NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default When is it worth it to "slab" what would be a "1"?

Posted By: nolemmings (Todd)

I'm thinking of submitting an Old Judge Harry Wright that would not fetch higher than a 1 (SGC 10). I really don't have plans on selling it anytime soon, butlike the SGC holder. Given its condition, I am not too worried about graders mishandling it, although I did have an OJ common disintegrate in my hands on me once.
If I were to sell it, does the grade help, hurt, or have no impact on the value? Would you have it slabbed for any appearance reasons? (TBob need not answer)

Old 05-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

If it were me, I wouldn't slab it...my guess is that most people slab obvious 1s when there are counterfeits of the card floating around. Hence there are a fair number, it seems of T206 Cobb, Matty 1s, and Cobb & Wagner e-cards. Otherwise 1s happen because the submitter thinks there is a shot at a 2.

Whatever your decision, you can always sell the card to me...:)

Jeff

Old 05-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

you like the aesthetics of the SGC holder go for it. I do and have before. I don't believe it will help or hurt the value much.....and could increase it a small bit....at least enough to pay for the slabbing....nice card though.....regards

Old 05-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: drdanbern

For me, grading by PSA or SGC increases greatly the likelihood that a card is genuine and unrestored. Personally, I would not buy or own an ungraded card anymore. Not that the grading companies are foolproof--far from it, and I could tell you some stories...

Old 05-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I dont get my cards graded, and I try not to buy graded cards, (mainly because Im a mid to low grade collector, and dont have too much trouble telling a fake from the real deal). But if I started to get them graded (thinking about it), I would only do SGC, and the few N172s and other 19th Century cards I have would be some of my first cards submitted. I just think the SGC holder makes them look nicer, compared to the normal toploaders most of my cards live in. I could care less what number is on the holder. That Wright N172 is nice and dark, with an extremely clear photo, and the full name too! Very nice. Frank

Old 05-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Not that the grading companies are foolproof--far from it, and I could tell you some stories...>>

If I am not mistaken, you were the one who had that T205 Speaker PSA 4 that was damaged by PSA? This board is about educating collectors from every end of the spectrum and we would love to hear some stories.

Old 05-16-2002, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

If the card gets the lowest possible grade (PSA 1 or SGC 10) ...

then it will be VERY difficult to sell the card for what it is really worth.

Take it from a guy who tried fruitlessly to sell a PSA 1 Old Judge Jim O'Rourke card that was a NICE card but had a little damage to the back.

Old 05-16-2002, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

'raw', it's not that bad.........like Hally said if it does get the SGC10, you might get the kiss of death. Although.........Wright is much tougher card than his O'Rourke and always popular. You might have outside chance at a 20 but I doubt it. My Wright is MUCH worse than that one. I've got paper flaking on the FRONT of the card in the upper left but the overall photo clarity is good. Thought about getting mine graded. Paid $100 on yahoo auctions. Thought it was worth that. You can also just send it to see what it'd bring for the $7 special right now, then crack it if you're not happy with the grade.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Looks like the opinions are about evenly split on slabbing ol'Harry. Think I'll leave him out of my next submission, but probably will take advantage of the $7 special. Thanks again.
Regards.............Todd

Old 05-17-2002, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan bernstein

You are right, Vorthian. I am the one who posted the T205 Speaker on eBay several years ago. Briefly, the story is this: It was my favorite card at the time. I had purchased it via a telephone auction from one of the big companies (I forget which one now--it was many years ago.) It was a strong NM-M, likely a PSA8, at the very least a PSA7. I decided to sell a portion of my collection, and sent it off to PSA. When it came back, a corner had been damaged and it had been graded PSA4. I called them several times and was given a runaround, as expected. I have other stories that I would be glad to share if there is any interest. Dan.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Leave it out. The only time a PSA1 or SGC1 interests me is when it is a card which is "authenticated" like a T206 Plank, etc.
The card has decent eye appeal for a collector who doesn't want a top end collection.
Leave it out.
Or, maybe I'll buy it and crack it out

Old 05-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< If I were to sell it, does the grade help, hurt, or have no impact on the value? >>

On this "type" of card, I wouldn't slab it if you were going to sell it. Some cards are greatly enhanced with slabs, others are not. This is the case of the latter.

Old 05-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: is it for you or for the market?

If you want to resell the card and you are slabbing it for that purpose, a "1" might help, but if you are doing it to frame and show off the card, it is well worth the $7. I slab low grade significant cards all the time simply to have them in a nice, professionally-framed display that shows off the card and is secure against inadvertent handling goofs. Plus, when you consider the cost of a nice screw down holder (not to mention the damage it can do to the card as it compresses), having it slabbed is not that much more.

The best part of having the cards SGC holdered is that my daughter (3 and 1/2 and very precocious) can handle the cards in the SGC slabs (w/my supervision, of course), which makes her feel like a "big girl", without my worrying about a drop killing the card or a crease penetrating the toploader or card saver. When I get an order back from SGC, we often sit on the couch together to open the box and look at the cards.

Old 05-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I have been a pack-rat all my life, but rationalized that all the stuff I collected as a kid would be just as interesting to my children - after all, it would have been a dream if my parents had saved their Captain Marvel comics or old baseball cards! Needless to say, my children have no interest in baseball or my cards and comics. My son gets involved in the "thrill of discovery" at the used bookstore, or buying/selling/trading, but the cards themselves have no special appeal. I finally gave up - the '70s cards I'm now auctioning are all cards I pulled from packs as a kid!

Old 05-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

I think at any grade this may be a good idea for verification purposes. I have a Cobb w/Drum back T-206 and there was a laminated fake floating around the auction scene a few years ago so I had mine certed for verification it was not a laminated back....SGC is not fooled by this attempt at rarities any longer....the card was only a low end VG*