NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2019, 04:12 PM
John

Default Shriner's Show

Any feedback from the show today?
Thanks,
John
Old 11-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Opening day of Shriner's Auditorium Show

Just got back from the Great Boston Sports Collector's Show at Shriner's Auditorium. I arrived later than in years past at noon, and there a long line to get into the show. It did move briskly.

I picked up a Chief Meyers T205 with a Piedmont Factory 42 back from Ed Hans. I have 9 of the possible 10 backs now. Need just a Cycle back to complete my Chief Meyers T205 back run. Ed had the best selection of pre-war cards at the show. He had lots of P2 pins, S74 silks, T210s, a Home Run Kisses card, a D310, T205s, T216s, and numerous caramel cards as well.

In addition, Don Hontz had a great selection of T205s, T206s, and Cracker Jacks.
Furthermore, Steve Verkman had a huge pile of T222 Fatimas at his table.

Plenty of hockey card dealers, and more and more dealers of new shiny issues.

Grabbed a couple of 1" lucite holders and headed home.

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 11-01-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Scott S

I had a nice time at the show for a couple of hours this afternoon - had a nice purchase from Don Hontz as well as a couple of other nice items.

My goal at shows like this is to look for unique items which don't show up on eBay or every auction, along with chatting with friends that I may only see once a year. Both can be very rewarding, and fortunately, both happen at the Shriners show more times than not!
Old 11-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Brian

I was there for a couple hours yesterday. More busy than I expected for a Friday. Getting out of Boston at rush hour sucked though.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Jim B.

Was there today - very busy!!! Picked up a nice 1969 Topps 4in1 Pete Rose and some 1935 Schutter Johnsons for my set.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Show was great! Lots of good conversations.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:04 PM
John

Default Shriner's show

Just got back from the show got to hang out with Dave & Meri and the living legend Robert Thing from the great state of Maine.
John, Kyle and Mike
There was a big line for Kemba Walker.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Jimmy

I was at the show Friday, hard to look and it was very busy. Defiantly surprised at the crowd for a Friday. Only spent a few hours to beat the Boston traffic south through town. Sent in a handful of cards with SGC, line was short and then was out the door. Enjoyed briefly talking with Paul, Steve, Alan and a few others. Vintage selection was good, limited on 19th cent which is what I was interested in seeing. Unfortunately more and more modern stuff is showing up at this show. Did see more auction houses this year, and noticed they all ended up taken a good amount of space.

Jimmy
Old 11-03-2019, 04:57 AM
Bobby Binder

Just curious if you can tell me how was your phone connection inside the venue? Did you get 5G?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Jim B.

Oh and the PSA submission line was about 30 deep at 1PM yesterday. None of the recent card doctoring events seem to have affected them.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Troy Rambo

Was there yesterday and it was a good mix of stuff there! Only picked up one card but had a great time talking to many, many people!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

It was a fun show this year, had a great time. One dealer had a mid-1920's full Homestead Grays uniform. Apparently it is a new find and really nice.

I agree, didn't see a lot of 19th Century cards, and both SGC and PSA had strong customer lines. Too much new stuff for my tastes and inflated prices. There were some disgruntled collectors and a few dealers with regard to Hobby prices and what's going on with the grading companies, etc, but overall it was packed.

There were deals, but you had to look for them and honestly, it was a show where you really needed to take your time.

I generally complain about the prices at shows to begin with and mostly have an easier time getting what I want or need on ebay. With that said, ebay has nothing on the people you'll meet at a show, and this one probably being the largest in New England, was excellent! The loudspeakers dont sound like that SNL skit about the MBTA train conductors but they still need to work on the lighting -got Joe vs the Volcano office vibes while trying to see any flaws in what I was looking at.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Alan Elefson

I had a great time and was there all three days. I saw many Net54ers (and I apologize if I forgot someone) including Steve, Jimmy, Toby, Don, Ed, Ryan, Murph, Joe, and Steven. I mainly went to sell as I am working on a large purchase (for me at least) of 1870s letters with good baseball content but I did buy a circa 1930s homemade Babe Ruth metal plaque and a 1920s Braves poster.

The selling was very easy for me this time. I brought in a 6 foot tall bat I had purchased at Brimfield and sold it to the second dealer I showed it to at double my purchase price. I also sold a Blatz Beer figural item (the one with the cans and bottle with arms and legs) very quickly (first dealer I showed it to) and three 1945 scorecards from the California Winter League with Jackie Robinson in the lineups among other items.

I can't wait until the Spring show!

Alan
Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
I had a great time and was there all three days. I saw many Net54ers (and I apologize if I forgot someone) including Steve, Jimmy, Toby, Don, Ed, Ryan, Murph, Joe, and Steven. I mainly went to sell as I am working on a large purchase (for me at least) of 1870s letters with good baseball content but I did buy a circa 1930s homemade Babe Ruth metal plaque and a 1920s Braves poster.

The selling was very easy for me this time. I brought in a 6 foot tall bat I had purchased at Brimfield and sold it to the second dealer I showed it to at double my purchase price. I also sold a Blatz Beer figural item (the one with the cans and bottle with arms and legs) very quickly (first dealer I showed it to) and three 1945 scorecards from the California Winter League with Jackie Robinson in the lineups among other items.

I can't wait until the Spring show!

Alan
Hey Al, missed you on Sat but did see that HUGE wooden bat you mentioned. Awesome man cave addition for the buyer, noticed he also still had the Cy Young booklet. Another good show. Saw some fellow 54`ers and as usual the best gathering of vintage materials in N E for the year. Made a couple purchases and enjoyed talking with dealers as well as some patrons. On a side note, Frank Viola is one big dude.