NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Joe

Default T206 Speaker on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tris-Speaker-190...item230e434536

Does this card look legit? It almost looks too good to be real and makes me wonder why it has not been graded yet.

I am not a T206 expert, and not claiming this is fake. Just wanted to get some opinions from the board.

Thanks!
Joe
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Id say reprint, but I Dont know of that type of reprint, with the correct font and caption (beside color)

Might be scanner settings... ???

The things I see...
The border and the uniform should be the same color, this card the uni has a yellow tint when compared to the border.

The "BOSTON" on uni should be lighter red, yet the borders and overall color of picture seem too bright?

The Caption should be brown when compared to the thin line above it that is black. The back and the caption colors are goofy, but the whole scan might be just messed with ??

The blue is slightly off register yet at the left border it has a bumpy look to it, same with the black line, not solid. Also around the face and hat seems to be dots not seen on authentic cards.

example scan (not mine)
Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Frank Wakefield

I'd not incur the postage both ways to be given that card if the 'seller' offered to mail it to me if I'd send him a stamped envelope. The caption is not right. The blue bleeding out beyond the frame at the belt looks wrong, the frame looks odd, dittos on what FKW says about the uniform 'color'. Whenever I see 'no returns accepted' it is like a warning beacon that says 'I'm ripping someone off', even when they have 'no returns on graded cards', BS to that. And aren't the Rothman Galleries in Lancaster, PA, not New York???

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-18-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Pretty sure it is fake...and I want to believe. I want to believe because I prefer non-slabbed cards, but the uni bothers me in it's tint and the bad scan. Also, of course you can't see in 3-D, but it "looks" like the stock is wrong...way too thin. The other thing is that though the seller has good feedback, it looks like it has all been achieved though selling 1991 Emmett Smith Wild Card 10 Stripes and 1997 Flair Ken Griffeys. My advice is, "Move along, nothing to see here."
Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Frank Wakefield

bbcard1, I thought it looked thin, too. But when I started to type that, I went back and looked at the card again, and decided to not mention thinness, because I thought someone here would take me to task over that. Now that I'll have company, I agree with you. The card looks like it's printed on thinner cardstock than that of real T206s.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Tony Quinn

Looks 100% fake to me. More red flags than a NASCAR race!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
David Str@@te

I wouldn't want to have the slightest shred of doubt if I were spending 5K on a card.

I don't believe a card is headed to the Rothman and somehow makes it's way onto Ebay. That's Toy Story sh!sh.

I don't trust anyone who says the words Gem Mint in their posting, then amends that to NM+ in their item description.

I don't trust instructional assistants when they get "sick" on Fridays. Sorry, that last one is just my own personal axe to grind.

Anyways. I'd rather put up a down payment on Az Oceanfront Condos.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Speaker

Check out the color of the piedmont ad on the back as well. It should be a blue shade and not black.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM

What about the biggest red flag, at least to me, the color of the print on the back of the card? That shouldn't be black, should it? Shouldn't Piedmont backs be blue?

David
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

haha, its now $9 starting bid.

I wrote the seller and asked if they could scan the card correctly with correct color setting and pointed out all the problems, caption and back color, uniform etc.

They didnt reply, but they knocked $4,991 off the opening bid.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
D.B. Cooper

It's fake. I remember when these (there were a couple others) popped up on Ebay a few years ago. Same story about an auction gallery. Same back scans that look like bad photocopies. Doesn't help the sellers credibility that he's selling slabbed modern cards, but wouldn't slab an impeccable - were it real- T206 Speaker. And finally, a web search turns up a Rothman "Gallery", which is a fine art gallery, but no Rothman "Galleries" other than some online photo galleries. The felt carrying case is a nice touch, though.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 02-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.