NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Columbia University silks etc

Posted By: leon

I have a question about Columbia U. items...Scott and I took in a fairly substantial Columbia University collection. It has 100 or more silks, an oversized L1 like item (leather with nice insignia) and many other related items including lots of postcards. ALso there is some pre-1910 basketball stuff and 1940's football program(s).....Any ideas if there is a good market for this kind of stuff?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

Could you be more specific on the pre-1910 basketball stuff?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

All I can tell you is that with vintage football collectors, there is very strong demand for college material. Early Notre Dame or U of Michigan material can be as popular, and even as valuable, as Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions. In baseball memorabilia, college baseball is relatively minor, but in football, and perhaps other sports like basketball, college is in high demand. Columbia is an Ivy League school, so would rank as a popular vintage school. In the old days, the Ivy League was an athletic powerhouse, with Ivy League teams winning a majority of the Pre-WWI national football championships. Lou Gehrig played football and baseball at Columbia in the 1920s and was sometimes called 'Columbia Lou.'

Old 09-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

I will get more specifics this evening on the things we have....The consignor is a friend and I want to do the best I can for him...and if we aren't the right venue then so be it......back in touch this evening on these items...regards

Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Pre- 1910 basketball should be in high demand...1940's football less so. There is a cutoff date where this memorabilia starts to get scarce. It's probably 1920's for college football.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I know of a board member, who you know and went to Columbia.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I'm raising $$ so my wife and myself can have extra to adopt a child(ren) and Leon and myself were both stumped as to some of the items.

After about a 2 hour hash session last night; we figured out most of it. There are still a couple of items we probably need a little more guidance on but for the most (95%) part; we're good to go.

Regards
Rich

Old 09-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

As you know it's a major no-no for any auction house to expose a consignor or bidder and Scott, nor I, will never do that. If a bidder or consignor wants to let folks know then we certainly have no issue with that. I might post a couple things to get some guidance. I should have them loaded this weekend and you and I can go over descriptions. You were right...the pre-1910 basketball will have some lookers...It's always my pleasure when we get together. I look forward to our next Tin Star lunch too......best regards

Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Say- wasn't I the one who mentioned pre-1910 basketball would be desirable? Credit please!

(and please fix the spelling of "university" in your title)

Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Actually Rich said it first but yes, you did...so credit bestowed.

I fixed my typo too...thanks

Have you ever noticed that sometimes we don't see our own obvious typos?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

I'm a good speller but I miss typos left and right...you have no idea how many times I reread my posts before I hit "respond." I think it's partly a visual thing.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

I just wanted to help answer David's question; should have done that on an email.

Eeesh. My bad on this; I'll take the wet noodle lashing.

Rich

Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I love it when people use semi-colons.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

I assumed it was Rich-- the Columbia, Leon, Dallas connection pretty much narrowed it down. Didn't mean to cause big trouble.

Actually, at sale, saying the items come from the collection of a former Beckett editor (or 'national sports magazine editor' to be more anonymous) and Columbia grad would only serve to help sales. At least mention that they are from the collection of a Columbia alum. This is for the same reason that a seller would mention a U of Iowa photo album came from a Iowa City family or an ultra rare SMU football pennants set came from the collection of a SMU Professor. Bidders like to know there is regional provenance to the regional material-- at best it adds credence to the authenticity, and at least it adds regional color.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

My great uncle once adopted a child. He said it was the best decision he ever made.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

That is a good suggestion. Since Rich doesn't mind it being known then Scott and I certainly don't. I think you are correct in adding something to the descriptions about the owner being a Columbia Alum....

Old 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

You could put "Obama went here!" in the title too, it might help. OK, I was joking...but not really.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

No partisan politics in the NET 54 crowd. We've had IKE (university president) and Obama amongst others.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

It would certainly not hurt sales to mention Dwight D. Eisenhower was a President of Columbia. He was German and defeated the Germans, that's got to appease to everyone. He was the first President to win both the pro-German and anti-German vote.

And for your political trivia question of the day: What famous former U.S. big city Mayor (you've all heard of him) won both the Republican and the Democratic nominations in the same year?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm a Democrat, but I LIKE IKE!

Photobucket

PS Barry, you should change your browser over to Firefox, they have a built in spellchecker which will underline any misspelled or questionable word as you type.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I like the old fashioned way of looking something up in the dictionary...I don't want to see us losing the printed word.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

The worst is when the Word dictionary is unable to find a word that even resembles the word you typed out. You fiddle around with letters several times and it still can't find any resemblance to the English language. You're spelling is so bad, it's not even recognized as a misspelling.

Then there are the times you want to find a movie on the shelves and can remember all the words in the title but first one.

Then there was the time I was looking up a word in the dictionary and realized I was looking up the word 'dictionary.' At least I found out what was that thing in my hands.

Did you ever see the episode of the great British historical comedy Blackadder about Samuel Johnson, author of the first English dictionary? The dimwitted servant got a hold of the manuscript and, according to the show, the first word in history ever looked up in a dictionary was 'fart.' The second was 'fornicate.' Also, the main characters thought they accidentally burned the only copy of the dictionary in the fireplace and wrote a new dictionary from scratch in 24 hours in the hopes that Johnson wouldn't notice.