NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Actually gold is one of the best metals there is when it comes to making an alloy durable. Gold is a mechanical ingredient in many things, including your smart phone.
+1

Silver too
Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Was an article last year about the absolute worst things to have collected in the last 50 years. Had to send a copy to my parents as they touched most of the bases. Hummels. Yadro. Norman Rockwell plates. Check check check.

Beanie babies were there of course. But the biggest disaster was Thomas Kinkaid paintings. What a debacle that turned into. People were paying big bucks for those and the market just got saturated. Every shopping mall in America was selling them. Poor guy died before it all collapsed. Probably for the better.
The king of kitsch! I was only a kid during the Kinkade craze and had no insights to what passed for good art (still probably don't) but I still remember thinking how cheesy the one my great aunt had in her living room looked.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I'm sorry I didn't make my post more clear. The economy has absolutely been improving recently, but for the good part of two decades, it was in decline/stagnant, yet prices still increased on these cards.

I think my generation, as much as I try to distance myself from them, learned from their parents' errors when it came to card collecting, and are going for the timeless, classic cards that are no longer being produced and show true history.
Always good to come across another self hating millennial lol. I totally agree with you on all points.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Pete Sycks

I always tell people at shows that vintage cards (for the most part) will never go down. Cobb / Ruth / Mantle can't do anything anymore to negatively affect their value while Trout / Harper / Strasburg, etc can blow out a knee / arm for a pitcher and they could be done. Name 1 high profile Ruth / Mantle / Cobb / Matty, etc that has lost value over the last 10 years?

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
The king of kitsch! I was only a kid during the Kinkade craze and had no insights to what passed for good art (still probably don't) but I still remember thinking how cheesy the one my great aunt had in her living room looked.
Has a client once with 7 or 8 of them throughout her home. With big lights over them. She and her husband walked me through the house like it was the Louve.

Of course the guy had more talent in on nail then I will ever ever have so not trying to bad mouth him at all.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Sean McGinty

I count myself among those predicting things will go down.

In the short term (next year or two) the tax cuts and good employment situation will probably lead to a bump in prices, but in the long term its hard to find any indicators which don't look negative.

The baby boomer's reaching their predicted life expectancy is a big one. All the comments I've read here point to that as a demand problem (these people will stop buying cards when they die) but the bigger problem is on the supply side.

Its safe to say that the majority of vintage cards out there are in the hands of baby boomers. When that generation passes away, most of those cards are going to become part of their estates. Probably some heirs will decide to keep them but I would guess that the majority wouldn't be interested in or financially able to sit on valuable cards.

So you're probably going to see a flood of estate sales full of baseball card collections.

This hasn't really happened to the baseball card hobby before because the boomers were the first generation to collect en masse. But if you look at other, older, hobbies like stamp collecting this has been an issue for a while and prices there reflect that (the relationship between catalog prices and actual prices for stamps is so fictitious it makes Beckett or PSA's prices look like they were made with laser like precision).

Some people have said that younger people do collect, which is true, but the problem is that in order for prices to be maintained over the long term you need each subsequent generation of collectors to be at least the same size as, or larger than, the one that precedes it. Every indication we have is that the opposite is going on. Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of millenials out there who collect baseball cards, but there just aren't as many as there are Generation Xers or Boomers.

So when all those Boomer collections show up in estate sales, there just aren't going to be enough buyers around to keep prices what they are now.

Another thing worth noting is that the baseball card market is one in which marginal swings in demand can have disproportionate effects on price. Like a 5% increase in the number of collectors chasing a given card won't lead to a 5% increase in price but more like a 50% or even 500% increase because just adding one or two determined bidders to an auction often causes them (the auctions, not the bidders) to explode.

That also works the other way though. Just take 5% of the demand away from a given card ( or set or whatever) and it won't just cause the price to go down 5%, it will cause it to collapse. So these generational changes pose a risk of really causing a disproportionate effect on prices.

You also have to kind of draw a line between the "rich people" part of the hobby and the "everyone else" part. The latter part is much more vulnerable to this than the former. So long as you've got a few millionaires/billionaires chasing vanity projects then the top high end market probably won't be affected much by these generational shifts. But the mid to lower end stuff is really likely to tank. A PSA 9 1952 Topps Mantle will probably keep its value (bar some cataclysmic event that shatters civilization as we know it) but a PSA 4 1967 Topps Mantle is probably going to be a very cheap item in the near future.

You also have a ton of cultural and other shifts that don't look good. Baseball isn't as popular as it once was, people spend more of their time in the digital world and have less time and interest in collecting physical objects, cards in particular have lost their function as a source of information sharing, etc etc.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I think its funny when the 'hobby not going down' in flames guys say in not so many words the 'key vintage historical' cards will keep their value etc

What we talking about .1 of 1 percent of cards out there? The T206 Wagner going up doesnt impact most people here on net54 or the Babe ruth rookie..

also what exactly are the key cards everyone seems to agree will always have value....there will be difference of opinion once you get to the 4th or 5th card...

The t206 Wagner is more than a baseball card , its not really apples to apples to say if that card does great so does the hobby....its in a special world as well as those other 'key cards' that everyone thinks they will agree on but they wont..

Most cards will go down as collections start hitting the market from people that inherited them etc..

As far as the hobby is concerned, the canary in the coal mine to me what a rookie Frank Robinson will go for 15 years from now in a PSA 8 etc....great player and big prices now..... ...commenting on T206 Wagners is pointless to me as far as how it relates into the health into the hobby as a whole...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Joshua

[In the short term (next year or two) the tax cuts and good employment situation will probably lead to a bump in prices, but in the long term its hard to find any indicators which don't look negative.]

Except for the global coordination in economic improvement, when was the last time we were ALL firing on all cylinders? Its gone longer than anyone expected, and likely to go longer than anyone expected. But that's the optimist in me.

[The baby boomer's reaching their predicted life expectancy is a big one. All the comments I've read here point to that as a demand problem (these people will stop buying cards when they die) but the bigger problem is on the supply side.]

We are not all going to die in the same time, I expect a transitory orderly process. On the demand side, there are new collectors coming in the market, thanks to the modern cards.

[I think its safe to say that the majority (in terms of value) of vintage cards out there are in the hands of baby boomers. When that generation passes away, most of those cards are going to become part of their estates.]

I believe in an orderly distribution and consolidation. I probably will hold my cards for my son, and I will just turn 40 this year.From channel checks (facebook groups) there are many vintage collectors our there younger than me.

[Those estates will pass to their heirs. Probably some will decide to keep them but I would guess that the majority wouldn't be interested in or financially able to sit on valuable cards.]

This I agree, but not material.

So you're probably going to see a flood of estate sales full of baseball card collections.

This hasn't really happened to the baseball card hobby before because the boomers were the first generation to collect en masse. But if you look at other, older, hobbies like stamp collecting this has been an issue for a while and prices there reflect that (the relationship between catalog prices and actual prices for stamps is so fictitious it makes Beckett or PSA's prices look like they were made with laser like precision).

[Some people have said that younger people do collect, which is true, but the problem is that in order for prices to be maintained over the long term you need each subsequent generation of collectors to be at least the same size as, or larger than, the one that precedes it.]

I think their ability to buy cards will grow along with their income. So they will "fit" into our shoes. Give it time.

[So when all those Boomer collections show up in estate sales, there just aren't going to be enough buyers around to keep prices what they are now.]

Valid headwind, like stocks when there is distribution, there will also be consolidation into stronger hands.

[Another thing worth noting is that the baseball card market is one in which marginal swings in demand can have disproportionate effects on price. Like a 5% increase in the number of collectors chasing a given card won't lead to a 5% increase in price but more like a 50% or even 500% increase (I'm pulling these numbers out of a hat to illustrate the point and not because they are accurate) because just adding one or two determined bidders to an auction often causes them (the auctions, not the bidders) to explode.]

I disagree, prices in all assets move on a random walk, not linearly.

That also works the other way though. Just take 5% of the demand away from a given card ( or set or whatever) and it won't just cause the price to go down 5%, it will cause it to collapse. So these generational changes pose a risk of really causing a disproportionate effect on prices.

[You also have a ton of cultural and other shifts that don't look good. Baseball isn't as popular as it once was, people spend more of their time in the digital world and have less time and interest in collecting physical objects, cards in particular have lost their function as a source of information sharing, etc etc.]

Baseball is in decline, but its still part of history and will still be relevant after we die.

Just my one cent.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I understand the sentiment behind Adam's point on it being "pointless to predict the future," but it's hard for me to think it's pointless for not having some thought about the future stability of these assets. If I had no regard for future value, I'd feel like I'd be doing my family a great disservice by being reckless with my spending.

I, like others, am bullish, at least when it comes to high-eye-appeal HoFers from popular sets. The biggest spenders I've met in the hobby happen to cluster in age from late 30s to late 40s. These dudes have a deep passion for the sport of baseball and for collecting. It's not a phase for them. They will outlive boomers. It's a small sample size, but I think it's indicative of a bigger trend of dudes coming into money and trying to reconnect with meaningful sh*t from the past. Bottom line, I think we'll be fine for at least another 40 years; at least that's what I tell myself and my wife.
I agree. The biggest spenders I know are in their late 30s to mid-50's. i think this is only natural, considering these are the peak financial years for an adult male. Sean did raise some interesting issues about supply going up as the baby-boomers' collections make their way back into market. But I don't think this will affect the values of rare cards, high end cards, or cards of the legends.

Last edited by orly57; 02-21-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Baby boomers' collections have been coming onto the market for a long time now.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default the future

Who knows? For years, my dad spent time and money on a tremendous collection of stamps that now has very little value. I wish he had collected impressionist paintings, but he had a great time with stamps. If you collect baseball cards because you think it's cool as hell to have a t206 set or some rarer set, then you are doing great. It would, however, be very risky to count on selling the cards in 20 years to fund your retirement.

Personally, I think that baseball is here to stay (at least for another 100 years) and that the always increasing US population will produce enough collectors to support the prices of the most appealing and famous old cards. But I certainly am not banking on it, and I don't put money that I can't afford to lose into them or into memorabilia. (at least I try not to do that)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Good point Peter.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Baby boomers' collections have been coming onto the market for a long time now.
No way..... (I have my collection sale bookmarked )

Last edited by Leon; 02-21-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post

We are not all going to die in the same time, I expect a transitory orderly process. On the demand side, there are new collectors coming in the market, thanks to the modern cards.
Of course not everyone from a generation is going to die at the same time, but statistically we can say with a very high degree of confidence that a large percentage of them are going to be dying within a time frame of a few years.

And I think its quite unrealistic to expect the number of new collectors entering the market to be enough to replace (or exceed) the number leaving. Modern cards (if that is what is going to draw them as you say) just aren't the cultural staple that they were pre-1990s anymore. While I'm sure there are lots of individual young collectors picking up the hobby, it isn't anything like the shared cultural experience that I had of baseball cards as a kid (I'm 41). Everyone collected baseball cards on the playground until about 20-25 year ago. Since then, its been more of a niche thing, which means it is appealing to a much smaller segment of that demographic than it was for earlier ones. Unless there is some secret society of young card collectors ou there that I am not aware of.

Quote:
From channel checks (facebook groups) there are many vintage collectors our there younger than me.
This is a problem of information availability. We have no direct data on the number of collectors out there, so we rely on anecdotal personal experience (like checking Facebook groups) and try to extrapolate from that. The problem is that we can't conclude from there mere fact that some younger collectors exist that they constitute a mass large enough to replace the baby boomers in the market. Other anecdotal evidence (which is also problematic but the best we have) suggests that isn't the case.

Quote:
I think their ability to buy cards will grow along with their income. So they will "fit" into our shoes. Give it time.
Of course the younger generation will have more income as they progress through their careers, but the question is whether or not they will want to spend that income on baseball cards. Some undoubtedly will. From what I have seen, I doubt that enough will to replace the hole that the baby boomers will leave in the market a few years from now. I just don't know how you are going to convince millions of millenials (and whatever they call the generation after them) to get interested enough in this thing that most of them don't care about, to start spending the kind of money that boomers did to create the prices that exist today. It just doesn't even remotely seem plausible.

Quote:

I disagree, prices in all assets move on a random walk, not linearly.
I didn't describe a linear movement, I described an exponential movement.

But that aside, random walk theory actually applies to stock prices and not all assets. I agree that trying to predict the values of individual cards in the future is a fool's errand, but that is not what I am trying to do, I'm just saying that the overall market faces a lot of factors that will likely put downward pressure on prices over time.

Quote:
Baseball is in decline, but its still part of history and will still be relevant after we die.

Just my one cent.
True, but the relative value that people place on it as part of history is decreasing and its likely this has some (as yet unquantifiable) effect on their willingness to buy baseball cards!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Sean, why do you think the card market requires “millions of millenials” to keep prices strong? I’d bet that the card market today is influenced by less than 250000 collectors, perhaps fewer.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Sean, why do you think the card market requires “millions of millenials” to keep prices strong? I’d bet that the card market today is influenced by less than 250000 collectors, perhaps fewer.
That number sounds reasonably plausible. But those 250,000 (or so) dedicated collectors emerged out of an initial base of millions of children who had cards as kids, with their numbers being whittled away as they grew up and many lost interest.

So I wouldn't say that you need millions of young people to become serious collectors to sustain it. But if you want to keep that 250,000 number of regular collectors, you do at least need a much larger cohort of young people to at least dabble in card collecting at some point so that they can decide if its something that they like or not, on the assumption from past experience that only a small number of those who dabble will go on to become regular collectors. That is where I get that "millions" number from.

I live in Japan so my direct knowledge of what young people in the US are doing these days is limited, but my impression is that there are nowhere near the same number of young people being exposed to the hobby like they used to.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-21-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 PM
Joshua

Hi Sean,

I don't thing they will immediately die off. I am hopeful advancing med tech will not only prolong life, but also improve it. Regardless, many baby boomers are already paring down/selling their collections or handing them down, as this board has suggested.

There is more information now than ever, we affectionally call it "big data." You can see how many members are in facebook groups, how many podcasts or apps are being downloaded, online bid volume trends, what cards are being liked, tweeted or instagrammed. What did we have before? card convention attendance counts? Definitely more information now than ever. The issue is how to find it and do you want to pay up for it.

Regarding where the next generation will choose to spend their money, I do agree with you. There is a change from homes, extra cars and purses towards experiences like dining out and travel. Definitely a shift in preferences, but we haven't been mainstream anyways after the junk bond, whoops I mean junk card rally and collapse.

Not to bring in finance, but random walk applies to efficient market hypothesis, not stocks, so it applies to all assets and not just stocks. Stocks are a key example illustrating an efficient market. Whether or not they really are is not the debate (because if they were, I wouldn't have a job).

WRT historical value, I have never seen Ruth play, but I enjoy learning his history and appreciate his cards. So I believe there is enough intrinsic value in his cards for me that I am willing to pay up (my discretionary income for). That aside, I don't think relative value and willingness has been decreasing, we have seen record breaking after record breaking auction prices.

Great debate. Cheers!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
Jason B.

Like all of us, who knows how the factors will all end up playing out for the hobby in general. I hope it continues to be sustainable, and doesn't die a slow death as other peer hobbies have such as stamps and, to a much lesser degree, coins.

I certainly think it's optimistic to expect vintage to continue to appreciate as it has done in the past 5 years. I got back into cards full-throttle in about 2011/2012 and it was phenomenal timing -- a good bulk of those purchases from 2011-2015 have increased by 70-100% in value in the last few years. My personal feeling is that we are on the back end of the recent run-up in prices, and folks who were able to be drawn in to spend considerable amounts in the market have indeed been drawn in. Were prices to continue accelerating at current rate, I would personally take a hard look at the wisdom of continuing to be in a strong acquisition mode.

A reckoning certainly came in 2008 by all accounts, and we also had a significant correction in post-war prices after the "alleged" market manipulation in Spring 2016 on certain cards (Rose, Aaron, Clemente RC's, etc.). It was actually reassuring to see the market find a new level after that fiddling, and then relative stability, albeit still with some soft pricing on those cards in particular.

Some food for thought, courtesy of my cousin who is a PhD Social Psychologist and always good for a fresh perspective... The group characteristics of the Millenial generation are truly different from the generations prior (BB, GenX, GenY), insofar as they choose to prioritize Experiences over Material Goods. As apparent proof of this, they spend a disproportionate amount of their disposable income on Vacations/Travel, etc. Not sure where a baseball card fits into that ethos... Certainly doesn't preclude individuals behaving differently, blah, blah, but this is an apparent reality.

Last random thought, as a late GenX'er it's interesting to think back and recall the mid/late 80's and early 90's. I recall that absolutely *everyone* was buying/collecting baseball cards. Not to get rich, but it was a cultural phenomenon. It was an absolute fantasy for me to ever think of owning a Mantle. I still remember the awe I felt when a friend told me he had a beat-up '58 Maris (and the thrill when he finally sold it to me for $35 and about 5 Todd Zeile Score Rookies...). Card collecting seems a lot more compartmentalized today, but I do expect that a good number of those who collect modern today will someday hear the siren song of vintage.

Let's hope the numbers bear out enough willing collectors to dedicate their disposable income to vintage to keep us ticking along, or at least keep our heads above water.

Oh, and for a prediction, I'll throw out my suspicion that high-end vintage commons (8's, 9's, 10's) will crash and burn someday price-wise. Right or wrong, I'll go with that.
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Hi Sean,

I don't thing they will immediately die off. I am hopeful advancing med tech will not only prolong life, but also improve it. Regardless, many baby boomers are already paring down/selling their collections or handing them down, as this board has suggested.
I'm all for that! If I don't make it to 90 I'll be very disappointed

But my point is that even if it doesn't happen all at once, and even if cards are disposed of via gifts rather than through estates, there will be a lot more of them coming into the market over a relatively predictable time period (I don't know the years but you could look at actuarial data on the US population to get a rough idea).

I'm not sure how it will play out, but I think its safe to say that most cards bequeathed in some way will end up on the market if for no other reason than the personal tastes of children and their parents are rarely in perfect alignment and selling will probably make sense to most.

Quote:
There is more information now than ever, we affectionally call it "big data." You can see how many members are in facebook groups, how many podcasts or apps are being downloaded, online bid volume trends, what cards are being liked, tweeted or instagrammed. What did we have before? card convention attendance counts? Definitely more information now than ever. The issue is how to find it and do you want to pay up for it.
Yes, though ironically the lack of "big data" from before the internet age makes it difficult for us to assess the relevance of that (for the purposes of the subject we are discussing) since there is so little to compare. If a Facebook group dedicated to vintage cards today has 500 members, since we don't know how many members a Facebook group dedicated to vintage cards would have had in (say) 1990 if Facebook had existed then, we don't know if that number suggests there are more or fewer people collecting (and the same for other information sources).

Quote:
Regarding where the next generation will choose to spend their money, I do agree with you. There is a change from homes, extra cars and purses towards experiences like dining out and travel. Definitely a shift in preferences, but we haven't been mainstream anyways after the junk bond, whoops I mean junk card rally and collapse.
Yeah, but it takes time for these broader changes to be felt.

Quote:
Not to bring in finance, but random walk applies to efficient market hypothesis, not stocks, so it applies to all assets and not just stocks. Stocks are a key example illustrating an efficient market. Whether or not they really are is not the debate (because if they were, I wouldn't have a job).
Oh yes, that was my mistake.

But I suppose that baseball cards are an interesting example which is quite different from stocks. Stock prices under efficient market hypothesis are supposed to reflect all known information about a stock (subject to debate about timing, insider information, etc), which mostly relates to its risk and expected future cash flows.

Baseball cards produce no cash flows, risk is harder to measure, and we pretty much already know all there is about most of them (no insider information), save for where there might be the odd attic find, but those are rare. Plus the market actors are way more irrational in the sense that most purchases are made on subjective considerations (favorite player, etc) rather than objective analysis. Plus there are no institutional investors spending time and money on analyzing the market and providing signals to other investors (instead it has fickle big shots who seem to make purchases for the same reasons small shots do - bragging rights, ability to have something they really really want, etc etc, none of which is predictable or rational). So the market definitely walks randomly, but way more so than with stocks, which I think makes it way more vulnerable to the things I was talking about in my earlier post.

Quote:
WRT historical value, I have never seen Ruth play, but I enjoy learning his history and appreciate his cards. So I believe there is enough intrinsic value in his cards for me that I am willing to pay up (my discretionary income for). That aside, I don't think relative value and willingness has been decreasing, we have seen record breaking after record breaking auction prices.

Great debate. Cheers!
Fair enough, but here is an interesting card that always gives me pause for thought about how much the market is dependent on the slightest and most irrational of whims.

As an icon of 1920s culture, Charlie Chaplin is probably about as recognizable and popular as Babe Ruth in America (and considerably more well known internationally). He is huge. This card is from the 1926 Player's Straight Line Caricatures set. Its a really striking card that captures his image perfectly and with an artistic style that is totally suitable to the era. While Ruth cards generally start in the thousands of dollars, you can find this card on Ebay usually for under $10 (in fact you can probably get the whole set it came in for under $20).

The discrepancy doesn't make much sense, the Chaplin card wasn't produced in greater numbers than most Ruth cards and he is culturally about equal. The only reason I can think of for the Chaplin card being so cheap relative to Ruth stuff is that American kids in the 50s were accustomed to seeing baseball players on cards but not movie stars (well, movie star cards existed but weren't as popular). So that association in their minds grew into the modern hobby, while movie cards never took off the same way.

But that association no longer really exists in kid's minds today. While there is a lot of path dependence at work which props up the baseball card hobby, there are so many things like this Chaplin card that are equally interesting out there (at a fraction of the price) which can compete for the attention of younger people with an interest in history. Thus my pessemistic forecast about the future of baseball card prices!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaplin.jpg (69.3 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-22-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Well heres another thread such as the 'help the hobby is dieing' type of thread where we will have the same viewpoints over and over....

in a few more months will be another one of these....i think we should just save this thread and add the link the next time someone asks if the card market is taking off due to some recent auction or if asks if the market is falling due to some recent auction....just show this link

seeing the same thread over and over is sort of like watching the NBA semifinals or playoff round when a home team wins the first 2 games...the series is 'over'..but then the other team wins the next 2 game at home..now they suddenly have won it......

or the annual argument in the NFL whether a bye week makes a team rusty or if the rest is better......
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan
Fair enough, but here is an interesting card that always gives me pause for thought about how much the market is dependent on the slightest and most irrational of whims.

As an icon of 1920s culture, Charlie Chaplin is probably about as recognizable and popular as Babe Ruth in America (and considerably more well known internationally). He is huge. This card is from the 1926 Player's Straight Line Caricatures set. Its a really striking card that captures his image perfectly and with an artistic style that is totally suitable to the era. While Ruth cards generally start in the thousands of dollars, you can find this card on Ebay usually for under $10 (in fact you can probably get the whole set it came in for under $20).

The discrepancy doesn't make much sense, the Chaplin card wasn't produced in greater numbers than most Ruth cards and he is culturally about equal. The only reason I can think of for the Chaplin card being so cheap relative to Ruth stuff is that American kids in the 50s were accustomed to seeing baseball players on cards but not movie stars (well, movie star cards existed but weren't as popular). So that association in their minds grew into the modern hobby, while movie cards never took off the same way.

But that association no longer really exists in kid's minds today. While there is a lot of path dependence at work which props up the baseball card hobby, there are so many things like this Chaplin card that are equally interesting out there (at a fraction of the price) which can compete for the attention of younger people with an interest in history. Thus my pessemistic forecast about the future of baseball card prices!
#this

The irrationality of pursuing Baseball images over Chaplin images should concern us all. Stamps, art, and coins are internationally regarded. Baseball is primarily American, and it’s card values are driven by something in our culture which is probably fixed in time.

Stated another way, the reason why people don’t collect Chaplin cards today is likely to be the reason why people tomorrow would not collect Baseball cards — if we can identify the reason and stop it from happening we stand a chance!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 02-22-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
#this

The irrationality of pursuing Baseball images over Chaplin images should concern us all. Stamps, art, and coins are internationally regarded. Baseball is primarily American, and it’s card values are driven by something in our culture which is probably fixed in time.

Stated another way, the reason why people don’t collect Chaplin cards today is likely to be the reason why people tomorrow would not collect Baseball cards — if we can identify the reason and stop it from happening we stand a chance!
Wow. . . I think you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it has to be.

Charlie Chaplain's last great movie was 1940. 78 years ago.

I was in Port St. Lucie last week for the very first day of the Mets Spring training. The parking lot was crowded by 9 am. By 10 am all of the fences were lined with people including many many young kids holding cards, caps, and other stuff screaming for autographs. Young kids running in jerseys from field to field trying to see the top stars. All holding something to be signed.

I didn't think to ask any of them if they knew who Charlie Chaplain was.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-22-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:46 AM
pete ullman

the chaplain card is also a british card...and they are never that popular here...even when baseball players are on them!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 AM
Joshua

Chaplin was a silent movie actor. There was never a following of actor cards and they never really had value to begin with so it’s not a strong link.

I’m not saying it’s all rosy but I would put Chaplin more in the spoon collecting camp than sports cards. And yes cards don’t produce cash flow, but there is a personal connection and historical relevance which adds value to it. Art is no different, so as many other precious assets.

Want proof, people still collect hockey and boxing cards...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
the chaplain card is also a british card...and they are never that popular here...even when baseball players are on them!
Hi Pete, isn’t there a couple babe Ruth cards on actor type cards, they command a few hundred dollars. Wait you’re right they command a few hundred dollars.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I think there's a very rational reason this topic comes up so often. These discussions strike me as a group enabling session. People who know better get together and attempt to justify their behavior through “group think”. If I can find other people who tell me my behavior is ok, it must be ok then, right? If I know other people are spending their kids’ college tuition on baseball cards, then it becomes rational for me to do it too.

And as an aside: I think there's a very real possibility of an MLB player’s strike looming in the near future. The strikes of ’81 and ’94 turned a lot of people off to baseball for a long time. What happens to the value of a Mike Trout card if there's a prolonged strike?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Hi Pete, isn’t there a couple babe Ruth cards on actor type cards, they command a few hundred dollars. Wait you’re right they command a few hundred dollars.
exactly! and I second Scotts herd mentality comment.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Glyn Parson

Default My daughter is 12

She mildly collected football cards for a couple years. Most of the football playing boys in her class buy football cards and many of them also buy Baseball. Many of those that are not athletic buy Pokémon or magic or some other form of gaming cards. It seems at least in my area that the myth of kids not buying cards is just that a myth. Just cause it may be done differently than we did it doesn't mean it isn't being done.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-22-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I think there's a very rational reason this topic comes up so often. These discussions strike me as a group enabling session. People who know better get together and attempt to justify their behavior through “group think”. If I can find other people who tell me my behavior is ok, it must be ok then, right? If I know other people are spending their kids’ college tuition on baseball cards, then it becomes rational for me to do it too.

And as an aside: I think there's a very real possibility of an MLB player’s strike looming in the near future. The strikes of ’81 and ’94 turned a lot of people off to baseball for a long time. What happens to the value of a Mike Trout card if there's a prolonged strike?
And how is that different than the millions of people who watch CNBC all day, or participate in stock chat boards?

I'd personally be much more excited when everyone starts yelling to sell.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 AM

These threads get made out of fear, I think. And the fear is that our collections will cease to have buyers. Threads like this get made all the time and the discussion has taken place over and over again. That's because this fear is very real. But then every time the discussion takes place there's always people who pretend like everything is fine and have some counterpoint to every point someone makes re: the eventual demise of the value aspect of the hobby.

Listen, if these fears were totally unfounded this thread wouldn't be made so often. There's nothing wrong with accepting you've poured money into something that may one day have little value. Just sell soon and buy again later.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
These threads get made out of fear, I think. And the fear is that our collections will cease to have buyers. Threads like this get made all the time and the discussion has taken place over and over again. That's because this fear is very real. But then every time the discussion takes place there's always people who pretend like everything is fine and have some counterpoint to every point someone makes re: the eventual demise of the value aspect of the hobby.

Listen, if these fears were totally unfounded this thread wouldn't be made so often. There's nothing wrong with accepting you've poured money into something that may one day have little value. Just sell soon and buy again later.
People like you were saying sell, sell, sell back in the early 70s when the Wagner card was probably selling for $10,000. How did that work out?

My uncle got out of the stock market in the 1970s because it was a Ponzi scheme and overvalued. How did that work out?

Everything is ALWAYS ridiculously over priced to someone. Sometimes the guy holding it does lose his shirt. And sometime he makes a fortune.

Some crazy ass painting that everyone on this board hated of a skull just sold in NY for something insane like $400 million dollars. I'm sure someone bought it for $1 million and people were giving him all the reasons why he just made the worst decision of his life.

But to just blankedly saying any thriving market is going to collapse decades from now is just guesswork.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-22-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Al Richter

Or collect what you enjoy, with funds your family will not need, without regard to what they may sell for some day when you are dead or dying.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
People like you were saying sell, sell, sell back in the early 70s when the Wagner card was probably selling for $10,000. How did that work out?
Well that's not really true since my theory is predicated on the boomers collections entering the market en masse after a die off, which didn't happen in the 70s. Also the exact people spending money on the Wagner are the people I'm talking about exiting the market. Unless there's some firebrand tech kid in his 20s who buys the next Wagner.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM

The cream will always rise. The best cards (or memorabilia) of the best players, will always be considered "blue chip" material, and will always be in demand. Obviously they'll be peaks & valleys, but the better/best items will hold their value.

In addition to vintage, I think this can/will hold true for more contemporary items, such as important game used bats (Jeter, Trout, etc), uniforms, and some very limited production cards.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Well that's not really true since my theory is predicated on the boomers collections entering the market en masse after a die off, which didn't happen in the 70s. Also the exact people spending money on the Wagner are the people I'm talking about exiting the market. Unless there's some firebrand tech kid in his 20s who buys the next Wagner.
That exactly who WILL buy the next Wagner. Bingo.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Let me know where this kid is when you find him. I have cards he may like.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Wow. . . I think you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it has to be.

Charlie Chaplain's last great movie was 1940. 78 years ago.

I was in Port St. Lucie last week for the very first day of the Mets Spring training. The parking lot was crowded by 9 am. By 10 am all of the fences were lined with people including many many young kids holding cards, caps, and other stuff screaming for autographs. Young kids running in jerseys from field to field trying to see the top stars. All holding something to be signed.

I didn't think to ask any of them if they knew who Charlie Chaplain was.
Er...Babe Ruth hit his last home run 83 years ago and most little kids don't know who he is either. They also line up for movies today and ask movie stars for autographs. Not sure how this is relevant.

My point was simply that Ruth and Chaplin as cultural figures are about equalyy recognizable to the general public today. Most people have probably never seen a Chaplin film (or a Ruth home run of course) but could tell you who he is if you showed them a picture. So its odd that cards of one are worth a ton while those of the other aren't. There are a lot of reasons which we all know why that is the case of course, but they all really boil down to the simple fact that American kids grew accustomed to trading baseball cards rather than movie cards. As American kids (and future adults) no longer have that association, this distinction will likely be less and less important. 200 years from now somebody interested in 20th century antiques probably isn't going to value baseball cards per se as highly as we do above other stuff.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Joshua

Quote:

Not Rich nor a kids but, what you got? ��

Last edited by joshuanip; 02-22-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Er...Babe Ruth hit his last home run 83 years ago and most little kids don't know who he is either. They also line up for movies today and ask movie stars for autographs. Not sure how this is relevant.

My point was simply that Ruth and Chaplin as cultural figures are about equalyy recognizable to the general public today. Most people have probably never seen a Chaplin film (or a Ruth home run of course) but could tell you who he is if you showed them a picture. So its odd that cards of one are worth a ton while those of the other aren't. There are a lot of reasons which we all know why that is the case of course, but they all really boil down to the simple fact that American kids grew accustomed to trading baseball cards rather than movie cards. As American kids (and future adults) no longer have that association, this distinction will likely be less and less important. 200 years from now somebody interested in 20th century antiques probably isn't going to value baseball cards per se as highly as we do above other stuff.
So you think the average kid today who is a baseball fan has never heard of Babe Ruth? Seriously?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...13-column.html

I'd feel a bit more comfortable saying that the kids lining up for the next Justin Bieber movie have never heard of Charlie Chaplin. Or even Clint Eastwood for that matter.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-22-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post

I disagree. Don’t know Babe Ruth? Maybe in Tibet. Maybe in Japan, wait they have Sudaroo to compare to Babe Ruth. OK just Tibet.

My wife knows who Babe Ruth is. Why? For the same reason why my son will know who Babe Ruth is because I will tell him.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
That exactly who WILL buy the next Wagner. Bingo.
I went to the White Plains show in January and was talking with one of the dealers. He had a 52 Mantle on display(I think it was a PSA 1.5 or 2) and a couple of younger guys in their 20's or 30's came by and was looking at the cards he had displayed. The younger guy wanted to take a look at the 52 Mantle and said that he wanted to save to someday buy a 52 Mantle.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I disagree. Don’t know Babe Ruth? Maybe in Tibet. Maybe in Japan, wait they have Sudaroo to compare to Babe Ruth. OK just Tibet.

My wife knows who Babe Ruth is. Why? For the same reason why my son will know who Babe Ruth is because I will tell him.
For the same reason my son has heard of Marilyn Monroe but not Jayne Mansfield.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-22-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Sean McGinty

I don't know, I was really into baseball and cards when I was a kid but it wasn't until I was probably 9 or 10 years old that I came to know who Ruth was. Don Mattingly I knew way before I knew who Ruth was. Maybe kids today learn about history earlier? I had no idea. That is great to learn.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I'm still waiting for Beanie Baby prices to rebound.
That comment made me laugh out loud.

Everything is cyclical and don't forget it is just cardboard. Would the bottom falling out of the card market even make the front page of the local paper or a leading story on a 24 hour news channel? I think not. Card collecting is a niche thing. Yes, there are deep pocket types who want to own the best card, nicest car, biggest house etc. It remains to be seen if there are enough newbies to the hobby to sustain current price levels. Fact is, like Bill Murray said in "Meatballs" - "It just doesn't matter. I just doesn't matter."

I am enjoying the discourse. One thing missing from the discussion (or I missed it) is having enjoyed playing the game. Soccer, lacrosse, cup stacking, hockey (ice time was scarce in Hawaii) were not options during my childhood. But baseball was a constant. Around 9-10 years of age trading cards at school was popular.

I want to believe that the majority of collector's out there enjoyed playing the game or have some emotional tie (went to games with a family member etc.) to the game. How many of you out there never played the game, woke up one day and said "I am going to start collecting baseball cards"? Quite a few folks on the board have lamented the fact that their offspring have zero interest in maintaining the collection. My two boys enjoy attending card shows, but it isn't a given that they will continue the collection I have amassed.

I have never looked at the hobby as an investment. I just enjoy collecting. I have the collecting bug.

(The Graduate - Updated)

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Bitcoin.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in bitcoin. Think about it. Will you think about it?

Last edited by Huck; 02-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Charlie Chaplin cards may not have much value, but an original movie poster from one of his silents is worth a bundle. So he certainly is not forgotten.

And a few posters have cited the weakness in stamp and coin collecting, and as at one time a collector of both, they are at least partially correct. Those coins and stamps that are somewhat esoteric, that need to be studied, and are raw, are suffering. There is simply a smaller number of serious collectors these days. And the ones who still do collect them have a lot of gray hair. That collecting pool isn't getting any younger.

But as far as slabbed coins and stamps, ones of great rarity or top-notch condition, there is a ton of new money coming in. But these people aren't collectors in the same way. Many treat their purchases as portfolio assets. They don't study that much and probably don't have the time or inclination.

It's just a shift in what's popular and how people collect. There's an incredible amount of money among the top 1%, and they are only interested in world class pieces. A lower grade coin or stamp, regardless of its history, doesn't have much appeal. To them the most important thing is the number on the slab.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-22-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Why would you need "this kid" in a currently thriving marketplace?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:08 AM

I don't. I was talking about the future.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Gobucsmagic74

A lot of us plan on being around for the next 30-40 years minimum so when exactly were you thinking? On that note, has there ever been an age demographic poll on Net54? I can't remember ever seeing one in my 5 or so years on the board. That might be interesting
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
There is a story on Blowout about a collector selling his company for 2.1 Billion dollars. Sports will always be popular. There will always be fans who are successful and will want to put money into key pieces. Just like some like art and will keep the art market going. If you want to sell your Wagner, 52 Mantle, Ruth's, Cobb's, etc. I don't see the problem. If you are looking for someone to sell your 1985-1994 sets to, I don't think that is going to go well for you.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Charlie Chaplin cards may not have much value, but an original movie poster from one of his silents is worth a bundle. So he certainly is not forgotten.

And a few posters have cited the weakness in stamp and coin collecting, and as at one time a collector of both, they are at least partially correct. Those coins and stamps that are somewhat esoteric, that need to be studied, and are raw, are suffering. There is simply a smaller number of serious collectors these days. And the ones who still do collect them have a lot of gray hair. That collecting pool isn't getting any younger.

But as far as slabbed coins and stamps, ones of great rarity or top-notch condition, there is a ton of new money coming in. But these people aren't collectors in the same way. Many treat their purchases as portfolio assets. They don't study that much and probably don't have the time or inclination.

It's just a shift in what's popular and how people collect. There's an incredible amount of money among the top 1%, and they are only interested in world class pieces. A lower grade coin or stamp, regardless of its history, doesn't have much appeal. To them the most important thing is the number on the slab.
You’re just spewing blab
If you ain’t got the slab.
Doo wa Doo wa Doo wa

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.