NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default MEARS effort to help clean up the hobby. REA signs on.

Posted By: Joann

Well, the November 10 deadline that MEARS set has come and gone. Recall that MEARS had published a list of policies that they will use in 2008 in terms of accepting business from auction houses. The policy listed such things as requiring the auction house to divulge ownership in lots, to disclose ANY prep work done on a card before grading, to keep records of bidding to help prevent shilling, etc.

In short, it outlined the very things that many on this board have said are desperately needed to help this hobby retain credibility. I'll post the links to the policy when I get a minute to dig them up.

MEARS said they will not do ANY business in 2008 - meaning any business - with any auction house that had not agreed (by November 10) to adhere to the new policy. This company flat out put its money where its mouth is.

As of the deadline, only one auction house agreed to adhere to the policy and thus be eligible to send items to MEARS for authenication in 2008. That company is REA. Therefore, it seems from this article on the MEARS website that REA is the only auction house from which MEARS will accept any business in 2008.

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=336

Well, this is something I believe in, and it's the first action I've seen in which a major player has put itself on the line to do something right. If MEARS put its money where its mouth is, so I guess I can too.

OK. I know that I don't have a whole lot of money with which to try to make a statement. Me putting my foot down and not bidding in certain auctions is kind of like me putting my foot down and refusing to stay at the Ritz. Just won't, dammit! lol But I can only do what I can do, and I'm going to at least do that.

So in 2008 I'm not going to bid in any auction except REA. It's not like I win a lot or spend a lot in some of these, but I do like a few of the other houses fairly well and have won from them in the past here and there. But only REA, at least for 2008. If MEARS can make a big statement, then I guess I can make a small one.

The article linked says that MEARS sent their letter to the auction houses named. I am unclear as to whether MEARS will accept 08 business from a house that did not receive the letter and also did not accept the policy. If anyone can clear this up, I'd appreciate it. I don't know where that leaves some of the auction houses that did not get the letter from MEARS explaining the new policy and setting the deadline.

And as to them expanding the policy beyond memorabilia and to include cards, I have zero problem with that. The same general principles apply, so why not demand good practices across the board. Someone had to do it.

J

Edited to make it less choppy, and then edited again to fix the DANG link that got all corrupted when I edited the first time.