NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default E254 Colgan's Chip curiosity

Posted By: brian parker

Have a question for the board that maybe somebody has an answer for. I don't actively collect the E254 Colgan's Chip cards, but came across a catalog entry in the old Sports Collectors Bible guide from the late 1970's that gives a separate listing of the Colgan's cards (with a designation of E254-1), stating that they are 1-1/2" round cards that are an apparent re-issue of the E254 set with "Colgan's" printed on the face of the card. The guide lists 77 cards by name, ranging from Ames to Zimmerman, and includes big stars such as Cobb and Wagner. They also have a separate list for the regular E254 set, as well as both varieties of the E270 set.

Anyone heard or seen a "Colgan's" printed on the front of the card E254 variation? My other guides don't mention these cards, nor is it mentioned in the Lipset Encylopedia of Baseball Cards. Because of this I assume it is a phantom listing, but it sure is strange that they came up with a list of 77 identified cards. Just curious...

Brian

Old 05-20-2002, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 05-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

are different but the names have changed to protect the innocent.....I believe one says "Stars of the Diamond" at the top, on the reverse, and the other says "send 25 tin tops" or something like that....and the E270 is different in that it says "25 box tops" on the back....so there are 3 different backs.....and the red front of the 270.....they were probably talking about the different E254 backs as even the 2002 SCD lists them seperately, although it lists the "25 tin tops" as another E270 subset.....hope I confused you enough......never seen any with anything but the names on front...regards all...

Old 05-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

about the red border around the "Red Border" E-270 cards, and the ad for "tin tops" on the back of the E-270 "Tin Tops." Aside from the red border, all fronts are the same. The Red Borders are a little fatter.

There ARE those square (rectangular) things some people call "Colgan's proofs," although the style of printing and size are quite different from regular Colgan's, and most people think they are NOT Colgan's proofs. Besides, they DON'T say "Colgan's" or anything like it on the front.

Old 05-21-2002, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Old 05-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Does anybody have scans of the fronts and backs of the three different scans? I know I'm still a little bit confused about the differences.

Old 05-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

a single Colgan's with a back that states at the bottom "208 in present series" VERY tough to find. Meyer of New York. Anyone else have any of these?

Old 05-21-2002, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

from a cursory glance, I notice that the backs of the red borders aren't very straight. That is, on the backs of the tintops and the stars of the diamond, they are printed nicely across. The red borders are rootated all around on the back. Of the 11 that I have, only 4 of them are horizontal (equal to the fronts). There are two that are horizontal upside down and two that are vertical facing the left and one vertical facing the right. The other two are about 45 degrees turned one way or the other. Interesting.......okay, enough musing...........any other comments on Colgan's backs.............

Old 05-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

I didn't think anyone would have one of these 'Colgan's' printed on the front, since I had never seen or heard of such a card in my many years of collecting.

When mentioning undervalued/underappreciated sets from the 1910 era, this one has be near the top of the list, because not only is it such an unusual shape for a card (along with its Red Border brother and those very rare Ju-Ju Drums), but also because it features unaldulterated portrait photos of the major and minor leaguers of the day. What other set of the era offers the same, except for the incredibly inflated Ramly T204's? I think the round shape just doesn't seem like a 'card' to most pointy corner collectors.

Brian