NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Whatever. To me it's meaningless. The regular season, especially in the NBA where half the league makes the playoffs, is pretty meaningless. Half of those wins were against horrible teams whose seasons were over and could not have cared less and just wanted to get it over with. If Curry et al can win back to back titles, that will be something significant.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-08-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Whatever. To me it's meaningless. The regular season, especially in the NBA where half the league makes the playoffs, is pretty meaningless. Half of those wins were against horrible teams whose seasons were over and could not have cared less and just wanted to get it over with. If Curry et al can win back to back titles, that will be something significant.
I disagree. A championship is clearly more important. But the most wins in league history? That's pretty impressive. Half of any teams wins were against similar teams that weren't competitive. Many teams have won back to back titles. Someone wins a title every year. Only 1 has won 72 games before.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-08-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I disagree. A championship is clearly more important. But the most wins in league history? That's pretty impressive. Half of any teams wins were against similar teams that weren't competitive. Many teams have won back to back titles. Someone wins a title every year. Only 1 has won 72 games before.
Can you name without looking the major league baseball record for wins in a season?
Old 04-08-2016, 03:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Can you name without looking the major league baseball record for wins in a season?
I believe the Mariners broke that record one year after griffey left. I can't name the year but think the total was 114.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 04-08-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I believe the Mariners broke that record one year after griffey left. I can't name the year but think the total was 114.
Nope number is wrong. qed

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-08-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

I looked it up after I posted, looks like they tied the Cubs record of 116 wins, although with 10 more losses. I see your point, but I think there is more significance to this record as it breaks the Bulls record with Jordan.

More people would remember those Mariners had they won the series.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I looked it up after I posted, looks like they tied the Cubs record of 116 wins, although with 10 more losses. I see your point, but I think there is more significance to this record as it breaks the Bulls record with Jordan.

More people would remember those Mariners had they won the series.
exactly my point!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
The 2001 Mariners won 116 games. I remember the season very well. The M's lost their last game of the regular season, and failed to eclipse the Cubs record. They faced the New York Yankees in the ALCS and lost 4-2 in a playoff series with a great deal of patriotic fervor after 9/11.

I agree with you on this point, if Golden State loses one of their final three games, and fail to best the 95-96 Bulls, it will dampen their spirits. Even if they best the record, but do not win the championship, they may be remembered as an anomaly like the 2001 Mariners. However, I do not see a team that can beat them in a seven game series with home court.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-08-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
I think I could, at least from 1900 on. I'd guess Ed Walsh, as I know he had 40. I think Jack Chesbro also had 40.

Pre 1800? I would have no idea. Pud Galvin?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Bill Gregory

73 wins is incredible, no matter how you cut it. But for this season to be truly "one for the ages", they need to carry that dominance over to the playoffs, and win it all. The '95-'96 Bulls that won 72 games only lost one game in the first three rounds of the playoffs, and went 15-3 overall in winning the NBA Championship.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I think I could, at least from 1900 on. I'd guess Ed Walsh, as I know he had 40. I think Jack Chesbro also had 40.

Pretty sure he's talking about team wins which are the Cubs and Mariners (think 116?).. Think been mentioned earlier in this thread too)

... But pitching yes, is Chesbro for post 1900, Old Hoss Radbourn has pre-1900 mark. I'm pretty sure I've seen Hoss's listed anywhere from 61 down to 58. Think it's officially 59 now. Old Hoss also liked to flip the bird whenever he got the shot. Seemed quite the character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Team wins.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Noel

Default Bulls

Didnt the '96 Bulls lose 2 games at home? Although I dont expect it I certainly think the Warriors are capable of beating SA at home. Heck, the Warriors are almost unbeatable against the best teams in the NBA. It is a good thing they wont be facing the Lakers or Timberwolves in the first round.