing money to those who willingly invested their life savings in Enron stock. The individuals that I truely feel bad for are those employees that were with Enron when it was a true pipeline company - but I'm guessing that many if not most of those folks were a bit more practical than the traders that became the typical Enron employee.

Old 08-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

full circle Doc...........you have snatched the pebble......or pebbled the snatch.......whichever......you were the villain and now you're moving to Gandhi-like stature........

I think we should start a thread about abortion........

Old 08-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

there will be people screwing people out of what they should have--if the rich have it, if the government has it, if there's a revolution and the poor become rich--someone will always be getting screwed by someone who is TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE STATS QUO to line their own nests.
But how can you read Chuck Montoya's story and say that nobody deserves a free handout sometime? How?

Scott Brocklehurst: it was some monsense about the Black Sox--you probably mentioned one Black Sox card, and I jumped all over you with Black Sox expecting enthusiasm....sorry.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

on all counts.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Is that really what you think I said? If so, you obviously didn't read my post and there's no need for further comment. This argument is getting repetitive anyway. Let's talk about cards.

Sorry for the lapse, Sir Ryan, official spokesperson for the state of Colorado.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: LargeCharles

that those Enron employees, as I ,paid money into the very system set in place specifically for unfortunate circumstances. I gave my money to S.S.because it was supposed to be insurance for my future in case of tragedy. I considered myself fortunate , knowing at the time of my disability that because I paid into this system and had never in my adult life collected unemployment,welfare or taken advantage of any of the other govt. services, that just maybe,I would be looked at as a model citizen who should be able now to count on what the govt. promises. Instead,I get red tape and the govt. spends more on lawyers and court cost than they would have spent helping me. I know that there are those that will never agree with me regardless of party affiliation. I am so happy for you Scott that in the period in which you were homeless and jobless that you weren't permanantly injured because with your views, certainly you would never ask for help from the Govt., therefore may have died hungry and homeless and not been here to share your views today.You truly are blessed!
Peace,
LC

Old 08-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

You cold beat the hell out of me with a baby seal and I still wouldn't discuss that topic.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Administrator

...please, refer me to the post. If it was me, I apologize, as it is not at all what I believe.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

three posts in a row,scott are you replying to your own comments?

Old 08-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

i think he is, john

Old 08-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charles Montoya

in any way I have offended anyone here. I should have never slathered this board with my personal experience or views concerning anything other than baseball cards.
That's what I came here for. I want to learn as much as I can about this hobby. You people have the knowledge I seek. I certainly have not done much here to make myself welcome. It was never my intention to come here and discuss my personal life and I got caught up in something that I have very strong feelings about and I allowed those feelings to overide my primary purpous for being here. I hope that I have not excluded myself by my behavior, from enjoying and hopefully becoming a respected member of this forum.I will do my best in the future to act like the man I believe myself to be.Thank you for your time and God Bless.
LC

Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

ALWAYS welcome here Chuck..............we do tend to stray from time to time. Nothing wrong with adding your 2c worth.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Administrator

...as I promised the self-appointed spokesperson for the political black hole of Colorado, no more politics.

Old 08-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Status reports anyone? Any early projected winners? Exit polls showing any one getting any bargains?

Old 08-24-2002, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

George Carlin has it right. The death penalty is applied to the wrong crime. Murder is a crime of passion and no one committing the crime is thinking that they may also lose thier lives.

On the other hand, start whacking a few of the big shot executives and watch white collar crime come to a screaching halt. Their crimes are a long drawn out process with no hope for a temporary insanity plea.

Look at the Enron guy that just rolled. Paid a $12M fine and still has a few mil left over. I'll do a few years in prison for a few million dollars. But sure wouldn't risk my life for it.

Jay

Old 08-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Administrator

..is inversely proportionate to your net worth! If you have enough $$$$, the judicial system owes YOU time!!!

Old 08-24-2002, 07:35 PM
Administrator

and so on. If you need it bad enough, you can always work for it, etc. The fact is, sometimes you need it really bad, and you CAN'T work for it.

Old 08-24-2002, 08:11 PM
Administrator

whether people ever need support from outside sourses when they are poor, or can every poor person become a rich one just with a little effort?

Mastro: dropped out both nights. When I found out that you don't need to Win, just bid, to get the free catalogues. See, I didn't have enough money to bid on anything I really wanted badly, so I was just as glad to quit when i did. I actually asked the phone person whether i had to win to keep getting catalogues, and she checked and told me no.

Also asked (and was switched to Philadelphia) why my Harper's woodcut of "Champion Baseball Players--1885" was in b+w, and Mastro's was colorized. Some very important person told me that people often had them cut from the magazine, tinted, and framed for their walls-as indeed, the Mastro one already is. He was very nice, nd he's also very important--but I can't remember his name.