NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Winning bids from "The Never Ending Auction"?

Just thought it would be cool to see who was able to come out on top on their lots...and what they ended up with.

I got the Rogers Hornsby Hanna Batrite gamer as well as the Reggie Jackson 1980 gamer. Also got one of the T206 McGraw cards.

I would love to hear about the other winnings!

Happy New Year everyone!

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 12-31-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM

Default My big win from "the never ending auction"

I only purchased one item, but it matches my no-hitter collection nicely.

My pickup was a 1914 photo of the Cubs' Jim "Hippo" Vaughn from The Sporting News Photo Archive. Hippo Vaughn was the unfortunate losing pitcher in one of the most interesting no-hit games ever played. On May 2, 1917 Vaughn locked horns with the Cincinnati Reds' Big Fred Toney. Both Vaughn and Toney threw 9 innings of no-hit ball, which is the only time that this ever occured in history. In a pitching matchup for the ages, Vaughn finally surrendered a single with one out in the 10th and then allowed a second hit that surrendered the games only run. Toney completed a 10 inning no-hitter for the win.

I've previously posted pictures of a signed photo of Fred Toney and the only known full ticket to this game in existence that I own in my no-hit collection. This photo of Vaughn makes a nice complimenatary piece.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice photo and companion piece, Scott! But the "Hippo" monicker seems rather harsh He doesn't even look overweight to me. Wonder what they would have called David Wells or Sid Fernandez back then?

I'll post my winnings shortly... just have to download the pics.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Jeff

Default Odd Baker Photo

Looks to be readying himself for a 50 yard dash against "Boardwalk" Brown.

And a nice photo of my favorite player from my youth.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-31-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I loved this auction. I had to tone it down because of Mastro earlier in the month, but came away with the following...

1. Donald Wingfield Original Photo - Iconic early shot of Mantle

2. Donald Wingfield - Great "Crossed Bats" shot of Mantle and Klu (wearing my favorite Uni of all-time)

3. Tony Perez early original pair of photos. The second one is an amazing companion piece for me, as it is the very subject on which my Dick Perez original Watercolor is based.

4. Cool pair of Willie Mays Sunglasses. Finally, I am high-bidder on these damn things (after half a dozen tries!) I contacted "Forum Buddy" Greg (SayHey) about this pair a couple of days after he had sold them to Dave Bushing. And in a roundabout way they finally made it to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wingfield Mantle.jpg (62.5 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg wingfield MantleKlu.jpg (69.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Perez3B.jpg (72.4 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg PerezPose.jpg (66.4 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg MaysGlasses.jpg (66.7 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 12-31-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

I picked up a nice Bubbles Hargrave 1928 photo for my St. Paul Saints collection.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e0b91fd9-ed86-47af-a7c9-c19dd5a9e38b_lg.jpg (52.3 KB, 291 views)
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Matt

My only pick up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bingler2.jpg (50.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg bingler1.jpg (78.4 KB, 278 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 PM

Believe it or not, I won a pair of signed game worn Allen Iverson basketball shoes. I bid on a number of items and this was the only one I won.

Last edited by drc; 12-31-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 PM

Am very pleased with my winnings.

1930 TYPE 1 photo of Hack Wilson by Charles Conlon.

HackWilsonCONLON.jpgHackWilsonCONLONverso.jpg

And some very scarce TYPE 1 photos from Gibson's miracle home run in the '88 Series. True TYPE 1 photos from the 1980's & 90's are very hard to come by due to the advent of laser photos and later, digital.

GibsonWShomerun-1.jpgGibsonWShomerun-2.jpg

GibsonWShomerun-3.jpg
Old 01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
FredYoung

Default Jimmy---

Is a TYPE 1 photo the same as a Generation 1 photo, as Mears used the term?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Nope!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Default "Hippo" Vaughn

"Nice photo and companion piece, Scott! But the "Hippo" monicker seems rather harsh He doesn't even look overweight to me. Wonder what they would have called David Wells or Sid Fernandez back then?"

Mark (Perezfan),
Thanks for the compliment on the Hippo Vaughn photo. You ended up with some dandy items yourself. Love the glasses and photos.

Your comment about the "Hippo" moniker made me think about how he got it to begin with, and I couldn't remember myself. I ended up pulling out my copy of SABR's 2004 great book "Deadball Stars of the National League" to see if there was anything in there. Sure enough, here you go:

Jim Vaughn was "a large man 6'4" and between 215 and 230 lbs., though reports indicate that his weight balooned to close to 300 lbs. late in his career" (shades of David Wells, Sid Fernandez and Mickey Lolich I would say, sure enough!), whose lumbering, side-to-side gait gave him the nickname "Hippo". There you go!

A cool side note:
By rereading the chapter in the book, I realized that the photo that they used in the chapter on "Hippo" Vaughn is the exact one that I just purchased in the Mears "never ending" auction!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Nope!
Hey Jimmy
I thought I have heard these terms used back and forth for the same photo. Can you tell me what the difference between an original type 1 is and a generation 1? They sound like the same thing. Unless the original type 1 difference is that it was made within a few years of the negative (picture) being taken and a generation 1 was made from the negative but not close to the time frame it was taken?

Last edited by Leon; 01-01-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added a bit
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Jeff

In my mind, the one word in any of these descriptions that you can reasonably rely on is "photo," beyond that not so much.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default neat photo

This didn't go as high as I thought it would....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robinsonsigning.jpg (18.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Jimmy
I thought I have heard these terms used back and forth for the same photo. Can you tell me what the difference between an original type 1 is and a generation 1? They sound like the same thing. Unless the original type 1 difference is that it was made within a few years of the negative (picture) being taken and a generation 1 was made from the negative but not close to the time frame it was taken?

Yes, I would also like to know the difference! Mears said the Gen 1 photos were w/in days to 5 yrs of the original negative, which I thought was said many times in past discussion of TYPE 1's.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Dave

Quote:

The way I understood it, was they used the term to identify any photo which was vintage to the time of the image. Whether it was a Press, Wire, Laser, Sound, Tele, snapshot or otherwise.

Most of the descriptions were basically from the same template and you were meant to decide for yourself based on the photos they provided.

I had my eye on the large lot of boxing photos but they were generally all from a period in which Laserphotos and Wirephotos were the general norm, and they were very inferior in quality during that time period (60's through 80's). Last I saw it ended with no bids.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Dave

Quote:
Yes, I would also like to know the difference! Mears said the Gen 1 photos were w/in days to 5 yrs of the original negative, which I thought was said many times in past discussion of TYPE 1's.

I think Mears tended to use the term "Original", if it was a "Generation 1" of the possible "Type 1" variety.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
David McDonald

The extended bidding period is finished now, ja?
There were several stadium shots that I took a run at but none of which I won. I particularly liked the aerial of Gilmore Field and some of the oversized views of Seals Stadium.
I picked up four or five photos, none any great shakes. Best of the group and the one that most fits my collection is this image of old Babe Ruth and a crowd of kids. Also liked the composition of the Yomiuri Giants team picture.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
FredYoung

Default D Bergin---

Thanks for your help!