NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Default 10 tips to a greater enjoyment of your collection

I read with great interest the recent thread on collecting: journey vs. destination or in other words hunt vs the kill. While I have and still enjoy the journey, I decided a number of years ago to try to increase my enjoyment of what I have. Here is what I've done and it has kept me active in the hobby for many years.
1) Collect what you will enjoy owning and showing off.
2) Display if memorabilia and occasionally or frequently look at your cards
3) Research the players on the cards you collect or the card sets themselves
4) Show off your collection with interested persons
5) Have a collecting buddy or two, who appreciate your collection and appreciate theirs
6) Start a blog or read a blog of someone who has common interests.
7) Explain to a non-collector how the ungraded card you have is worth a fraction of a graded card that sold for $$$$ at a recent auction
8) Tell anyone who will listen stories behind some of your favorite acquisitions
9) Collect something related that is inexpensive and fun such as a bobblehead or magazine ad of your favorite player
10) read Net 54 threads especially when it touches on something you collect
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

what a well thought-out list of pointers.

Well done!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin53 View Post
I 10000000000000% agree with this, and cannot stress it enough. There are so many little-known facts about each player, especially Pre-War, that are FASCINATING.

My first ever T206 was a Neal Ball (Cleveland). I researched and researched and researched to find a player with a cool story behind him. Ball was the first person credited with an unassisted triple play. Cy Young was the pitcher, and Shoeless Joe was in the OF. Ball was the only player to run off the field, as everyone else stood in dismay, confused by what just happened.

Get to know the players on your cards - you never know what you'll learn.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
what a well thought-out list of pointers.

Well done!

Thanks for sharing!
+1
Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Bill Avery

Kyle that is what I did with my first T206. I went with Harry Howell because the story of how he ended up ban from baseball is really funny when you get into the fine details. Now every time I buy a prewar card baseball or other sport I try to find out as much as I can about the players behind the card.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Collecting rules to live by. Nice list!

I might also add

11) Attend a local card show when you can, and, if possible, attend the National Convention which is held every year.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Kyle that is what I did with my first T206. I went with Harry Howell because the story of how he ended up ban from baseball is really funny when you get into the fine details. Now every time I buy a prewar card baseball or other sport I try to find out as much as I can about the players behind the card.
My uncle bought me a Harry Howell this past Christmas, and I immediately dug into his background/story.

My fiancee actually spent hours the other day researching 10 different players, looking for ones with cool stories to buy me. She knows I like players with stories, and with my collection being comparatively small to many, it helps me stay focused and on track.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin53 View Post
To expand upon this point, frequently read the backs of your old cards. So many little pieces of cool (and sometimes bizarre) info is found right there. Good stuff!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:20 PM

For example, I learned a lot about Eskimo Women by reading the back of this non-sports card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eskimo woman.jpg (46.2 KB, 297 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Sean Costello

OMG! Seriously, every once in a while this hobby reminds me of how badly people were treated 100 years ago ( think Dummy Taylor, Nig Clarke, or anyone called Chief).

It makes me wonder how we'll be seen in 2117.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM
John Mavroudis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
For example, I learned a lot about Eskimo Women by reading the back of this non-sports card
Here's hoping the "Eskimo Women" cornered Albert Operti near a glacier and allowed him live his final hours on an ice floe.

www.zenpop.com
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I 10000000000000% agree with this, and cannot stress it enough. There are so many little-known facts about each player, especially Pre-War, that are FASCINATING.

Get to know the players on your cards - you never know what you'll learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
To expand upon this point, frequently read the backs of your old cards. So many little pieces of cool (and sometimes bizarre) info is found right there. Good stuff!!
I couldn't agree more as well. When I began collecting again, early last year, I was on a mission just to collect as many 52 Topps as I could.
When Frank on here listed/PM'd me about some of his cards, he mentioned he would like to keep his Waitkus card due to what was written on the back about the "Crazed girl"
I told him I had never heard/read that story so I Googled it and read the back of the card. Needless to say, despite Frank's wishes, I purchased the card as I also thought that would be a great card to own. I now try and read every card back I receive, and am still going through the ones I already own.

With my collecting slowing down somewhat, I am now spending more time organizing, reading and researching the players on my cards, which has lead me to read some pretty great stories!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ed Waitkus.jpg (74.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Deranged girl.jpg (79.1 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by irv; 03-27-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Or sometimes you can find recipes for dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PuppyStew.jpg (50.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM

Hi Taylor - That card came to my mind as well. Just couldn't bring myself to post it, so I stuck with the Eskimo Woman!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Highjacked by Eskimo women

I see my thread has been hijacked by Eskimo women ! Nevertheless, great comments and am glad we are having fun with our hobby.