NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2022, 09:07 AM
Robert Williams

Default Please help settle a FB debate. Was the T206 Wagner EVER made with a Piedmont back?

Enquiring minds want to know....Someone on Facebook is telling me that the T206 Wagner WAS INDEED produced with a Piedmont back. My apologies as I am sure this has been brought up many years ago.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:15 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Yes. The PSA 8 is one of them. It was not factory-issued as a Piedmont however.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think there are any confirmed examples of a Piedmont Wagner from a pack, but others may correct me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:39 AM
Rich Klein

I believe there are 3 known and in major TPG holders and I've seen two of them.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:39 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Why bother checking FB? FB is loaded with haters! Stick with net54baseball.com here please!
Old 05-31-2022, 12:24 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

On this forum there was a link that showed all the known wagners with pictures front and back

Does anyone have that link. That would help

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-31-2022, 12:28 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Hi

On this forum there was a link that showed all the known wagners with pictures front and back

Does anyone have that link. That would help
https://t206resource.com/Wagner-Gallery.html
Old 05-31-2022, 12:40 PM
Charles Jackson

According to PSA there are "approximately 60-75 or so known (total) copies in the hobby today. Keep in mind that most of the surviving Wagners have Sweet Caporal backs. Only a few exhibit Piedmont backs, which includes the finest example of them all."

When they refer to the "finest example of all" they are of course referring to the PSA 8 Gretzky copy (which was trimmed/hand cut from a sheet).

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...s-wagner/18155

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-31-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
According to PSA there are "approximately 60-75 or so known (total) copies in the hobby today. Keep in mind that most of the surviving Wagners have Sweet Caporal backs. Only a few exhibit Piedmont backs, which includes the finest example of them all."

When they refer to the "finest example of all" they are of course referring to the PSA 8 Gretzky copy (which was trimmed).

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...s-wagner/18155
Trimmed and was never in a pack.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:14 PM
Adam

As we all know, there's nothing more important than being right on the internet. Godspeed, bobby w.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:43 PM
James M

t206 resource has this scan of the Piedmont

Old 05-31-2022, 03:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The Cobb/Edwards Honus Wagner had a Piedmont back and it was...oh, wait...never mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagner-Cobb-Edwards.jpg (16.1 KB, 501 views)
Old 05-31-2022, 03:06 PM

Default yes

the few piedy s are printers scrap....

similiar to the planks scraps...
Old 05-31-2022, 03:21 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
As we all know, there's nothing more important than being right on the internet. Godspeed, bobby w.
Wins come so infrequently I take them as I get them.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:52 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Wins come so infrequently I take them as I get them.
I realize now that I should have put a wink emoji or something there. I hope it was obvious that I was being tongue in cheek.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The Cobb/Edwards Honus Wagner had a Piedmont back and it was...oh, wait...never mind.
Have they finally given up?
Old 06-01-2022, 12:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Have they finally given up?
That story always makes me cringe. Even with close shots of the card in the various documentaries and videos that have been done on it, you could tell it was fake. I'm surprised the story got anywhere near as much traction as it did.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:27 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Trimmed and was never in a pack.
Peter, correct me if I am wrong, but the story I recall was that the Honus with a Piedmont back, now known to be trimmed and graded by PSA, was on a sheet bought by Rob Lifson from a dealer on Long Island and then purchased by Bill Mastro, who then trimmed it and caused a lifetime of enmity between the two. Others know the whole story better than me.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:33 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Peter, correct me if I am wrong, but the story I recall was that the Honus with a Piedmont back, now known to be trimmed and graded by PSA, was on a sheet bought by Rob Lifson from a dealer on Long Island and then purchased by Bill Mastro, who then trimmed it and caused a lifetime of enmity between the two. Others know the whole story better than me.
That is the basic story, yes. Or Bill bought it, but was fronted the funds by Rob. Keith Olbermann claims to have seen "that Wagner" before it was doctored by Mastro.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-01-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:38 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

The real question is, did Andrew's Wagner have a Piedmont back?
Old 06-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
The real question is, did Andrew's Wagner have a Piedmont back?
One of the great mysteries of card collecting that may never be answered...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-01-2022, 02:32 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
That is the basic story, yes. Or Bill bought it, but was fronted the funds by Rob. Keith Olbermann claims to have seen "that Wagner" before it was doctored by Mastro.
If the “Wagner” was originally cut off a sheet, why is it considered trimmed and not just sheet cut? I always thought that trimmed referred to cards that were issued to the public in a specific size and then cut down afterwards.

Or, is it just semantics?
Old 06-01-2022, 03:00 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Please help settle a FB debate. Was the T206 Wagner EVER made with a Piedmont back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
If the “Wagner” was originally cut off a sheet, why is it considered trimmed and not just sheet cut? I always thought that trimmed referred to cards that were issued to the public in a specific size and then cut down afterwards.

Or, is it just semantics?

In this case, the Gretzky Wagner was not factory cut to begin with. It was part of a larger sample group with other cards in it, or was likely from a sample strip or factory oddity. The assertion of alteration here is due to the fact that it was hand cut to make it look like it was a factory issue that would have gone into a package of Piedmont cigarettes.

At some point you could certainly argue that all this is semantics — if the card measures within tolerance, which PSA claims it does. But the fact of the matter is when you have an item so nearly unique as this, and it has an established provenance, the real story comes out sooner or later. Those familiar with this card claim it is altered because it was handcut, and it’s in a slab that represents it as a factory cut issue. Then there was the whole slip up were Bill Mastro admitted that that is exactly what he did to it…

Either way, whether you consider that card altered or not - there is no disputing the fact that it is still the most valuable baseball card in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-01-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:23 PM
R0b Sm!th

Thanks for the explanation.

I have heard of cards (slabbed or not) being referred to as being “sheet cut” and always wondered why the “Wagner” was not. I assume that the majority of “sheet cut” cards are hand cut so that they resemble a “factory” card just like the “Wagner.”
Old 06-01-2022, 05:16 PM
James M

My biggest issue with the Gretzky Wagner is that the way it is graded is simply not correct. There are tons of T206s available to buy that are clearly hand cut/printers scrap, including all of the Old Mill SL Browns. Everyone knows those cards are printers scrap, they get PSA A or SGC A grades, and they still command an absolute fortune because they are incredibly rare. The Gretzky Wagner should be graded a PSA A, and because of its provenance and story, it would still command an astronomical figure.

Hand cut/trimmed cards should get an A letter grade, because that is what they are, authentic. Numerical grades should be assigned to cards that were in packs and in circulation.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
My biggest issue with the Gretzky Wagner is that the way it is graded is simply not correct. There are tons of T206s available to buy that are clearly hand cut/printers scrap, including all of the Old Mill SL Browns. Everyone knows those cards are printers scrap, they get PSA A or SGC A grades, and they still command an absolute fortune because they are incredibly rare. The Gretzky Wagner should be graded a PSA A, and because of its provenance and story, it would still command an astronomical figure.
Absolutely agree. It would command an astronomical figure today. The problem was that back in 1991, or whenever PSA first slabbed it - professional grading was brand new, and there were a lot of unknowns. There was a lot of speculation that it would only be worth a fraction of the estimate if PSA officially called it altered or only "Authentic", and I think the fears there won out. One grader even admitted that he knew it was trimmed, (hand cut) but he wasn't going to call it that because it would be "bad for the hobby."

It would be interesting to see what PSA would do about that card now if it's owner (Ken Kendrick of the Arizona Diamondbacks...) ever called them on it. The provenance is bulletproof at this point; Mastro got caught admitting on a wire recording that he had indeed cut the card from a sheet. I'm not sure how even PSA today could make a claim with a straight face that it deserves to be in a PSA 8 holder.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-02-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:01 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely agree. It would command an astronomical figure today. The problem was that back in 1991, or whenever PSA first slabbed it - professional grading was brand new, and there were a lot of unknowns. There was a lot of speculation that it would only be worth a fraction of the estimate if PSA officially called it altered or only "Authentic", and I think the fears there won out. One grader even admitted that he knew it was trimmed, (hand cut) but he wasn't going to call it that because it would be "bad for the hobby."

It would be interesting to see what PSA would do about that card now if it's owner (Ken Kendrick of the Arizona Diamondbacks...) ever called them on it. The provenance is bulletproof at this point; Mastro got caught admitting on a wire recording that he had indeed cut the card from a sheet. I'm not sure how even PSA today could make a claim with a straight face that it deserves to be in a PSA 8 holder.

That PSA8 Wagner worth a lot more than Ken paid, so he wouldn't complain to PSA. On the other hand, pretty sure PSA is more than happy to buy that Wagner from Ken at his purchase price.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:09 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
That PSA8 Wagner worth a lot more than Ken paid, so he wouldn't complain to PSA. On the other hand, pretty sure PSA is more than happy to buy that Wagner from Ken at his purchase price.
I'm not totally certain that Mr. Kendrick doesn't have to worry about money, but it's a fair assumption if nothing else at this point.

Suppose from a collector perspective he at some point agreed it should not be a PSA 8, and requested it be re-holdered as Authentic or AA? Would PSA honor that request?
Old 06-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
I'm not totally certain that Mr. Kendrick doesn't have to worry about money, but it's a fair assumption if nothing else at this point.

Suppose from a collector perspective he at some point agreed it should not be a PSA 8, and requested it be re-holdered as Authentic or AA? Would PSA honor that request?
I don't see why not, but at that point it's regrading the card, not just reholdering, so the grading fee would be $10,000. Hopefully for that price they'd evaluate it carefully enough to detect the trimming that we're all already aware of.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:52 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

It is trimmed...for sure...it would not grade today. This being graded was more a publicity stunt for PSA and the owners.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:07 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
any of us would be happy to buy that Wagner from ken at his purchase price.

and happily display it in their collection

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson