NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-07-2021, 08:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
PSA would have to hold a job fair in this thread. Most people don't know a pennant from a peanut. There is honestly no chance that they'd be a better authority than the crew posting here.
When has that ever stopped them? They’re the authority because they say they’re the authority.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ebay pennant searches continue to be fruitless. Anything that turns up is either ultra common, badly damaged, modern junk or way overpriced. Seems almost pointless to waste time searching any longer.

Although I did find this very interesting and unique Eagles Penna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halfpennant.jpg (81.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

We all know about full size and 3/4 size pennants. But that particular seller introduces us to the ultra-rare 2/3 size. For only a $28 opening bid and $20.40 shipping, that Eagles Penna could some day be yours.

And here's a lovely Chiefs Penn, but it's gonna run you $11 more. Everybody set your snipes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halfpennant2.jpg (79.5 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-08-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:39 PM
Rob

Same seller, huh? They specialize in pennas.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:45 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
We all know about full size and 3/4 size pennants. But that particular seller introduces us to the ultra-rare 2/3 size. For only a $28 opening bid and $20.40 shipping, that Eagles Penna could some day be yours.

And here's a lovely Chiefs Penn, but it's gonna run you $11 more. Everybody set your snipes!
I can’t believe it hasn’t been sold (or eaten) yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1E39C27-7E3B-413B-BF84-8370BA9F02AA.jpg (19.1 KB, 193 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:46 PM

It’s a shame, too ... the Chief with the white pants is a bit tougher ...
Old 02-08-2021, 06:42 PM
Marc

The white pants really held up well to whatever in the heck happened to that pennant. I need to get some of that paint for my house.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Same seller, huh? They specialize in pennas.
The 20" pennas jokes practically write themselves.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Rob

Quote:
Ebay pennant searches continue to be fruitless. Anything that turns up is either ultra common, badly damaged, modern junk or way overpriced. Seems almost pointless to waste time searching any longer.

Although I did find this very interesting and unique Eagles Penna
The ultra rare "Philade" Eagles pennant which ironically enough came on a "Filleted" (or "Flayed", you decide) pennant.

Ebay has been so bad I can't even remember the last time I searched the sold listings and saw something I was disappointed I didn't get.

I threw these two onto my watch list simply because there was very little action on them. I generally don't get to into Army or Navy pennants unless they're pretty rare. These are oversized...35"...and were too cheap to not buy. That and I had an itchy buying finger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Army.jpg (76.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Navy.jpg (76.8 KB, 185 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 PM

Those are sweet pennants, Rob. Can't go wrong with the US Army!

They look old ... like, 1910s or 20s-old, based upon those thin spines. I've seen some from that era that featured comparable graphics and letter fonts; and a label for The Reproduction Co.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:54 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Gorgeous pennant pair, Rob! Love the artwork on both. And the condition is just crazy for pennants that are over 100 years old. Way to make lemonade out of lemons during this horrific drought!
Old 02-09-2021, 03:30 AM

Well the good news is that the drought has increased demand for what we all have. Been noticing an uptick in prices realized for not terribly uncommon 1950s team pennants. Even if we aren’t sellers, at some point we will want to move them along ... I’m not too far from starting the process with what I have in storage tubs. I think it seems this way because our collections have grown quite a bit. Even the live auctions aren’t very interesting.

Another solution: let’s trade! We should have Pennant Collector Winter Meetings!

Last edited by thetahat; 02-09-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:34 AM

Here’s a recent find of mine with what seems to be a tough variation (tassels and font).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE1E8358-2F7E-4EB7-A799-6EE69A8C21EB.jpg (20.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 03:36 AM

Quote:
The ultra rare "Philade" Eagles pennant which ironically enough came on a "Filleted" (or "Flayed", you decide) pennant.

Ebay has been so bad I can't even remember the last time I searched the sold listings and saw something I was disappointed I didn't get.

I threw these two onto my watch list simply because there was very little action on them. I generally don't get to into Army or Navy pennants unless they're pretty rare. These are oversized...35"...and were too cheap to not buy. That and I had an itchy buying finger.
These are very very cool, detail is amazing ...
Old 02-09-2021, 04:00 AM

This drives me nuts by the way .... definite repro but always sold as if it was original .... currently has a pretty high bid. I only know of three Pilots pennants

1. The mucho cool white cloth ASCO
2. The red Trench (slight variations, with and without tassels, font of Seattle)
3. A red AdFlag, somewhat unsightly

There’s also a red repro resembling #2 that has been making some rounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90EBDB42-5D64-4129-A2C0-77560614AE3A.jpg (20.1 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 02-09-2021 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:47 AM
Marc

Hey Greg- just curious, but what points to repo/made at a later date on that one? The MLB logo? The material? Something else? Do you think it was sold as some kind of commemorative item?
Old 02-09-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Hey Greg- just curious, but what points to repo/made at a later date on that one? The MLB logo? The material? Something else? Do you think it was sold as some kind of commemorative item?
Hey Marc ... the MLB logo for one, it resembles late 70s/early 80s used for other teams ... and it is thin paper felt.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Hey Marc ... the MLB logo for one, it resembles late 70s/early 80s used for other teams ... and it is thin paper felt.
Definite repro upon first glance. Even if it had the softest wool felt, the MLB logo would give it away.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Marc

So, what do you guys think about this white one? No logo. Autographs could have been collected after 1969, of course.

And, is this red one the Adflag? I kind of like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21_91-1_lg.jpg (19.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg img35.jpg (28.1 KB, 165 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 12:57 PM

Oh my god .... THE DOOLEY WOMACK! That’s awesome. Interesting no trademark. But it still looks like 70s/80s material to me. Easily overcome by the autographs. And yes that’s the presumed-to-be Ad Flag pennant. It’s a tough one for sure. I’m not a fan because they don’t use the Pilots official logo/font which was way cool. Egner guide incorrectly lists the white with MLB logo as authentic.

Last edited by thetahat; 02-09-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post

And, is this red one the Adflag? I kind of like it.
I kind of like it, too!
Old 02-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Rob

Well, the original bleacher made his first foray into dyeing. FB Rob gave me a few pointers...

In a nutshell:

1) remove spine. I used a single edge razor blade. It took maybe five minutes.
2) lay pennant face down on some old towels. I put the towels on a scrap of plywood.
3) mix dye. Rit tells you how to make 3 gallons. I figured 2 tbsp. for a gallon of water.
4) spray the back side liberally. When soaked in, spray again...and again...and again...and again. I'll bet I sprayed it 20 times. I used two full spray bottles of the dye mixture. If you check the front, it will be "speckled" at first and eventually take on a more uniform color.
5) re-attach spine. I had a friend do it. A professional seamstress may have sewed a straighter line.

I may have gotten a little carried away...the dye bled a little onto the white paint because the paint was cracked. Other than that, no issues. Had the paint not been cracked, it probably would have been a total success. As it is, I give my effort a "B." I would, and may, do it again on a faded green Polo Grounds pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0331.jpg (79.1 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-02-01 06.02.47.jpg (76.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-02-01 21.40.13.jpg (76.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-02-10 05.27.58.jpg (78.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the original bleacher made his first foray into dyeing. FB Rob gave me a few pointers...

In a nutshell:

2) lay pennant face down on some old towels. I put the towels on a scrap of plywood.
3) mix dye. Rit tells you how to make 3 gallons. I figured 2 tbsp. for a gallon of water.
4) spray the back side liberally. When soaked in, spray again...and again...and again...and again. I'll bet I sprayed it 20 times. I used two full spray bottles of the dye mixture. If you check the front, it will be "speckled" at first and eventually take on a more uniform color.
5) re-attach spine. I had a friend do it. A professional seamstress may have sewed a straighter line.

I may have gotten a little carried away...the dye bled a little onto the white paint because the paint was cracked. Other than that, no issues. Had the paint not been cracked, it probably would have been a total success. As it is, I give my effort a "B." I would, and may, do it again on a faded green Polo Grounds pennant.
Great work!!!! You’re a tough grader. Looks beautiful to me. Does the paint rub off at all? Like if you ran a napkin over it ... ?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Great work!!!! You’re a tough grader. Looks beautiful to me. Does the paint rub off at all? Like if you ran a napkin over it ... ?
Not sure what you’re asking....
Old 02-10-2021, 09:16 PM
Rob

Quote:

In a nutshell:

Great job Rob. Looks fantastic.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Here’s a recent find of mine with what seems to be a tough variation (tassels and font).
Not sure I’ve seen tassels on a stiff arm pennant before. Also, the little patch of turf is missing below the feet. And as you mention, different font. Copy cat by a different company?
Old 02-11-2021, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Not sure I’ve seen tassels on a stiff arm pennant before. Also, the little patch of turf is missing below the feet. And as you mention, different font. Copy cat by a different company?
Interestingly, one with tassels just went in a group in a Lelands auction, though it otherwise matches the standard design. But yeah I guess so. It’s well made, double stitched on the back, soft thick felt, definitely old.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you’re asking....
I mean, if you gently rub a white paper towel on it, will some blue transfer?
Old 02-11-2021, 06:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
I mean, if you gently rub a white paper towel on it, will some blue transfer?
I didn’t try and it’s now tucked away in a rigid holder. You might get some blue from the felt (not really sure) and I didn’t mess with whatever “bleed” I had on the graphics. That’s actually surprising, because I have a bad habit of thinking “I probably should leave well enough alone” but then not leaving well enough alone. Case in point: the 1962 scroll Champs I ruined.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Rob

Quote:
Great job Rob. Looks fantastic.
Would you say it has GREAT EYE APPEAL?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Jordan Gluck

Am I the only one that believes the current card hype is about to spill over to pennants? Also glad to have won this! Hunt had a superb selection of pennants this go around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minnesota Pennant.jpg (77.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgluck View Post
Am I the only one that believes the current card hype is about to spill over to pennants?
I don't think so. I hope not!

Beautiful pennant, Jordan!

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-11-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Stunning rare pennant, and congrats on that pickup.

I think some of the card fervor will spill over to memorabilia. It already has, actually. It's pretty inevitable that when collectors are priced out on cards, they turn to other cool things pictured in those REA, Lelands, Hunt and LOTG catalogs which are more affordable.

Some will get hooked on memorabilia and some won't ever make the foray. But I have spoken with hundreds of memorabilia/pennant collectors who started out collecting only cards.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamgluck View Post
Am I the only one that believes the current card hype is about to spill over to pennants? Also glad to have won this! Hunt had a superb selection of pennants this go around
Nice pick up. I placed an early bid and meant to come back on Saturday and forgot. I don’t have that pennant in my Gopher collection and that one is as good as it gets. That’s about where I figured it would end. Luckily we didn’t bid each other up. Great pennant.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:40 AM

Thought I would share with you all my first two pennants. As a six-year-old I attended Game 2 of the 1976 championship series between the Phillies and the Reds. My first game. Not a good day for the home team. But my father bought me these, and they were moved around my bedroom walls dozens of times. At some point in my late teens I colored in the Reds spine and the Mets came off. I even made a mini set when I was around 11-12, drew the logos and glued them on felt my mom bought. .... And I had about 15-20 stored away until around 1996-7. Mitchell and Ness had their original store downtown in Philly, and they had a 50% Super Bowl sale, which included their repro pennants. I bought eight of them to decorate the just finished basement. But in the store they actually had some vintage pennants in the wall, nothing we’d go nuts over but still they looked so much better. .... Then one day I was at a flea market and bought a pile of 1950s pennants dirt cheap and then got into eBay. ... I think I may have shared the latter part with you already ...

Anyway I’m always amazed that we find old pennants in such nice condition. There would be no way that those soft felt pennants would have survived my childhood. They’d all look much more like that Chiefs Grilled Cheese pennant above (and the Philade) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56BFC425-383A-426C-BDB6-225065560742.jpg (19.9 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 02-12-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great stories, Greg...

I too am amazed that we find so many old pennants in great condition. It's nothing short of a miracle. The pennants that hung on my walls as a kid are beaten to hell, and not even displayable. Fading, tears, holes, frayed tips, and you name it. I've kept them all for sentimental reasons, of course.

But its amazing how many have stood the test of time... even the small percentage that were safely stored away were prone to moth holes, rodent bites, silverfish, dust mites, etc. I won't question how so many have survived... just glad that they have!
Old 02-12-2021, 04:44 PM
Rob

I'm not sure I ever had pennants on my walls, as a kid. I do remember having this life size poster on the back of my bedroom door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u-g-Q12PAOC0.jpg (35.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-12-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I ever had pennants on my walls, as a kid. I do remember having this life size poster on the back of my bedroom door.
I’m trying to think of a clean joke here that involves a pair of tassels .....
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 PM

Opening scene from an NFL highlight clip, Week 7, 1962.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52EAEEDE-90C3-4104-AB19-E456FFF86072.jpg (14.6 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 02-12-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I’m trying to think of a clean joke here that involves a pair of tassels .....
Raquel Welch turned 80 last September. In addition to some good preservation, there may be some restoration involved. Despite any recent alterations, I think she might still warrant a grade of "10".

Horrible movie; epic poster!
Old 02-13-2021, 12:30 PM

Well let’s see, we don’t want a pennant to be trimmed but ... okay I’ll stop right there
Old 02-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Erik

Random observation - I didn’t notice this originally, but my Cardinals pennant is a variation from the one in Egner’s book. The script under the two cardinals is different and the names also seem to vary - although I can’t read those in the bottom photo. I wonder if the Phillies and Pirates and other teams with similar designs have variations?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
Random observation - I didn’t notice this originally, but my Cardinals pennant is a variation from the one in Egner’s book. The script under the two cardinals is different and the names also seem to vary - although I can’t read those in the bottom photo. I wonder if the Phillies and Pirates and other teams with similar designs have variations?
Very interesting. Gonna guess that these are different years? Maybe one is 1949 and the other 1950. I’ll check the names. Yours is very nice and clean. I have the version in the book.

I’m intrigued about these roster pennants, they seem to be from the same maker as all the “sliding runner” team pennants. They might be the most common that we haven’t figured out as far as the company who produced them.

Last edited by thetahat; 02-13-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Hi Erik!

Without looking at the rosters for each pennant (I've got a long to-do list today), I would guess they represent different years. The Manufacturer probably kept the same Cardinals motif, and just tweaked it with slight design change and updated names for the new season.

Just an educated guess!
Old 02-13-2021, 02:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg, you beat me too it by one minute while I was still typing... I guess great minds think alike, haha.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Greg, you beat me too it by one minute while I was still typing... I guess great minds think alike, haha.
LOL yep! Here's mine ... now who the heck made these beauties?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9593.jpg (79.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So Erik’s is 1949, as Bill Reeder (33) is listed, only appeared in ‘49. Mine is 1950, due to Johnny Lindell 5 who only played for STL in ‘50, and that was in mid season.

We know the Phillies have a 1949 and 1950 version, and the 1949 has fancier cursive like Erik’s.

Last edited by thetahat; 02-13-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Very interesting. Gonna guess that these are different years? Maybe one is 1949 and the other 1950. I’ll check the names. Yours is very nice and clean. I have the version in the book.

I’m intrigued about these roster pennants, they seem to be from the same maker as all the “sliding runner” team pennants. They might be the most common that we haven’t figured out as far as the company who produced them.
I've got to believe it's the exact same company that made these more common ones...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cards on Bat.jpg (64.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat2.jpg (14.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat5.jpg (17.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat3.jpg (73.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg cardsonbat4.jpg (16.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
The good scan is from 1949 (only year that Baker and Glaviano were both on the team)

The bad scan is from 1950 (only year Lindell was on the team).

That explains the variation.

Edited to say "damn you guys were all pretty quick"

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:45 PM

My known list of pennants like Erik’s

Phillies 1949 1950 including NL Champs
Athletics 1945 1948
Boston Braves 1950?
Pirates 1949
Cardinals 1949 1950
Red Sox 1946
Senators 1945
Orioles IL 1944

Last edited by thetahat; 02-13-2021 at 03:25 PM.