NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Custom made cards with autograph cuts

Wasn’t there someone who was designing their own cards and inserting a cut autograph in to that card? I remember seeing at least one thread a while back, but I can’t seem to find it. Looking for more info and possibly to have some made. Thanks, Jason
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Wasn’t there someone who was designing their own cards and inserting a cut autograph in to that card? I remember seeing at least one thread a while back, but I can’t seem to find it. Looking for more info and possibly to have some made. Thanks, Jason
Tanner is probably the best custom guy out there. I think he made some do it your self cut auto kits that are cheaper than having him design a special card. He is a great guy that I personally have dealt with a few times.

I PMed you his email.

EDIT: This is a link to the do it your self kit cards. http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232061

Last edited by bnorth; 12-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Leaf will even do it for you now:

https://leaftradingcards.com/leaf-cu...ve-collection/
Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 PM
C00per

I enjoy making these and might could help if you need. This was a set that I made from a rodent eaten yearbook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (70.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (16).jpg (74.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (17).jpg (73.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (18).jpg (68.8 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by jdl7860; 12-18-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Manny
Banned

What kind of cardstock is best to use and where can you buy it?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I was recently told by someone who uses them that they'll be discontinuing that service in 2019
Old 12-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
What kind of cardstock is best to use and where can you buy it?
It mainly depends on your printer. Most printers will not feed card stock through them. Plus it depends on what year card you are trying to make a custom of. Personally for most plain cards I use a glossy front and matte back. The really cool shiny cards are several layers thick.

If you want to PM me what exactly you are thinking about making I can offer suggestions.

I buy most of my materials off eBay because I live out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Just to clarify, I am looking to use a photo of a vintage player and insert a cut within that photo, not necessarily a frame for a cut or something. Wasn’t someone else doing something with a photo front? Thanks, Jason
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Maybe something along the lines of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D17BF59E-293A-4A58-990C-94E8983E7BC8.jpg (21.2 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Maybe something along the lines of this.
Do you want to use the actual photo or resize it to card size with a copy? Also do you need the fancy cut out or would a plain rectangle work?

If it is just a resized copy and a rectangle cutout with a blank back I can easily walk you through doing it yourself.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I haven’t given it that much thought. The glossy front isn’t really what I had in mind, but it does look pretty nice on the Broda card. Didn’t give much thought to the back, but a small stats back would be pretty cool. That Broda style card is about exactly what I was thinking. I assume I would have to custom cut around the shape of the autograph cut with a knife. Do you just use some spray adhesive to mold the two pieces together then trim to size?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I haven’t given it that much thought. The glossy front isn’t really what I had in mind, but it does look pretty nice on the Broda card. Didn’t give much thought to the back, but a small stats back would be pretty cool. That Broda style card is about exactly what I was thinking. I assume I would have to custom cut around the shape of the autograph cut with a knife. Do you just use some spray adhesive to mold the two pieces together then trim to size?
Usually I use a high quality shipping label for the front layer. Then use greeting card stock for the center layer. Then use a shipping label for the back layer for a plain card like you described.

The shipping labels already have adhesive on them and you can get them in matte or glossy so you can have the finish you want.

Spray adhesive sucks in my experience. If I need adhesive I use 3M optical clear double sided adhesive.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-18-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Ok. Thanks much. I assume you buy them on eBay and set your printer preferences for the size of the label? PM me if you have a style or seller you normally go through.

Cooper,
Those are nice and I like the backs on them. I would probably use a different front to utilize a photo of the player if I can find one.

Ben,
Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you post some of the ones you made? I am interested to see some different styling ideas.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Ok. Thanks much. I assume you buy them on eBay and set your printer preferences for the size of the label? PM me if you have a style or seller you normally go through.

Cooper,
Those are nice and I like the backs on them. I would probably use a different front to utilize a photo of the player if I can find one.

Ben,
Thanks for all the suggestions. Can you post some of the ones you made? I am interested to see some different styling ideas.

Thanks guys.
Here are a few pics I found on my computer. At the time I did not have the Clemens sweet spot auto pasted down. I was trying to decide if I liked the gold or silver version better. About half the Jay North cards are mine. I also like the Randy Johnson clear Marlboro sign superfractor I made.

I will PM you my email if you have any more questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JNFullRainbow.jpg (77.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg clemensgold.jpg (78.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg hatorade.jpg (75.6 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 12-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:01 AM
M@++ Cyganik

It really depends on the quality you want to do. You can pay $$$ for someone with all the expensive materials to make one close to that the professional companies make. Or if you're like me, I use Gimp to design my template, an inkjet printer set at the highest print quality settings, high gloss photo paper and put together each piece with cardboard backing (like you'd use for a magazine/program/comic book sleeve) in the middle to thicken it up like card stock. I tried spray adhesive for awhile but it comes out better for me personally when I use a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue type stuff. I use a little 1x1 square lever punch to cut the signature frame.

The Cecil Cooper card photo was taken before I glued it together, just showing it as an example of the front/back design for the 1975 Red Sox set I've been working on.

It really just depends on what makes you happy and it's all trial and error. I've been doing these for the last 6 months and still working on improving my photoshop skills and process.

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg
Old 12-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I like it. Those are cool. I’m afraid to ask what Gimp is other than the scene from Pulp Fiction. Can you use that program to move all those borders and photos within the template? I think those designs turned out really good.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:54 PM
M@++ Cyganik

Quote:
I like it. Those are cool. I’m afraid to ask what Gimp is other than the scene from Pulp Fiction. Can you use that program to move all those borders and photos within the template? I think those designs turned out really good.
GIMP is basically a free editing platform akin to Photoshop. You can manipulate photos, create designs and stack layers just like Photoshop and you won't even have to deal with Marsellus Wallace!
Old 12-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I’ll have to take a look at it later.