NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Default Annoying card things

It has been a long week and I need to get these things off my chest. Here goes...

Reading a PSA article where cards are referred to as "pasteboards".

Finishing a set only to find out, upon auditing, I'm still one card away from completion.

Receiving cards in regular #10 envelopes.

My wife thinking that buying a new $500 dress is the "fair-is-fair" equivalent to me buying an 1888 Goodwin Champions Bob Caruthers last month. Two words: resale value.

My wife taking the resale value argument to the next level and only wants Louis Vuitton items now.

I feel better.
Scott
Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Two years ago I went from Dooney to Vuitton for her, I know the feeling 3 purses and wallets later. They are approaching my Jos Hall Cabinet value....

Old 05-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Wives and cards..... My son had his bar mitzvah last fall, and of course my wife needed a dress equal to the occasion (and the shoes to go with the dress). Bottom line, her beautiful red dress and fancy shoes could have gotten me 75% of the hammer price on the red Cobb blank back in heritage last night! Of course, she thinks cards are dumb and doesn't understand how I can spend so much on them, but to her, her dress and shoes were well worth it and, indeed, obligatory (even though my cards can be resold and her dress will likely never be worn again). Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!
Old 05-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!
Amen, brother!
Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Alas, I'd rather have the wife than the cards - happy wife, happy life!

Well, let's see: I know a wife will throw out your old cards without much drama, but, to get rid of an old girlfriend...that's in a different league.

Cards know when to shut up.

Wives can sometimes cook a good meal.

You can let your friends handle your cards.

Wives can give good back rubs.

Cards are ruined if they get wet.

Wives do not like to be grouped together by age, let alone condition.

Cards are happy just to be put away someplace safe.

Wives may insist on 'salmon' colors for that 'someplace safe'.

You can donate your cards and get tax credit for them.

Wives don't like it when you attempt to donate them.

Cards can be handed down to your children and grandchildren, none of whom will appreciate them as much as you do.

...Hey...finally, that's true with wives as well.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM

The single life..........all of the fun you guys have without the headaches and attachments.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I'd rather have the wife than the cards.
Anyone remember the first time you revealed your hobby to the future spouse? Kind of like admitting to a mental illness. I always thought I'd not get the wife because of the cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Two years ago I went from Dooney to Vuitton for her, I know the feeling 3 purses and wallets later. They are approaching my Jos Hall Cabinet value....

A few months ago I tried to get my wife to buy a purse that she was drooling over and I knew she loved. It was $90.00 and she just wouldn't do it. In her words: "I do love it but $90 is a ridiculous waste of money for a purse".

Yes, I know I've got it good!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
A few months ago I tried to get my wife to buy a purse that she was drooling over and I knew she loved. It was $90.00 and she just wouldn't do it. In her words: "I do love it but $90 is a ridiculous waste of money for a purse".

Yes, I know I've got it good!
Here's where you take over, pal. Buy her the purse on the sly. When it comes, hand it to her with a hug, look deep into her eyes, and tell her, "Darling, because you're well worth this $90 purse, and a whole lot more." A wife needs to feel cherished from time to time. She might cry with joy, and that is quite all right. Regardless, she will remember your loving gift for the rest of her life.

Do it, brother, and I wish you two the very best. ---Brian Powell
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post

Reading a PSA article where cards are referred to as "pasteboards".
I talked to that writer last year for an SMR article, and I begged him to stop using that term and he told me he would, since someone else told him the same thing. I guess he won't listen.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I talked to that writer last year for an SMR article, and I begged him to stop using that term and he told me he would, since someone else told him the same thing. I guess he won't listen.

I was reading an article on the 1952 Berk Ross set and I think it was a few years old. Thank you for trying to stop the madness. I think I hate "pasteboard" as much as the word "moist" now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaidly View Post
Receiving cards in regular #10 envelopes.
I feel your pain. Received an envelope this morning with the end slit open and my cards stolen. I contacted the member (from another website) and he informed me that this isn't the first time he has had cards stolen that he mailed out. I can't blame him for someone else's actions, but it is frustrating.

He is a stand up guy though and wants to make things right and has offered to reimburse me.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 PM

Thought I would chime in and point out that there is nothing worse than "moist pasteboard". If I hear that phrase again I will self-incriminate my own self with a selfie stick.

Brian (I'm sorry, it must be raining, which would likely explain the fluid sloshing around in my brain)
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Modifiers preceding the word "rare" in descriptions. Rare is rare; very rare, extremely rare, etc are nonsense.

Sellers who put "rare" in every auction title.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-13-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yeah let's agree to retired "pasteboard". Today.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Modifiers preceding the word "rare" in descriptions. Rare is rare; very rare, extremely rare, etc are nonsense.
Adam, IMO, even more nonsensical are the descriptions that state, "very unique."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Also quite tired of " . . . rarer than a _____". We get it. Something are very rare, yet there is little demand for them.