NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default I want a deadball era video game!!!

Posted By: Sean

Ok maybe I have too much time on my hands but wouldn’t it be cool if there was a deadball era baseball game (for playstation or whatever). Theres gotta be someone out there who can make this happen. Here is what I am suggesting:

A baseball game that incorporates all ballplayers, teams, and stadiums from say 1890-1940. I realize post 1920 is no longer deadball era so save the comments.

The gamer can choose what season they want to play, or they could match teams from one year against teams from another. Wouldn’t it be great to play the 1927 Yankees against the 1908 cubs? Or make a season playing all the best teams from this era. Parhaps the deadball era players will field poorer due to the smaller pre-1920 gloves. Throwing accurately will be more difficult due to the spit covered, lop-sided ball.

The gamer can choose deadball mode or rabbit ball mode. Do you give the inside game players the advantage or the long ball players the advantage? Would the inside game players play even better in the rabbit ball mode?

The game must be fun to play. I personally like Derek Jeter’s all star baseball 2002 myself as the play is intricate enough to never be boring (and takes some skill) but is easy enough to catch on pretty quickly.

On REALLY important games have the stadium so over-crowded that the fans roped off in the outfield (Prior to 1913).

In season mode, sign players but keep within the budget risking holdouts. Maybe there can be some games to help you build your cash for your team like opening the cigarette pack to find the wagner (ok I might be getting a bit carried away here).

Have each player posses the talent they are known for.
Mathewson’s fade-away

Cobb’s slide. Allow certain runners to slide spikes in the air possibly injuring the infielder or possibly getting you kicked out of baseball.

double plays being made easier by Tinker-evers-chance.

Kid Elberfield’s temper (makes him easier to get in fights or berate the ump).

Lefty Grove getting angry when he’s losing and berating his teammates.

Rube Waddell being easily destracted but don’t anger him or he’ll shut you down.

John Mcgraw (as a player with the Orioles) being able to trip or grab runners coming round third (just make sure the ONE ump doesn’t see you!).

Clutch players like Frank Baker and Joe Tinker coming through in the pinch.

Willie Keelers place hitting.

Babe Ruth calling the shot.

No helmets so beware of the bean ball!

Seedy players like Hal Chase and Heine Zimmerman not necessarily playing on the up and up. Perhaps you could check the bookies before the game to see what the likely-hood is that the ’19 white sox are going to play to their full potential.

Hughie Jenning’s knack for taking a beanball and not getting hurt.

Tris Speaker’s range in center field.

Hope your players don’t get TB or Cirrhosis during the season!

Babe Herman being a bit clumbsy

Have the stadiums develop over the years so its harder to hit a home run in pre- bleachers ballparks.

Get the home stadium advantage by having pre game entertainment:
Perhaps you can be Hans Lobert racing a horse around the bases
Hit fungos
Have Wilbert Robinson catch a ball from an airplane
Get Nick Altrock to make the crowd laugh

In the 1918 season, have the players do military drills.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or what you think of the idea. There has gotta be some of you out there that would love this as much as me!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The only problem is that it would sell maybe four copies. Many of us older guys don't know the first thing about video game systems and the younger kids...you think they really want to be Nick Altrock?

Good thinking though.

Bob

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

who cares! sony doesnt need to know only 4 people are going to buy it!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

The game you want is Pong

Old 02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Ray

Around 10 or more years ago,there was a PC game called "Tony Larussa Baseball" One of its features (for the 1996 version,if I remember)was the hundreds of old-time teams you could command. The graphics were good for the time (now it'd be horribly outdated),and I doubt that,uinless you could use DOS,you could still play this game,but I have seen it online. It had the actual rosters,and many photos (some taken from old cards) of the players and even some old (rendered) stadiums! It was a blast,pure and simple.
Nowadays,there is a great game company called APBA (I've been playing the master version of the board game for over 35 years,on and off),...its' PC version (called BBW,or baseball for windows) is an excellent way to replay old seasons. Look them up online (they're in Lancaster,PA). They are incredibly accurate as a sim,and every play that happened then can happen on your PC now. There is also a forum where players discuss this,and they are mostly old-timers like me (45 or older). If you're into boards games,their board game...master version...is the best in the business.
Right now,I've been playing 60 teams (something they call "Great teams of the PAst"...20 teams..AL and NL...per set...3 sets.) I use 3 dice and the large master game booklet,and input stats through excel. Lots of fun. takes about an hour per game.These sets are also available for the PC version.
Check out APBA's website and their forums...its what you're looking for!
Rob Brooklyn, NY

Old 02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

How about an option to let you go on Spalding's World Tour? Add some barnstorming teams like the Nebraska Indians or House of David.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

wow, Ill have to find tony larussa. Surely they got a cheat for it for ps2.
Love the barnstorming idea!
Keep me coming!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I think it would be cool to have sort of a simulation game where you could control the 1869 Cincinnati Reds...baseball would be the biggest part of the game, but you would have to work out travel, expenses, hotels, contracts, et cetera. I suppose you could do that with any team, but I think that would be kinda fun.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Players should be allowed to jump leagues.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

Hal Chaseball.

Imagine the possibilities.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

my son just told me that he has PS2 MLB 2006 "the show". it allows you to play with ruth, cobb and some others. you can get crosby field and the polo grounds as well. but the thing is that you have to do good with the other/newer guys inorder to "unlock" these old guys and fields.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Sean...I think you need to edit your post to read "keep em coming" rather than "keep me coming".

Just sounds a little odd : )

Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Years ago, Playstation 1 had a game with Ruth, Cobb and other players from long ago that you could play the game with. If I remember correctly, Ken Caminiti was on the cover. One of the game's features was the All-Time greats team along with a home-run derby mode also.

Jantz

Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris East

If you really just want a simulation, check out www.whatifsports.com. They've got a free baseball simulation where you can match just about any combination of two ML teams from 1885 to the present, pick the lineups, and then it runs a simulation and gives you a boxscore and play-by-play. (I just ran Matty and the 1910 Giants against Shoeless Joe and the 1919 Black Sox three times, and the Giants won two out of three...3-1, 4-3, 1-2).

They also have simulation leagues where you can draft a team within a salary cap, and manage that team against other users. There is a free trial version (10-game exhibition season) and a full season game that is $12.95.

No graphics or animation like a videogame, but it is a pretty decent simulation engine. I've dabbled with the baseball simleague, but have gotten hooked on their college football dynasty game and their baseball dynasty game (both of these just have computer generated players rather than real historical players).

Just as an aside, if anyone decides to do any of their pay leagues, shoot me an email so I can send you a referral link...they throw a couple of bucks in credits to anyone who brings in new paying users.

Edited to add that the 2005 MVP Baseball for Playstation 2 had something similar to what anthony describes is in the 2006 MLB "the show" game.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

ha! Sorry bout the typo. That being said if you get this game made.....

Similation is ok but I want the real deal. Im addicted to my all star baseball game and dont even follow new baseball. Jumping leagues would be good and theyd def have to have the federal league in it.
I know there have been less commercial friendly games slip through the cracks. Start networking!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koochin

Baseball Mogul 2007 or 2008 for PC will give you all the players you
want back to 1900... I love playing the Blacksox!!!

All-Star Baseball 2004 for XBOX will give you Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb,
Honus Wagner, and Negro league teams w. Josh Gibson....

Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

I actually DO make video games for a living and LOVE this idea, but there are 2 flaws

1. physics equations - how to make the deadball era TRULY deadball without accurate calculations is an impossibility. I'm not talking about stats, i'm talking about how much "pop" the ball really has, and how much it loses by being thrown over and over again. We don't have many of the balls from the era left and (since the new ones are so tightly wound) i don't know many people who would give one of their vintage balls up for testing

2. Again, great idea but it's just not commercially viable - We're working on some games for disney and have done some movie games (lord of the rings, harry potter, etc) in the past, and while it would be fun, not enough people would buy the game to justify making it. If i could get artitts programmers and devs to work for free on a fun projkect it would be great, but these guys don't work for free (lol)

good luck!
R

Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

hi russ!

Heres my idea to work out the physics regarding deadball and rabbit ball:
In all star baseball you swing using a cursor that is bigger depending on who the batter is. So in a way deadball and rabbit ball mode would be equivilent to average and difficult. The deadball era stadiums would be less home run friendly then the rabbit ball stadiums as well. I know this isnt perfect but I think it would be a good way to show the difference between the two baseballs. Plus in deadball mode, the ball can get way dirty and throughout the game will get more difficult to see and harder to throw accurately.

regarding sellability: Baseball card shows are always a market place for this type of game making it a slight bit more unique than your average shoot em up game that can only be marketed at game fairs and MAYBE comic book conventions. I think a lot of people play sports games not because they are familiar with the players but because the game PLAYS well. No wIm no game sales expert but Id love to see what past baseball games have sold. Surely this could be done.

Help me russ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

What if players had to steal a car on their way to the game? Or blow up a Death Star between innings?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

if it gets this game goin, you can even throw hannah montana into the mix!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

Something like a "Mr. Mint Card Quest". Think of the possibilities. It could have 4 or 5 levels of obnoxious, a maze to the chair by the door, etc.