NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 AM
James Gallo

Default Damn SMR Prices

So I have recently been hit with 3-4 ebay buyers quoting me SMR prices on some of the cracker jacks I have for sale.

I try to be nice and let people know the prices are way off but I wonder how the rest of you deal with this problem.

I mean the listed prices are either half or less then what the card sell for, so when some offers you "guide" value how do you respond?

It has kinda bothered me as it has happened several times in the last 10 days.

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 06-15-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:33 AM
M@rk Lu7z

To back up your claim that SMR is way off base, you could offer to buy any of their CJ's for the SMR price, plus 10%.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I often do what Mark said

Let them know you'll pay at least smr for the cards therefore you obviously can not sell them for guide prices. I have also explained that its just a guide. If they get surly I will often tell them to call PSA, or beckett if that's what they keep quoting, and see how many they can buy for that price.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Frank Wakefield

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-15-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Frank Wakefield

James, are your cards on eBay in an auction or BuyItNow?

If BuyItNow, you might consider offering a card at auction to see what price it brings. There might be some middle ground between you and the SMR... Let one of the complainers know that you're auctioning the card, so he can see what it brings.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 AM
qualitycards

James you can quote them VCP prices on cards that have sold.

Its funny on a chunk of the modern stuff like '70's to present
the SMR is too high and some sellers (like myself) are discounting
cards and lots to move them. I'd be delighted to get full SMR on that stuff
Old 06-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
To back up your claim that SMR is way off base, you could offer to buy any of their CJ's for the SMR price, plus 10%.
In the past, on certain CJs (i.e. PSA 1 Joe Jax), I have offered 3x SMR to show how off base SMR is.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Alan U

I think you politely decline their offers and move on. Most people buying CJ's are somewhat sophisticated buyers and know the actual market.

Same thing happens on the other end when SMR"s are way over the actual market prices and seller's use the SMR's for the basis of their selling prices.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Bobby Binder

If they are using SMR then they are most likely members of the CU board. Tell them to do a search over there for VCP and they will find most members use us as their price guide. But they already know this and are just using the SMR to get you to lower your price.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM

I believe most CU members know the SMR is off. They have threads about it once in a while.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
So I have recently been hit with 3-4 ebay buyers quoting me SMR prices on some of the cracker jacks I have for sale.

I try to be nice and let people know the prices are way off but I wonder how the rest of you deal with this problem.

I mean the listed prices are either half or less then what the card sell for, so when some offers you "guide" value how do you respond?

It has kinda bothered me as it has happened several times in the last 10 days.

James G
I have been selling T 205 graded by SGC at SMR and above todate, maybe I should be higher. Good question Jim.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Bobby Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
I have been selling T 205 graded by SGC at SMR and above todate, maybe I should be higher. Good question Jim.
Then your customer love buying from you.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:14 PM

I agree that SMR is off on some stuff. Cracker Jacks are a classic example, and I started a thread on another BB about how off the guides were on CJ.

For other stuff - even pre-war like T206 and T205, it is a lot closer to reality.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Drew S.

I was reading this thread about SMR and responses to potential buyers. My response would be to politely decline the offer and simply state that it is the price you would like to get for the card. After all it is your card and you can list it for whatever you want.

As far as the SMR is concerned, I have seen/experienced dealers most recently at the Philly show, telling individuals with cards to sell or trade that they will only pay X% of SMR or asking what % of SMR are they asking for. Many cards always sell for b/t 3-5x's SMR. In my case a dealer approached me unsolicited as I was picking my cards up from SGC. Bottom line, as was stated earlier, SMR is a guide and should be used as such. I personally will read it, then toss it out when I am done. I don't have a problem paying what a card is worth to me which in some instances can be 20% of a guide like SMR or 5-6x's SMR. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
James Gallo

I get all the ins and out and the "guide" response. However I find it tough when some says well your card is only in the guide for $1000, why do you want double that price? The gap is SO large that it's hard for me not to laugh and just blow them off.

I recently had someone tell me an SGC 30 1915 Matty was only worth 300. I guess it's just like any other low ball offer, but these are people that apprently know what their doing and yet really have no clue.

When I got back into collecting I realized very quickly that SMR was way off on everything except maybe the mid years 50s-80s.

I just wish the prices were a little closer especially since they now have the grades down to poor. Anyone want to sell me a CJ Jackson, I will pay double SMR :-)

James G
Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Jeff

It has been years since I have even picked up a SMR. What I seem to be hearing is that the price guide is basically useless to most informed buyers/sellers. So giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they are newbies but could quite possibly be someone trying to grab a deal from someone. A polite decline is in order I think.

The road runs both ways though. How many times have you made a very fair offer to a seller based on real world sales history for a like card to be told, "I can't take that. I've got more than that in it!"

At the end of the day regardless of guides, VCPs or anything else, it comes down to what one is willing to take that day for that card.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Ja,mie B.

I find it most frustrating. I mean, what is the point of having a price guide with the wrong prices? You really have to go by VCP these days to have any grasp of what the cards are really worth.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have emailed Joe Orlando several times and told him that SMR is grossly wrong on CJs, and I am sure others have as well, and I have given him a variety of examples of actual sales -- to no avail it seems. He keeps saying thank you I will look into it or to that effect.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Fred

Isn't the SMR like AWM?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Pup6913

MArket values. Buy and sell at what the market is selling at. SMR and Beckett and Tuff Stuff are all wrong. I do not buy from book dealers who rely on a book to give them pricing. Why not do the research and sell the cards at or maybe a small % above market sale. By the way SMR is not even close to T205 correct pricing!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Andy Palmer

While I use these books as "guides", I mainly use the advanced search link on eBAY to find out my prices. Usually something of equal stature has been sold in the past 30 days on the site and it gives a pretty good indicator of the going price. But to get mad at someone for charging what they think their card is worth? I've got better things to do with my life. Z.

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Mike

[I][I][I][I]MArket values. Buy and sell at what the market is selling at. SMR and Beckett and Tuff Stuff are all wrong. I do not buy from book dealers who rely on a book to give them pricing. Why not do the research and sell the cards at or maybe a small % above market sale. By the way SMR is not even close to T205 correct pricing!!!!!!!

I've Been buying T205 cards on ebay and on Net 54 for a while and they are selling for at least 25% less then SMR, for commons and star players 3' 4's and 5's. SMR can be off on the upside and the down side. I hear the same opinion that they are way off when your selling, But I never hear that there off(lower) when your buying. Look at the BST on T-205's in the past few month's and you will see that the selling prices are well below book value SMR for t-205's. With the exception of high grade cards and rare cards.
All opionion welcomed.

Last edited by brookdodger55; 08-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Market values that are inaccurate and not researched should not be printed.