NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Rob Miller

Default OT: RIP Gil McDougald

One of my father's favorite players growing up...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Last edited by Robextend; 11-29-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM

I used a Gil McDougald model glove when playing Little League around 1960. Still have the glove.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Ditto - my dad always played catch with his McDougald model glove.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Jon Canfield

One of the nicest ball players I ever met. A sad loss.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Chris Counts

Was there ever a player who was on more winning teams in fewer seasons than Gil McDougald? He played on eight pennant winners and six World Series champs in just 10 years in the major leagues. He was also the first Yankee to win the Lou Gehrig Award. Rest in peace, Gil ...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Jeff

Default Gil Mac

I concur with Jon. Maybe the nicest ex-player I ever met. RIP Gil.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Barry Arnold

Default gil m

i remember watching him play when i was just getting into baseball myself as a kid. the yankees were all that mattered back then.

a sad day, indeed.
my condolences to family,friends,fans

barry
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 AM

My Grandparents used to vacation every year in Spring Lake NJ in the late 60,s early 70,s and I remember meeting Gil several times and he was always a gentleman and I loved his stories. He had Phil Rizzuto over one weekend and even though I always was a Mets fan I was in awe as a youngster. RIP GIL
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Jon Canfield

Great write-up on Gil on RiverAveBlues...

The Yankee family has lost yet another member in 2010 with the passing of Gil McDougald at the age of 82. McDougald, whose 10-year Yankee career included five world championships and eight pennants, was best know for his versatility, a quality that made him a favorite of Casey Stengel, who once called him “the best second baseman, the best third baseman, and best shortstop in the American League”.

McDougald’s unorthodox batting stance didn’t make a good first impression with manager Casey Stengel.
McDougald broke into the majors alongside two other notable New York rookies: Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays. Although that centerfield duo would reach legendary status, in 1951, the Yankees’ understated swing man was the toast of the town. Not only did he have a better season than both Mantle and Mays, but he also won the American League Rookie of the Year award and became the first freshman to belt a grand slam in the World Series.

The irony of McDougald’s immediate superiority over his Hall of Fame counterparts was just as evident in 1951 as it is now. While Mantle and Mays both inspired predictions of greatness, the only thing McDougald elicited was laughter…literally. His unique batting style, which now would be called an open stance, was often referred to as a “school girl swing”, leading Stengel and several Yankee coaches to doubt his ability to hit major league pitching, After hitting .306 with 14 home runs, however, it was McDougald who had the last laugh. In fact, after hitting the grand slam against the Giants in game five of the World Series, Stengel proudly told AP, “He’s the lousiest looking ball player in the world, but he’s splendid”.

Everything he does looks wrong but it comes out right. He bats funny, but he hits like heck. He’s got a peculiar way of throwing but his arm is strong and accurate. He runs like a pacer but he is fast and knows how to run the bases. He’s only a rookie but he’s done as much for me as any of the veterans”. – Yankees manager Casey Stengel, quoted by Joe Reichler of AP, October 10, 1951

Unfortunately, McDougald’s career was also notable for two infamous beanings. On August 3, 1955, he was hit in the left hear by a batting practice line drive off the bat of Bob Cerv. Although the ball caused significant swelling and a severe laceration, the early diagnosis from team doctors was that the injuries weren’t serious. So, after a visit to the hospital for x-rays, McDougald was back on the field only three days later. Eventually, however, the injuries he sustained would lead to a gradual loss of hearing in not only his left ear, but the right as well. By the mid-1970s, McDougald, who was then a coach for the Fordham University baseball team, was almost completely deaf, and remained so until receiving a cochlear implant in 1994. After having his hearing restored, McDougald once again proved his versatility by becoming a tireless advocate for both the hearing-impaired and the cochlear technology capable of helping them.

In the second incident, which took place on May 7, 1957, Indians’ pitcher Herb Score was the victim of a screaming line drive off the bat of McDougald. Only 12 pitches into the game, the Yankees’ short stop sent a rope back to the mound that ricocheted off Score’s right eye toward third base for a 1-5-3 groundout. The young left hander immediately began to bleed profusely from his eye and was eventually carried off the field on a stretcher. McDougald, who along with teammates Yogi Berra and Hank Bauer went to Lakeside Hospital in Cleveland immediately after the game to check on Score’s condition, was so shaken by the incident that he told reporters that he would quit baseball if the pitcher went blind. Although Score’s vision was completely restored, he didn’t pitch again until the following season and was never effective again. After the 1962 season, Score retired at the age 29.

It’s amazing how many things can go through your mind when a thing like that happens. Before I hit the ground, I thought about being blinded for life, that my teeth were knocked out, that my nose was broken and that something had happened to my tongue”. – Indians left hander Herb Score after being hit in the eye by a line drive, quoted by AP, May 8, 1957

Spending more time with his family was a driving force behind McDougald’s early retirement (Photo: Life).
McDougald’s career also came to a premature end after the 1960 season. His early retirement at age 32 was partly due to his gradual hearing loss, but mostly borne of the desire to spend more time with his family and manage his building maintenance business in New Jersey. After ruminating on the decision since the end of the 1960 World Series, McDougald finally made his announcement upon learning that he would be left unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft. According to the Yankees’ infielder, he didn’t want one of the new teams to waste a selection on him in case he decided to hang it up. It was a typical display of class from a man who had become well known for exhibiting that quality.

McDougald brought more than physical skills to the Yankees. He brought them an extra touch of class, honesty, decency and integrity. He announced his retirement when he did because ‘it was the honorable thing to do’. It was typical of him”. - New York Times columnist Arthur Dailey, December 16, 1960
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Rob Miller

Great post Jon...thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Gil McDougald

Jon

Thanks for that very interesting story on Gil McDougald.

Growing up a Yankees fan during the late 1940's and thru the 1950's, I have many fond memories of watching Gil play.

Here are two significant ones. The scenario is the 5th game of the 1951 World Series. The Giants just intentionally walked Johnny Mize to
load up the bases. Durocher thought McDougald would be an easy out. Casey Stengel told Gil...."Hit one out, Mac". Indeed, McDougald hit
a Grand Slam.
Gil was the A.L. Rookie of the Year in 1951.

The 2nd scenario is also in the 5th game of a World Series. Oct 8th 1956....Gil made a perfect play, and made a perfect throw to preserve
a Perfect game. In the top of the 2nd inning, Jackie Robinson hits a hard drive between Andy Carey (3b) and McDougald (ss). The ball de-
flects off Carey's glove, Gil quickly grabs the errant ball and fires it to Joe Collins (1b) ....which beats Jackie by a split second.

1st cards....1952 Bowman (Spring of '52).............................1952 Topps (Fall of '52)
[linked image]

Jon, I agree with your comment on Gil......"One of the nicest ball players I ever met"......a real fine gentleman.

TED Z
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Tim

Default RIP Gil

Gil's rookie card, after ROY 1951 season...........my only McDougald card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McDougald33.jpg (52.4 KB, 32 views)