NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default Consignment Houses - I'm torn...

Posted By: Kyle

Hi Everyone,

I'm torn between who to consign the pictured card to. MastroNet is a big house but charged 15%, Lelands will charge 0%, Robert Edwards 10%. Obvious choice is Lelands 0% offer, but I can't decide who to choose. Has anyone else consigned an item recently through and of the houses mentioned and had success?

Thanks!

(PS... I recall a thread earlier on this, but I was unable to find it while searching posts.)

Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Kress

I'd rather use eBay for that card

Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I think ebay is the best bet for that card. If you have your heart on consigning I think all of the will give results.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Smith

I'd have to go with the other guys. Ebay will definately get more looks and probably more bids (and a higher price).
I forgot to add... it won't cost you that much in fees to sell it on Ebay.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I will preface this with admitting that I do not know a lot about strip cards. But I would go with Mastronet or REA on a high-end Ruth card. There are collectors of high-end stuff that do not prowl ebay, but they absolutely do not miss a Mastro or REA auction.
JimB

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Quick question for those who have consigned items before. Is it really typical to have to wait 45 days to be paid? I was quoted 45 days for payment by Mastro, which puts their April auction ending in almost May, depending on length, and a check coming in June... is that really how these houses work?

Old 01-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I'd put a price on it and place it in an ebay store, or a fixed price listing on ebay. If it doesn't get any interest after a few weeks you can decide whether to auction it (with a reserve or not) or consign it. If you are set on consigning it go with either REA or Mastro, but realize the REA deadline for consignments is either close or has just passed, and he only does 1 auction a year right now.
Ebay gives you a lot more advantages- you can set the price, and you don't take the risk of going head to head with a similar item, although that is unlikely in this case.
45 days after the auction closes sounds pretty reasonable, it takes them up to a month to get paid. You have to have your item in a few months ahead of time in order to make the catalog deadline, so I'm guess you're talking about 3-5 months all told from shipment to payment. Ebay looking better all the time?

Edited to add- have you considered Bill Goodwin's auctions? You won't get lost in a huge shuffle, the catalog has good distribution, and from the bidder side of it he's always been very quick to answer questions and take bids.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for taking to time to write that up. I will definitely consider eBay more now, and regarding Bill Goodwin's, I had wanted to sell through him from the start but his website never updated and only recently did I learn I had missed a deadline. PLUS, we're located in the same area.

One reason I'm considering a house is because of the potential for higher bids. I've had houses tell me the card would sell for 1500-3000, around 2000, and even as high as 6000-8000 (which I know is a little inflated!). With eBay, I just don't know if the highest bidder would ever see the card.

Thanks everyone,
Kyle

Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I think the deadline for REA is Feb 10th. I've also heard good things about the turnaround time for payment. REA will also advance money. I'm not sure any other house does that.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

I'll start by offering $1550!

Old 02-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Sure you want to spend that much for crappy commons? :-p

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Every auction house will advance money. Even I do and I'm a blip on the radar screen. I'm not sure this card would make the cut as a single lot in the big auction catalogs; you might want to inquire first. I would sell it on ebay myself.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

REA just changed the dealine to 2/15. I did a lot of research on this topic and came away with REA (just one card in the upcoming auction), although I buy from Mastro in nearly every auction.

Edited to correct typos unless otherwise noted.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymousdave

Not so sure Mastro would even take it.. on it's own that is.
Barry Sloate and Mile High card Co. always do pretty good on "workingman's" cards or lots.

edited to add: I guess Mastro might take it for the "collectors series" or whatever their internet only auctions are called...but at that point.. go to e-bay, it's a Ruth.. and will get lots of looky-lou's anyways.