NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Todd C

Default Antique Mall Finds...

Found this at a local antique mall for an amazing $3.00.

you read it right.... $3.00

any other stories out there ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scrapp_latham.jpg (74.4 KB, 1122 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Great find....I've found lots of stuff in malls.

Just this week I picked up this for $20

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
qualitycards

Great Latham Scrapps pickup!
I have a million antique malls around me and I can never find any good deals.
Just beat up 70's cards that they listed Mint prices and musty Life magazines
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Scott S

Funny, I tried an antique mall this afternoon for the first time in years. The only cards I found were a 1988 Topps Yankees team set in VG for $10.

I will have that team set listed on the BST later tonight, so please no flood of PM's about it.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Latham

A few years ago I found a Scrapps Latham at a garage sale for $10.

While I was on vacation and passing through West Virginia I stopped at an antique mall and found a bunch of vintage non-sports cards and early tobacco coupons for a buck each.

A large antique mall here in Wisconsin has a nice selection of decent priced T206's. Unfortunately, they are reprints. The mall owner is aware of it, but doesn't seem to care.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM

I haven't been to an antique mall in a few years, however, before eBay (and even in it's infancy) I found some good things at antique malls.

I found a 1923 Univeristy of Illinois football program (missing six pages including the rosters) for $5 dollars. This program was special because it was commemorating the opening of the new football stadium. What was REALLY special about it though was the game was against Michigan and Red Grange scored six touchdowns that day.

I found a stack of at least 30 B33 blankets for $3 dollars a piece. Variuos colleges and universities were represented as well as various sports (including one basketball). All the blankets still had their fringes attached and had no stitch marks from being sewn into something.

As far as baseball goes, not as much luck except for this pencil box which I paid $23 dollars for.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penbox.jpg (70.6 KB, 870 views)

Last edited by ctownboy; 03-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Dynarl Broughman

I picked up this Railroad Bat at an antique mall a few years ago in a bucket of railroad tools. It's 32" long and I think from the 1870's

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Scott

LOL At the team sets. I have a plethora of Antique malls/Permanent set up flea markets within an hour/hour half of me, and sadly, Most have recycled stuff. Dealers don't sell stuff , they don't lower the prices either if it goes unsold.

That said, my favorite outdoor flea starts soon. Last year, I got a 1973 stats strat game for 10.00 and sold it for I think 140+. Its just a matter of luck, I guess.

Still, going to antique malls, "permanent fleas" and weekly outdoor flea markets is a blast.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Back in the 70's and early 80's I picked up my 1st T 206's at flea markets for about $2 each. I even remember where I got them, McGinnity and Casey in Georgia, Phillippe in Peoria, Chance in Fort Wayne, and the rest at Shipshewana, IN flea market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206.jpg (68.0 KB, 656 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Todd C

the antique mall also had some T206's from another seller. Wanting $50-75 for commons. I checked all of the backs.....all Piedmont and SC.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Clayton

Default Just got this........

Just found this at a local antique mall.......I haven't ever seen something like this- it is some type of needlework, was already framed and has that old smell to it (sort of like some raw T206's ).........does anyone have anything similar ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 041.jpg (72.7 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg various 042.jpg (78.1 KB, 538 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I haven't been to an antique mall in a few years, however, before eBay (and even in it's infancy) I found some good things at antique malls.

I found a 1923 Univeristy of Illinois football program (missing six pages including the rosters) for $5 dollars. This program was special because it was commemorating the opening of the new football stadium. What was REALLY special about it though was the game was against Michigan and Red Grange scored six touchdowns that day.

I found a stack of at least 30 B33 blankets for $3 dollars a piece. Variuos colleges and universities were represented as well as various sports (including one basketball). All the blankets still had their fringes attached and had no stitch marks from being sewn into something.

As far as baseball goes, not as much luck except for this pencil box which I paid $23 dollars for.

David
Hey David,

Nice pencil box! Did you know Barry Halper had 3 of them in his famous '99 Sotheby's auction that sold for almost $2,000?

Jimi
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM

Jimi,

No, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I have owned mine since the early 1990's and before you told me about the Halper auction, knew of only three or four times a box like mine had come up for sale in all of those years.

When I bought my pencil box, I didn't know anything bout it except it looked old. Later, after I found out it was made in the late 1800's, I made up a fantasy about how a young boy would take his pencil box to school during the day and then come home and look at his Old Judge collection at night.

What I would really like to know is exactly how old the box is, who made it and approximately how many might still be in existence.

Thanks again,

David
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Tom Boblitt

VERY Reminiscent of the N284 Buchner Gold Coin tobacco cards. I can't believe it wasn't the same artist or a good copycat.............

I found a Dan Brouthers Scraps card in a local antique mall that I used to have a booth in about 12-15 years ago. It was very clean and priced at $200. I made an offer with the mall mgmt of $125 and eventually bought it for $150. So it wasn't a steal but it was an interesting find. Have found some nice mini bats over the years at antique malls but they're usually not steals either...........
Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Jimi,

What I would really like to know is exactly how old the box is, who made it and approximately how many might still be in existence.

Thanks again,

David
David,

Great fantasy!

All I can tell you about the box is that it was made in the 1880's. I believe they came with two or three separate compartments to hold pencils and other writing things, and they are quite rare. Great pick up! I would think it would be a nice conversation piece.

Jimi
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Jason

Default Actually, that's probably worth quite a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Funny, I tried an antique mall this afternoon for the first time in years. The only cards I found were a 1988 Topps Yankees team set in VG for $10.

I will have that team set listed on the BST later tonight, so please no flood of PM's about it.

You have any idea how hard it is to find late 80s stuff in that condition!?!?!? Everything I see is always mint!

Last edited by JasonL; 03-10-2011 at 07:28 PM.