NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Default A short baseball story for your reading enjoyment

Posted By: John/z28jd

Before you read the following if you decide to.I'll warn that its not that short and because of my keyboard i had to use apostrophies instead of quotation marks,so don't get all proper grammar on me.I proofread it 3 times and i'm sure theres still a couple of mistakes[hopefully not] but enjoy it anyway.

It a fictional account of a real players career,using players names,dates and stats of the time.I choose a player who nothing is known about except his last name and his stats.

PS Kevin Cummings read it before the last few changes and didnt comment about it so i dont know what that says about how good it is.Here it is anyway.

My life in baseball,by William 'Tin Can' Lewis.

Part 1

It was a beautiful day in Caton NY, I was born here, lived and worked here and someday I'll die here and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm long since retired now, spent my years working for the local paper mostly, raised a small family, one son who in turn had one son. That's young William outside, William Lewis III. That boy has an arm on him like you wouldn't believe, reminds myself of me when I was a lad. Oh well, another lazy bright summer day ill spend rocking in my chair on the back porch reading the newspaper, it's my favorite thing to do, don't you know.
There's nothing like spending a day on the porch, the birds are singing, sun is shining, children are playing, windows are breaking....well,that shouldn't of happened but as long as it wasn't young William's doing, everything should be fine.[ knock knock] 'I'm coming' I yelled out, and muttered to myself, who could be ruining this perfect day. Putting on my best smile I opened the door 'Hello Mr. Jones, why I see you have my grandsons baseball in one hand and his hand in your other, is there anything wrong.' I said this knowing full well William and his friends had broken another window,but I like acting surprised everytime ole Sam Jones came to my house to complain.
Your grandson has broken another one of my windows playing his baseball in the street. I could tell by looking at Williams face that he was sad. No not that he had broken the window but that old man Jones had threatened to keep the boys only baseball and bat. Putting on my most serious face I acted shocked and scolded William, followed by a wink when Jones wasn't looking.'Now William, you know you'll have to pay for that window out of your allowance don't you'. His sad face looked up to me and said 'Yes grandpa'. How could I ever be mad at a boy for wanting to play baseball. 'Apologize to Mr. Jones and then come in the house and go to your room'. The boy apologized and walked towards the stairs, as I grabbed the bat and ball from Jones and bid him good day.
William come down here i called out to the disheartened boy. Don't worry about him,hes an old man with nothing better to do. The irony of course was that I'm a good 15 years older than Mr. Jones and i too have nothing to do but that's not important. Why don't you go throw the ball around the backyard thru that old tire hanging from the swing. I saw the boys eyes light up as he realized i wasn't angry at him for what he had done. We proceeded to the backyard and i must've watched him throw that ball thru the tire for hours. I wish i could join him but years of not playing has left me with an arm a school girl would not be proud of. It was now getting to be around noon time and the boy and I decided to go in for lunch.
William sat there eating like it was his first meal ever. I could tell he just wanted to get back outside to play more ball. He finished well before me but sat there staring at me while i finished eating. Something on your mind son i asked. 'Grandpa, how come you weren't mad that I broke the window and let me keep playing ball' he asked. I said 'Because when I was your age, I also played baseball everyday, when I wasn't helping my father out or doing chores or school work, I was playing baseball' The young boy became very interested and wanted to know more. 'Where you any good?'. Now this answer was a judgment call on my part, sure I thought I was good, one of the best in town, but I grew up following the feats of James White, the most famous person in my mind from our small town. You may know him as Deacon White.
Not wanting to brag but also not wanting to let my grandson down 'I told him with pride, ' I was good enough to play in the major leagues I was'. It was a true statement but my major league career lasted all of one game. What memories I have of the time leading up to that game and the fleeting fame that followed for me. William was shocked and at first I think in disbelief but knowing his grandfather would not lie to him, he suddenly became very interested and that's why I'm about to tell you the story of my big league career.

Part 2
It all started back when I was just a boy of 10 much like William. I followed baseball everyday thru the newspapers, each day waking up to find out what James White had done the day before. If you ask me he was the best player back then, much better than these guys now, except that Ruth fellow the New York team has, he's almost as good. Anyway, that was the first summer we had a field to play and a real bat and ball. The other kids in the neighborhood and I were able to save enough money to buy a good ball, one that wouldn't break the first day and have to be sewn up continuously. We would play till sun down every night and I was the best pitcher eventho a few of the boys were 12 and 13, I was still able to strike them out more often than not. By the time I was 13 I was considered the best player on the school team and I was starting to have aspirations towards joining the town team.
The town team played only on the holidays and weekends but their games were like public celebrations. The whole town showed up, a parade followed the team to the field up on Caton Hill and a hearty post game feast always followed in the town square, which was nothing like it is today. My father always took me to every game and we always kept score, in fact I still have some of those scorecards buried somewhere in the attic. I really wanted to play with the team, to be part of the action, and have the hometown fans cheering me on but I was still much too young as our team consisted mainly of men in their late 30s with an occasional younger player throw in who tried to take the place of a veteran player who might have been nursing an injury. Most guys back then played with a much higher threshold of pain than these guys do now. They knew back then there was always someone waiting to take their place given the opportunity and that's how I would get my big break as a matter of fact.
By the time I was 15 I was out of school and helping my dad out by working. I would work on Mr. McGurry's farm earning 50 cents a day which I would give to my dad everyday except Friday, when he would let me keep it. As soon as the work day was over tho,it was out to the baseball field either to play or to watch a game. I always went with my best friend Lefty Brown. We called him Lefty because of the obvious reason. My nickname was ' Tin Can' because I was forever knocking tin cans off the fence top with rocks. In fact, I think that's what helped me the most when I would pitch. I was so accurate with those rocks that I could line up 10 cans in a row and knock them down with 5 stones, or at least that's how I remember it these 40 some odd years later.
When I was 16 I had one of my biggest baseball thrills ever thanks to my father. My dad had been putting away seperately some of the money I had been giving to him and one Saturday morning he woke me up very early, which was unusual because the family usually slept in that day. He told me words i'll never forget 'Get dressed Willie, we are taking the train to see James White play today in NY.' He had been putting aside that money all this time just for this trip. Well, when I realized he was serious I don't think I ever got dressed faster than I did that day. It was definitely one of the more exciting moments of my life up till that point. Sure I had seen Mr. White before during the offseason, but never did I get up the nerve to talk to him, and I had also never seen him play a real game before. That train ride was one of the longest rides ever and the anticipation was almost unbearable.

Part 3
We arrived in NY about an hour before scheduled game time and quickly rushed to get to the Polo Grounds for a good seat. Although i was most interested in seeing Mr. White play, the Gothams as they were known back then had a very formidable team. They had power hitting Roger Connor who could hit a ball as hard and as far as anyone according to newspaper accounts. John Montgomery Ward, the great pitcher turned shortstop was there. They had Jim O'Rourke,one of the best hitters of his day, and according to most people you ask, the best all-round player also played for the Gothams. He was known as Buck Ewing.Their pitching was also stellar. The duo of Timothy Keefe and Mickey Welch would go on to win 75 games that year. If i remember correctly they had another great pitcher that year who was near the end of his career but never pitched for them that season.....his name slips my mind now but I'm sure it will come to me later.
I might have been the only person there rooting for the Detroit team, and why not. Not only did they have James White but they had such names as Sam Thompson, a man who matched Roger Connor almost equally in hitting the ball for distance. They also had one of the best infields of the time, Dan Brouthers, Jack Rowe, Sure shot Dunlap and Mr. White at 3rd. Their catcher Charles Bennett was the greatest receiver the game has ever seen not named Buck Ewing.I followed Detroit closely as long as Mr. White was on the team and I knew their pitchers were almost as good as New Yorks,if not better at the time.
I got my scorecard and quickly settled down in the rightfield bleachers to watch one of the best games played I had ever seen, even to this day. Mickey Welch turned in a masterful pitching performance but was matched pitch by pitch by Lady Baldwin. With the game tied at 0 and entering the bottom of the 8th, the New Yorkers had their best batsmen coming up and Buck Ewing led off the inning with a single. After a big strikeout of Ward, and Connor already down to his last strike,Ewing decided to run on the next pitch. Big mistake as he was cut down by the arm of longtime rival Bennett. On the play Connor also took a called third strike much to the annoyance of the fans.
What happened after that could have only happened in my wildest dreams or so I thought. With the first 2 Detroit batters making outs in the top of the inning it looked as if NY would have a chance to just score 1 run in the 9th and walk away victorious. Ned Hanlon was now up and he put down the best bunt he could, narrowly beating the throw from the 3rdbaseman. Next up was my hero and I knew if he could get a long hit Hanlon could score from 1st as he was known as one of the faster players of the day. Well, what I hoped for happened much to my delight, and right in front of me as James White hit a double right down the right field line barely scoring Hanlon all the way from first. After another strikeout, the 10th of the game by Welch,New York came to bat with the bottom of their order and only 3 outs to go.Baldwin, seemingly knowing how hard I was rooting for a win, struck out all 3 batters in succession to finish off a 4 hit shutout of the mighty New Yorkers.
I assumed at the time that the day could not get any better but it did, for my dad wanted to stick around after the game. He said we still had time before we had to head home and asked if I wanted to stay to see if we could meet some players which of course I did. We saw the Detroit players begin to leave and there was James White. My dad called to him and miraculously, or at least I thought, he began to walk over. 'Hey Thomas Lewis,what are you doing here from Caton' bellowed Mr. White. I was in pure shock, not only was my dad talking to him but he knew my dad. I was staring like a kid at a candy store, but I was quickly brought back to reality when my dad said to him 'Meet my son, William, he's got quite an arm, you should see him play sometime'. I couldn't believe my dad was bragging to him about how good I was as a player when we obviously came from far away to see him play. Mr. White shook my hand and said, 'Well I'll have to see for myself next time I'm in town'. Those words played thru my mind the whole ride back home.

Part 4

I couldn't wait to get back into Caton to tell everybody about my day. That was the first time all my friends would be jealous of me but definitely not the last. Moving ahead a few years, I hadn't had the chance to take up Mr. White on his offer to see me pitch, although I had not forgotten about it. The year was now 1890 and Mr. White was nearing the end of his career. According to the newspaper he decided to play one more year at the age of 42 in the newly formed Players League, a major league at the time that didn't last very long. That was also the first year I tried out for the town team, and although I thought I was the best pitcher, they stuck with the same old team they always had for the past 20 years it seemed like. The best I could do at the time was hope for their 2 starters to both develop tired arms and it would open the door for me to show what I had Vs. another towns team.
On the morning of the 20th of May I got news that changed my life. The Buffalo nine were coming thru town to play our local team in between scheduled league games. Deacon had scheduled it knowing it was his last season and he wanted to give his hometown folks one last chance, and for some their first, to see him play. I went down to the field early to practice, hoping that I would get a chance to play in the game since it was just an exhibition. I had pitched the last inning twice for our team but both in meaningless games as they were well out of hand by then. That was the extent of my playing time with the town team up till then.
When I arrived at the field with childhood friends, who had long since given up any hope of a baseball career, all we could do was talk about the impending match Vs. Buffalo and my hopes of playing at least 1 out in the game. As we talked a voice from behind asked 'Are you Tom Lewis' son' I was in the middle of answering when I turned around to see James White there in front of me. 'Yes sir' was all I could mumble. He said 'Well, I'm here, lets see that famous arm your father was talking about' and with that he grabbed a bat and headed towards home plate. Wow, a chance to actually pitch to my hero, and with a few deep breathes and lots of sweat, I threw my fastest pitch right by him. 'Your father was right, you do have quite an arm on you. Now lets see that same pitch again, and this time I'm ready for it' he said with a smile. A crack of the bat a couple seconds later sent my even faster pitch over the outfield fence. I didn't care much that i gave up a homerun to him because for the first time i felt like a real pitcher
The biggest crowd ever ,up till that time, gathered at the field that day. I was sitting on the towns team bench, albeit, all the way at the end of it but I was there and enjoying every second of the pre game fun. James, as I was now able to call him upon his insistence, received the loudest cheer by far when he was introduced. Buffalo wasn't much of a team, they had a deaf fellow named Hoy who was one of the few good players and although not much to write home about back then, their catcher was the great Connie Mack, manager of the Athletics for the last 25 or so years now. They also had Lady Baldwin, the pitcher who i saw back in NY, but he was just a shadow of his former self, near the very end of his career back then if I'm not mistaken.
The game was quickly a one sided affair as they knocked base hit after hit off our 'best' pitcher and when he could go no longer they also continued the scoring off Sam Wilson, who at age 40, was one hurt arm away from retiring and giving up his spot to me. With the score 14-2 and just 2 innings left, Deacon did me one of the biggest favors ever in my life. He told the manager of our team to put in the kid on the end of the bench. Not to go against Mr. White's wishes, I was sent to the mound to finish the game. With little warm up I was able to get 3 quick out, 2 by popups and the last a hard shot that our able-handed first baseman snared on a line drive. From the crowd came the cheers, including my friends who shouted out 'Way to go Tin Can'.
I got a chance to bat that inning, but went down swinging. For the amount of pitching I did, I barely had time to bat and wasn't as fond of it as throwing. I knew I wanted to make a good impression in the 9th and I was probably helped by the fact none of the top players for Buffalo were still in the game. I was able to get a groundout,and then strikeout the last 2 batters. I sort of felt bad because the next batter would've been James White who the crowd wanted to see again but it all worked out for the best. After the game Buffalo manager Jack Rowe had a long talk with Deacon and they came to my house after they left the field to speak with me. With my fathers permission they asked if I could join them on their road trip, where I would be their reserve pitcher. They would pay me 50 dollars a week if I remember correct and more if I played. This was the thrill of my lifetime and I personally couldn't imagine my father saying anything but yes, its ok, which he did.I was going to be a big leaguer.

part 5

I was given just a few short minutes to get everything together and in order if I wanted to make the trip with the team right then and I did. We were scheduled in Brooklyn the next day for 3 games, then to NY, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and finally Cleveland before we came home. I practiced with the team everyday but during game time I either sat in the stands or when fortunate enough sat on the bench. At the time it was both one of the biggest thrills and biggest letdowns. The team would struggle bad yet everyday all I did was pitch to the batters before games so they could get extra practice. The longer I went without playing the harder in threw before games. I do have to admit tho,I made some great friends during that time I was with the team although alot of the guys were just as rowdy off the field as on.I was a church going boy,every sunday,and the players got on me a bit,all in good fun i suppose,about my refusal to go out to the saloon after the game. To this day i'm glad i never did.
To save on travel and meal money I didn't make the trip with the team to the last 2 cities, instead went back to Buffalo and played with the other extra players. It was there I met fellow pitcher Danny Cotter who I still talk to this day. He's a great guy, lives up in Boston and has a baseball story much like mine. When the team returned home we were in last place and Rowe was desperate enough to try anything and I guess that's where I fit in. He let a former league pitcher named Ferson pitch the first game Vs. the mighty Boston Reds and he didn't fare so well as they put up 10 runs off him. After another one-sided loss we sat out the next 2 days because of rain. Jack Rowe then informed me that I would get my chance to start the next day Vs. Boston. If only I had known then what I knew now I'd had wished for another day of rain and Boston would've been out of town by the time I pitched.
I had wired my father and told him that I was pitching the next day. He would later tell me that he ran thru the whole town informing everyone he knew,and didn't know, about me pitching. My nerves grew worse and worse as the game approached and sleep wasn't in the order for me as I got maybe an hours worth all night. If I had just settled down and took it as just another game, maybe my major league career would've went better. The Reds were a great team, filled with big names at the time, Dan Brouthers, Mike King Kelly, Old Hoss Radbourne, Billy Nash, Hardy Richardson and the name I'll never forget Harry Stovey,for it was Stovey who did the most damage against me.
When the game started I felt very strong but by the time 3 innings were up I was as weak as I am now after walking up those stairs. I actually got the first batter out, speedy Tom Brown, and by a strikeout none the less, I'll never forget that though i wish i could've forgot the rest. For the next 2 2/3rd innings saw me give up 13 hits, 7 walks, 3 home runs, 2 to Stovey and by the time i was done, 20 earned runs. During school games I had gone months without walking 7 batters, but they had hit me so hard I was afraid to throw the ball over the plate.
After the 3rd inning I switched with left fielder Ed Beecher who also had very little success, in finishing the game. Although pitching was my only position I was more than happy to follow Mr. Rowe's orders to play the outfield. I had strict instructions not to crash into the deaf centerfielder.If I heard him 'call' me off the ball i was to stay away from him. He was a very swift fielder but even he couldn't help the team that day. I got to bat 5 times, singled once, struck out twice, hit 2 weak groundballs,one of which I still think to this day I beat out. I even scored that all important 7th run which pulled us within 23 runs of tying it up. I also didn't make an error in the field thanks in part to nothing being hit towards me that Hoy himself couldn't reach. When it was all said and done the final score was 32-8 and I was done with Buffalo, released following the game. I almost didn't want to go back home, but I could always brag of my single off Old Hoss as long as they didn't know the rest of the story.
My good friend Danny Cotter would pitch just 1 game also for Buffalo before his release. He pitched better than I did but not by much. Battling the strong Chicago team, he only gave up 19 runs, a full run less than I did, and which he reminds me of every time he writes. I would remind him that my batting average was 200 points higher than his but its all in good fun. We don't talk much baseball now, just an occasional outburst by him towards his beloved Sox team for selling Ruth and trading Ruffing to 'my Yankees' as he refers to them. I've been a Giants fan for years and will remain that way till death.
Part 6
The trip home was long but ended much better than I expected. No one in town cared that I had given up 20 runs, they were proud that I had played a game in the majors alongside the great hometown hero Deacon White. I had a huge gathering of people hang on my every word as I embellished the story of how big their hitters were and what it was like facing them. To tell the truth after the first inning it was all a miserable blur but that crowd didn't want to hear that. My 30 minutes of fame helped me get a permanent spot with the town team and although at the time I wasn't ready to give up a major league career, it just sort of happened that way.
I went on to play almost 15 years for the team, even umpired some. I went 10-0 and walked only 2 batters one year. Now where was that control when the mighty Reds were facing me. Slowly people forgot to add former Major Leaguer before they said my name, and no one has brought it up in many a year. After that season Mr. White retired and moved from Caton,but he was always the towns favorite son and it would be a big deal when he would visit. He even came to see a couple of games later in my career, including the year we won the local championship, which they don't even play for anymore. Years ago, I was able to find an old tobacco card of Deacon and showed it to him after a game, he got quite a kick out of that.
So you see William, your grandfather played baseball in the majors just like I think you will someday. Then you can come back to Caton and be the talk of the town. Now go outside and get that career going, you don't want to be as bad as your grandpa now do you.He smiled and said thanks for the story as he rushed off outside with a new found inspiration to be the best he could.Yup,that kids got quite an arm just like his grandfather did. Sure baseball might've forgotten Ole Tin Can Lewis but I haven't forgotten baseball. Now let me get back to my rocking chair, I have alot of napping to catch up on.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Nice story...

Old 10-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Fun and relaxing read.

Tin Can

Old 10-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

John:

I didn't comment previously because one of us works during the day and one of us doesn't!

By the way, I'm sure it took great restraint not to mention either Larry Corcoran or Old Judge cards by name!

Kevin

Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Thanks for the compliments.

I used to think Kevin worked hard because he told me he did and i had no reason to believe otherwise but if its true then explain how did he go from 112th place to 1st place in only one year,at the national yo-yo championships in Omaha Nebraska.Thats right Kevin,now everyone will know your alias,Calvin Goings,a very clever play on words ill give you that much.

So now i know why Kevin is always using the hands free mode on his phone at 'work'. He tipped me off when the one time he said he was too busy by saying 'They got me going back and forth like a yo-yo' which was followed by an eerie evil 25-30 second laugh that only stopped when i hung up the phone

ps Yes i had to at least throw in a vague reference to Corcoran because somebody wouldve said something about him being on that team,and of course the old judge reference was to make the story more board friendly

Old 10-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErikV.

John,

Excellent Story! Took me a few sittings to read the story completly, but was well worth it. As I was reading the story, I felt myself being taken back to a different time and place, to a period when baseball was not the corporate business that it is today, but rather when it was still a game!

The story didn't have a Cinderella ending, but a "real" flavor to it. I wonder how many former Major Leaguers can relate to this story? Probably quite a few. On the other hand, how many of us fans have a baseball story to tell to our children or grandchildren? Maybe it was our first game we ever went to or being at a ballpark and getting an autograph from a ballplayer. I suppose that's part of the fun of collecting cards too, collecting little pieces of cardboard remind us all of players and moments from our past as well as our National Pastime!

Old 11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I just want to thank John for an enjoyable story about one of my favorite players. There was enough truth cited throughout that I found myself believing all of it. Thanks again, please don't hesitate to write another such article, looking forward