NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Joe

Default SGC Crossover question from a Rookie

I've never submitted anything to a grading company, so take that into consideration in your responses!

I bought a T206 Mathewson graded PSA 3. I really want to get it on an SGC holder as I like their back background holders for that set.

I know there is a process to submit for a crossover and give them a minimum grade. Which I assume with an SGC 40.

Do they make that determination before breaking it out of the case? What happens if they crack it out of the case and then decide it is an SGC 30. Would they return it ungraded?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Brian Dwyer

SGC, or any grading company for that matter, will only break the card out of the holder if it meets or exceeds your stated minimum grade. The graders can examine the card through the holder and make a determination on grade.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrandon1977 View Post

Do they make that determination before breaking it out of the case? What happens if they crack it out of the case and then decide it is an SGC 30. Would they return it ungraded?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Joe, I had SGC make a mistake on a PSA 7 that turned into an SGC Auth after they determined the card was altered. They were great about the error and made good on it. I would say that happens very rarely. Good luck! Dan
Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

cool, another DFW person.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Joe

Thanks guys - that helps me understand the process. But a couple of more questions.

1. Since I have to put a minimum grade on the crossover, knowing it is a PSA 3. Would you recommend I put a SGC 40 on the min grade?

2. If it does not meet the SGC 40 standards, would they send it back in the PSA case?

3. Should I lower my minimum grade to SGC 30 to ensure it gets in an SGC case?

4. Dan, when you said SGC made an error in a crossover, but made good on it. What did they do to make good on it??

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Brian Dwyer

You have to decide what exactly you're looking for in the crossover process. If you don't want to take a hit on grade, then asking for a minimum SGC 40 is your best bet. If you have flexibility, then a grade lower probably increases your chances of a crossover plus they'll still look to give it the highest grade possible. Some people will ask that SGC "crack and grade" a PSA card because they prefer or need the card graded by SGC. Others will request any numerical grade so that it gets in an SGC unless an alteration is detected.

If the card doesn't meet your grade, they'll return it in the PSA case. You will also have to pay again if the card doesn't meet your grade but down the line you decide you wouldn't mind a lower grade.

Brian
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM
David Vargha

1. Since I have to put a minimum grade on the crossover, knowing it is a PSA 3. Would you recommend I put a SGC 40 on the min grade?

If you want the equivalent grade, then yes.

2. If it does not meet the SGC 40 standards, would they send it back in the PSA case?

Yes, unless a mistake is discovered after cracking it open as detailed above.

3. Should I lower my minimum grade to SGC 30 to ensure it gets in an SGC case?

If you want it in an SGC case for certain, don't specify any minimum grade. "Minimum grade" means just that . . . the lowest grade that you will accept on the holder.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Larry

Great information, guys. I've been in the hobby for over 20 years, buy graded stars and hall-of-famers, and had considered but somehow never been involved in the cross-over process. Nice to know how it works and what to expect in advance.

Larry
Old 03-09-2011, 03:44 AM
Dave Fa*st

Maybe things have changed. I had a fairly high priced T206 about five years ago that was in a old Beckett holder. The head grader at SGC gave me a call since I stated on my submission form a minimum crossover grade of the same as it was in the Beckett holder. He told me "the card looked ok, but with the thick Beckett holder, I'm just not going to be 100% sure unless I crack it out....are you ok with that?"

I said yes, go ahead and did some pacing back and forth for the next few minutes...he finally called back and said it did cross at the same grade. But my understanding from that phone call was once he cracked it out and then noticed something on the card that would lower the grade I was just going to be stuck with a raw card unless I agreed to have it slabbed at a lower grade.

The great thing about SGC though is they have always got in touch with me if there has been a question about anything, etc. The times in the past I submitted to PSA, nada.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrandon1977 View Post
Thanks guys - that helps me understand the process. But a couple of more questions.

4. Dan, when you said SGC made an error in a crossover, but made good on it. What did they do to make good on it??

Thanks in advance!
They gave me the difference in the value in SGC credits. That was fine with me since I knew I was going to send in enough cards to use the credits. I'm not sure what they would have done if I wanted the cash. Their customer service is great, I believe they would have come through. BTW, we were talking about $200. Dan